Google getting a little in over their heads?

wr3kt

Flaccid Member
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥0
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114540479486029401.html?mod=technology_main_whats_news
If you have access...
If not:
Google Inc. announced an upgrade to its search service Wednesday that allows corporate workers to access a company's own documents and databases, in a move that underscores the Internet giant's ambitions in the corporate market.

Google is making the improvements to the Search Appliance bundle of hardware and software that it sells to businesses and which the company introduced in 2002. The upgrade mirrors a feature in Google's core Web search service and will make it easier to find information held in heavy-duty corporate applications such as databases from Oracle Corp. (See related article.)

Analysts say the Google improvements aren't revolutionary but could broaden the use of search tools as a way for employees to access corporate data, in the same way that Google helped popularize searching the Web for consumers. The analysts say the Google upgrade will also likely intensify pricing pressure on other companies offering so-called enterprise search, such as Autonomy Corp., since Google's offering is priced among the cheapest.

At the same time, Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt signaled in an interview that the Mountain View, Calif., company expected to offer services beyond search to corporate customers. It is currently providing its Gmail email service to a few universities in a test.

Mr. Schmidt said that it was a "question of prioritization" as to when Google might offer Gmail as well as its new Calendar as services companies could use to replace their corporate email and datebook systems. He said Google might allow such services to run on computers operated by the corporate customer rather than on Google's own computers.

Google's ambitions in the corporate market will likely bring it into further competition with Microsoft Corp. The Redmond, Wash., software company's Outlook product is widely used by companies for employee email and calendars.

With the upgrade to the corporate search product, Google is highlighting a new feature it calls "OneBox," which allows corporate users to get quick, formatted answers to queries. Google already displays OneBox results through its standard Web search service, such as a four-day forecast when consumers type in "weather" and their ZIP codes. In the same way, corporate users will be able to obtain internally stored company information such as contact information or sales leads.

"It's a change in the way application data is going to be viewed," Mr. Schmidt said.

Google says it has a total of more than 3,000 customers for its Search Appliance hardware and software bundle, whose pricing starts at $30,000, and a less expensive product called Mini.

This business is tiny for Google; advertising is the company's main source of revenue, representing around 99% of Google's $6.1 billion in revenue last year.

The corporate offerings generally don't display advertising. Mr. Schmidt said that Google had debated how to display advertising through the products and services it sells to corporate users, but believes "there's sort of a limit to how much advertising we can do in a product we sell."

Am I right in assuming this means it's going to allow access to a company's documents and databases through google?
In a perfect world, that's awesome...but in terms of data security...this seems like a very dangerous idea.

Someone have more insight on this?

Last edited:
wr3kt said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114540479486029401.html?mod=technology_main_whats_news
If you have access...
If not:
Google Inc. announced an upgrade to its search service Wednesday that allows corporate workers to access a company's own documents and databases, in a move that underscores the Internet giant's ambitions in the corporate market.

Google is making the improvements to the Search Appliance bundle of hardware and software that it sells to businesses and which the company introduced in 2002. The upgrade mirrors a feature in Google's core Web search service and will make it easier to find information held in heavy-duty corporate applications such as databases from Oracle Corp. (See related article.)

Analysts say the Google improvements aren't revolutionary but could broaden the use of search tools as a way for employees to access corporate data, in the same way that Google helped popularize searching the Web for consumers. The analysts say the Google upgrade will also likely intensify pricing pressure on other companies offering so-called enterprise search, such as Autonomy Corp., since Google's offering is priced among the cheapest.

At the same time, Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt signaled in an interview that the Mountain View, Calif., company expected to offer services beyond search to corporate customers. It is currently providing its Gmail email service to a few universities in a test.

Mr. Schmidt said that it was a "question of prioritization" as to when Google might offer Gmail as well as its new Calendar as services companies could use to replace their corporate email and datebook systems. He said Google might allow such services to run on computers operated by the corporate customer rather than on Google's own computers.

Google's ambitions in the corporate market will likely bring it into further competition with Microsoft Corp. The Redmond, Wash., software company's Outlook product is widely used by companies for employee email and calendars.

With the upgrade to the corporate search product, Google is highlighting a new feature it calls "OneBox," which allows corporate users to get quick, formatted answers to queries. Google already displays OneBox results through its standard Web search service, such as a four-day forecast when consumers type in "weather" and their ZIP codes. In the same way, corporate users will be able to obtain internally stored company information such as contact information or sales leads.

"It's a change in the way application data is going to be viewed," Mr. Schmidt said.

Google says it has a total of more than 3,000 customers for its Search Appliance hardware and software bundle, whose pricing starts at $30,000, and a less expensive product called Mini.

This business is tiny for Google; advertising is the company's main source of revenue, representing around 99% of Google's $6.1 billion in revenue last year.

The corporate offerings generally don't display advertising. Mr. Schmidt said that Google had debated how to display advertising through the products and services it sells to corporate users, but believes "there's sort of a limit to how much advertising we can do in a product we sell."

Am I right in assuming this means it's going to allow access to a companies documents and databases through google?
In a perfect world, that's awesome...but in terms of data security...this seems like a very dangerous idea.

Someone have more insight on this?

*shrugs, I guess the security is entirely dependent on the inherent permissions and the way it's configured by the company, which is ultimately the company's concern, not Google's.

KNYTE said:
*shrugs, I guess the security is entirely dependent on the inherent permissions and the way it's configured by the company, which is ultimately the company's concern, not Google's.

True, but you're still getting into a shady area where even if the documents aren't of critical nature, they're still company documents...and some employees aren't really bright and could leave important documents accesible.

wr3kt said:
True, but you're still getting into a shady area where even if the documents aren't of critical nature, they're still company documents...and some employees aren't really bright and could leave important documents accesible.
So Google should protect them from themselves? A Robot.txt file could solve alot...

FlamingGlory said:
So Google should protect them from themselves? A Robot.txt file could solve alot...

My point is that it's just another way to get access to company files. Though, I'm not sure of the security measures that it'll be using, it just seems a little...much. Plus, I imagine a lot of the queries will be saved onto google servers. Another securtiy thing.

No security breach. You have a server on site that you buy from google. Then this gets configured for Intranet use only. Our company is in the process of implementing this (or at least looking into it)

I.C.Water said:
dude thats a closed system in the company it wont be accessable by regular google or anyone else

It goes through the google network it seems.

Last edited:
Coqui said:
No security breach. You have a server on site that you buy from google. Then this gets configured for Intranet use only. Our company is in the process of implementing this (or at least looking into it)
So it's just a VPN with beefed up search capability?

this is why ford released a nice little memo to the fuctards here stating that google desktop is NOT a fod approved or supported product.

do any of you know how many calls I got after that to remove it? 43!!!
and google will not remove itself unless you are logged in as the orginal installer.

Onnotangu said:
this is why ford released a nice little memo to the fuctards here stating that google desktop is NOT a fod approved or supported product.

do any of you know how many calls I got after that to remove it? 43!!!
and google will not remove itself unless you are logged in as the orginal installer.

Google wants to take over the world.

But yes, GD has been banned at most corporations for that very reason, it's a big security risk. The Google appliance, on the other hand, is a rack-mounted search engine, like mentioned above. We've got a few here at CW.

Shadow said:
Google wants to take over the world.

But yes, GD has been banned at most corporations for that very reason, it's a big security risk. The Google appliance, on the other hand, is a rack-mounted search engine, like mentioned above. We've got a few here at CW.
well that..is already in the works.the search engine . i think the website is even up already.

Shadow said:
The Google appliance, on the other hand, is a rack-mounted search engine, like mentioned above. We've got a few here at CW.

Why is there a search engine mounted on my wife's boobs? And what are you doing with them!?

I think if anyone's security has been breached here, it's Google's

on those racks 4 sale lie Google's primo search algorithms

ya dig what I'm sayin'?