Goodbye

Bubbles said:
My last job was secretarial at a law firm. I was fired because I couldn't learn Quickbooks.

edit: You know, I've never actually looked for a job with my degree. I wonder if that would make a difference at all, I mean it's only a two year AA....

edit edit: I work with subs and the counties to get permits to build new homes.

You can take training courses to learn quickbooks. Look it up online.

But I was talking about clerking. File clerks are where a lot of people start and work their way up. Maintain and organize case files and other things. And good firms will take care of you.

The key to finding great jobs, and I learned this from a friend of the family who is the CEO of a major corporation you've all heard of, is cold calling.

90% of available jobs are NOT advertised. That is a HUGE number. Find a place you want to work, call up and inquire about what openings they have, and sell yourself. That's how I got where I am today.

DRIVE is all it takes to find a good job. So many people call two or three places in response to some job ad, don't get the job, and then sit back and think they're failures. It's ludicrous.

And if 90% of all openings are unadvertised, guess what the vast majority of people are going to be doing? Calling about the advertised ones. So you'll actually have an edge by avoiding that route.

Every great job I've ever had, including my 2-year stint at the Dept. of Justice, was the result of cold-calling. And HR recruiters actually find it refreshing when people take time to personally inquire as opposed to mass mailing resumes. Most resumes go into the garbage, too. Another job fact.

Lord Flaccid said:
Most resumes go into the garbage, too. Another job fact.
Truth... actually, I browse them over and throw all of them in the garbage. If a person wants a job they need to talk to me, not drop off a resume and walk away. I need to see ambition, drive, dedication and a willingness to do what it takes to accomplish the desired result (in this case, getting a job).

If that makes any sense.

zengirl said:
Truth... actually, I browse them over and throw all of them in the garbage. If a person wants a job they need to talk to me, not drop off a resume and walk away. I need to see ambition, drive, dedication and a willingness to do what it takes to accomplish the desired result (in this case, getting a job).

If that makes any sense.

Preciseamundo.

zengirl said:

If that makes any sense.

This seems different for other employers.
Some hate it when people attempt to talk to the manager or schedule something prior to the employer looking over their resume.

It's a flip of the coin, really.

My stoner sister in law that couldn't keep a job more than a week got a job working on a Yacht. She gets paid very well to play maid fetching crap and makes tons in tips. The thing is huge and rents for more than $250,000 a week. She's headed back this way in a week or two. She's been touring Europe, the mediterranean, and the coast of Africa for the past 6 months. It's wonderful job for someone young and single. She just did like Sarah said.

wr3kt said:
This seems different for other employers.
Some hate it when people attempt to talk to the manager or schedule something prior to the employer looking over their resume.

It's a flip of the coin, really.

I'm talking about places with an actual HR department. Corporate stuff, which is what she needs. Not just a hiring manager. Those are smaller shops or retail type places.

Lord Flaccid said:
I'm talking about places with an actual HR department. Corporate stuff, which is what she needs. Not just a hiring manager. Those are smaller shops or retail type places.
Ok. That makes more sense.

b_sinning said:
Quickbooks is easy.

Sounds crazy but have you ever thought about being being a travel rep for a college. The ones that work here get paid well and do 2 to 3 weeks out traveling all expenses paid and then the rest of time here. You just have to look good and visit high schools and fairs and meet and greet perspective students. It's a fun job for a single person. If you're lucky you can get some cool regions. We have a few that get paid to visit places all over the caribean. Tan and drink for a few hours a day then dress up for 2 hours to go tell people my school is great and please give us your cash then back to chilling out. Looks and personality are what they are looking for in reps.

How on earth would someone get into something like that?

edit: These all sound like good ideas, but where am I supposed to get the self-esteem?

Last edited:
Bubbles said:
How on earth would someone get into something like that?

edit: These all sound like good ideas, but where am I supposed to get the self-esteem?
The trick to that is to stop worrying about confidence and just do it.

People think too much :heart:

zengirl said:
The trick to that is to stop worrying about confidence and just do it.

People think too much :heart:

No kidding.

9 times out of 10 confidence comes from "Holy shit, that was easy."

Note the word "was", meaning it's been done and you are now reflecting on it. Confidence comes from doing things successfully, not thinking about doing them.

Pandora said:
She needs to get a new job, or she will always be their puppet.

It certainly sounds like she's getting shafted. From what she's told us about her parents she shoulda seen this coming tho. I'm sure they were not happy about her moving out of the house (out of their control), and plus after her mom went off on her about taking in refugees....

Get out from under their thumb Bubbles! :heart:

QFMFT :heart: