Thread Goodbye August... Hello September♥

KIKO IS A RACIST!!

I L-O-V-E the Fall Season :heart::heart::heart:

i went on a school trip with Kiko and his class and we went to this farm and got to pick a pumpkin at the pumpkin patch (aka Farmville)

4xfzobo.jpg

this is kiko and some semi-antique farm equipment being a racist, lol....Also that big headed Asian boy in the pic grunts to communicate with people. no words, just grunts.
r9kuut3.jpg

61t1lk4.jpg

I loveeeeee that Kiko and I have been to so many wonderful places in the world this past year. :D

You're burning logs? Not very efficient... I haer them wood pellet things are pretty nifty tho.
Efficient enough, 75%.

I have plenty of wood to cut and split, pellets are $275 a ton currently.

Wood has more btu's than pellets.

My wood stove doesn't need electricity to burn, a pellet stove does.

I've thought pretty hard about a pellet boiler to replace the ancient oil one, so's we can get more heat, but they're like $6,000 - $10,000 before installation costs.

They are, and are cheaper per btu than oil, gas, and usually electricity.

But you still have to factor in the cost of the unit, cheapo standalone units are about $1,000 or so new, nicer ones are $2,500 - $3,000 and will probably heat a whole house provided you have some method of moving the heat around.

Hot air furnaces are fairly cheap enough where it totally makes sense to use one in place of an oil/gas unit most of the time, the real limitation on use is who is going to feed it if you go away for a weekend, or a week?

You'd still need something for backup that runs continuously if you're not there so the pipes don't freeze.

Right now wood is as free as linux for me, even if I had to buy it it'd still be cheaper than pellets. Not as easy or mess free, but cheaper.

Except that splitting wood by hand is somewhat cathartic, and really the only thing that a hydraulic splitter saves you on is the splitting, you still have to move the wood around, load it into the splitter, stack it, etc.

I'll concede that it would be dramatically easier for the 30" rounds I have to deal with, I might actually rent one to take care of a pile of those I've got going, but the majority of trees I have are much thinner.