Ontopic Google Now

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥3,706
Do any of you use Google Now? I've been thinking about giving it a try to help with organization. I like that you can use it to mine your email and all that stuff. Might help me keep better track of my business.

Can you link it to multiple gmail accounts? Can it create calendar events based on emails?

What crazy stuff can it do? Does it effect battery life? Does it scare you because it's too creepy and you distrust Google?

Thanks,
Cletus

Good timing dude, I just started messing with it last night. So far, pretty awesome.

At the default settings, it did the following

A) mined out all current shipments I had on my way to me, mapped them by delivery date, and started monitoring the tracking numbers
B) Mapped out my next 4 or 5 plane flights, will alert me once they get close

Sweet! I'm wondering if it will be able to track my incoming orders/payments and action them to a calendar or to-do list. Can you define the gmail mining parameters for specific items?

the biggest thing its done is make me want to not have gingerbread on my phone :p I needs me some jellybean, my phone had better get rooted soon

the biggest thing its done is make me want to not have gingerbread on my phone :p I needs me some jellybean, my phone had better get rooted soon
What phone do you have that's still on GB? Scary.
Ya, its not that customizable yet.
Seems not. I wanted it to work with all the accounts on my device, not so much. At least it can still read all the shared calendars.

Edit: I think I may purchase tasker. I have a feeling I can make it work in conjunction with Now to accomplish some of the tasks I'm looking for.

Last edited:
What phone do you have that's still on GB? Scary.

Seems not. I wanted it to work with all the accounts on my device, not so much. At least it can still read all the shared calendars.

Its actually a brand new phone (motorola defy XT), and perfectly capable of running 4.0 and up (and does, on other carriers), but my carrier is unique. Republic wireless.

20 bucks a month unlimited everything, because its hybridized calling. Auto transition between wifi (when available) and cell (sprint). Thus, the ROM is pretty heavily customized and rooting has been a challenge due to a number of protection features in place.

Its actually a brand new phone (motorola defy XT), and perfectly capable of running 4.0 and up (and does, on other carriers), but my carrier is unique. Republic wireless.

20 bucks a month unlimited everything, because its hybridized calling. Auto transition between wifi (when available) and cell (sprint). Thus, the ROM is pretty heavily customized and rooting has been a challenge due to a number of protection features in place.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/05/exclusive-how-to-root-republic-wireless-motorola-defy-xt/

:rofl: @ fly

Edit: super easy actually. With adb already setup this is not even 10 minutes.

I thought about going republic but their partnership with sprint killed it from the get go. Sprint is horrible in Chicago. Plus, I use 3-4gb mobile data every month.

How do you like their service? Any problems with wifi calling?

Last edited:
:rofl: @ fly

I thought about going republic but their partnership with sprint killed it from the get go. Sprint is horrible in Chicago. Plus, I use 3-4gb mobile data every month.

How do you like their service? Any problems with wifi calling?

I've had no issues, wifi calling works well, and my current data usage is about 6 gigs a month thus far. You have unlimited mobile data with them, so your high usage wouldnt be an issue. Its not like you're required to use wifi a certain amount of the time (or at all technically)

Update:
After using it a while I can see some utility there. I like the voice command messaging and how it constantly keeps track of a route home (with eta). Came in handy when looking for grub, some restaurant cards popped up and saved the day.

Overall I think it needs another generation or two before it is where it needs to be. Until it can handle multiple email accounts with their own events/calendars I don't see myself using it much. I was excited when I thought it was a virtual assistant, disappointed when I found out it's not really a virtual assistant.

Update:
After using it a while I can see some utility there. I like the voice command messaging and how it constantly keeps track of a route home (with eta). Came in handy when looking for grub, some restaurant cards popped up and saved the day.

Overall I think it needs another generation or two before it is where it needs to be. Until it can handle multiple email accounts with their own events/calendars I don't see myself using it much. I was excited when I thought it was a virtual assistant, disappointed when I found out it's not really a virtual assistant.

While i hate hate hate to do it, it works way way better if you turn your google web history on. I google way too much shady shit to have it recorded for all eternity.

Update:

The voice search is just slightly short of amazing. It also seems to get about 90% of text messages right.