Got fired today

DoubleJ

Half-staff Member
Oct 30, 2008
Shelton, WA
Marklar
₥0
Technically. I was on a temporary promotion. I did not live up to expectations so, I am being released to my old job early.

I did not have the experience needed to do the job but, because my mom and my now former boss are good buddies, he actually broke the law to get me hired into that promotion. I had experience in one small aspect of the job and he used that to hire me over 3 other better qualified applicants. Basically, I was hired for an 18 month job based on expertice that was only needed for 6 weeks of said job and now, it's apparently my fault that I didn't work out so well.

I fucking hate bosses.

at least you have time to post in internet forums again now.

is there an associated pay cut? what laws were broken to hire you?

good that you have the old job to go back to...not a good time to be completely fired...I'd lick my wounds, go get drunk, forget it ever happened and move on

at least you have time to post in internet forums again now.

is there an associated pay cut? what laws were broken to hire you?

This is the job I had that allowed me to post on forums from time to time. When I go back to my old job, I actually have to work.

Yes there is a paycut of about $1000/month

Broken law:

I work for the Gov't. I was a WG-5 Warehouseman with no college. I was hired into a GS-11 job. GS-11 jobs require a Masters Degree or a shitload of work experience in a related field.

Basically without college, you would need to follow this path: 3 years of a GS-5 (slightly abocve entry level position, basically = to WG-5) qualifies you for GS-7. 3 years of GS-7 qualifies you for GS-9. 3 years of GS-9 qualifies you for GS-11. They aren't supposed to be able to hire outside of these parameters. I have 3 years experience and only 1.5 years of experience in this field.

Last edited:
yea, it was only a temporary job for 18 months and then I go back. I only made it 13 months though and now, the being released early is going to look REALLY bad on a resume

I would think that the fact you lasted that long in a job you were fully unqualified for is more of a plus than a minus. You just need to spin it right.

I would think that the fact you lasted that long in a job you were fully unqualified for is more of a plus than a minus. You just need to spin it right.

spin spin spin

Does anyone have to know it was supposed to be an 18 month job? (future employers that is)

if he works for the govt and is going to keep on doing so, there is no way for him to spin or hide that

This is the job I had that allowed me to post on forums from time to time. When I go back to my old job, I actually have to work.

Yes there is a paycut of about $1000/month

Broken law:

I work for the Gov't. I was a WG-5 Warehouseman with no college. I was hired into a GS-11 job. GS-11 jobs require a Masters Degree or a shitload of work experience in a related field.

Basically without college, you would need to follow this path: 3 years of a GS-5 (slightly abocve entry level position, basically = to WG-5) qualifies you for GS-7. 3 years of GS-7 qualifies you for GS-9. 3 years of GS-9 qualifies you for GS-11. They aren't supposed to be able to hire outside of these parameters. I have 3 years experience and only 1.5 years of experience in this field.

GS-11 is some pretty good pay, depending on where you live. That sucks ass. Anything you can do to fight it? Claim chemical dependance or something and get help? :fly:

GS-11 is some pretty good pay, depending on where you live. That sucks ass. Anything you can do to fight it? Claim chemical dependance or something and get help? :fly:

Thought about it but, honestly, for the first time since starting to work for the gov't, I hate my job. I don't like hating my job and the money, while nice, I don't think is worth doing that. It's only a few more months anyway

Your wife doesn't know you lost your job? She will tomorrow when you decide not to leave the house early and go sleep in the parking lot at the movie theater.