Good Interview Questions?

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
I have to do an interview for a new cabling, phone, and network support person. What types of questions should I ask the guy? The canidate appears to be pretty qualified but It's personality rather than his experienece that would get him the job. Any suggestions?

If a house has all four walls facing south, and a bear walks by the window, what color would the bear be?

how about: try and sell me this pen.
Or: how many dead hookers can you fit in the trunk of a 1996 Chevy Impala SS? Would skinning them first change that?

b_sinning said:
Would it be improper to just ask "Are you a dumbass?"

Not at all.
Then administer an "Ass Crack Test"
Have him bend over, and if more than 2inches of ass crack is exposed, send him away. You cant have excess amounts of ass crack hanging around your office.

What's the geometrical meaning of the central extension of the algebra
of diffeomorphisms of the circle?

"have you ever touched yourself to pics of goatse?"

"are all miata drivers latent homosexuals?"

"do you drink zima/wine coolers?" a positive answer is grounds for immediate expulsion fromt he property

"would you rather sexor a clown, a goat, or a kangaroo?"

why_ask_why said:
"have you ever touched yourself to pics of goatse?"

"are all miata drivers latent homosexuals?"

"do you drink zima/wine coolers?" a positive answer is grounds for immediate expulsion fromt he property

"would you rather sexor a clown, a goat, or a kangaroo?"

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. No
  4. Is a goat in a clown outfit an acceptable answer? If so, then Goat in a Clown Costume.

Network/Cabling/Phone guy?

Ask him if he's got Punch/Crimp tools of his own and if he's willing to bring them in until tools can be ordered for him.

Ask him for the color order for a standard RJ-45 jack.

Ask him to describe the difference between plenum cabling and non-plenum cabling, as well as appropriate usage for both types.

From an HR standpoint:

Ask about a time when he was forced to work with a difficult customer and what he did to resolve their issue.

Ask about a time when he was forced to work under abnormal (read: stressful) working conditions and how he overcame them.

Ask about a time that he came up with a unique and interesting solution to a problem no one else could figure out.

Ask about a time when he could not resolve an issue and what he did to mitigate that.

The whole premise here is to weed out the bullshitters. The tech questions are simple and straightforward, no explanations needed. Me personally, I would have issues trusting a cabling guy that didn't have his own punch or crimp tool. Hell, I run cable approximately once every 10 years and I've got that plus a 200ft wire fish.

For the HR questions... We typically use those to make sure that they a.) have the experience they claim, b.) can think on their feet and c.) can maintain a positive attiude when describing difficult customers/bosses/coworkers.

That's what I remember from being involved in the hiring game here.

Pandora said:
Just ask him how many quarter inches are in an inch.

no no, it was eighths.

seriously, there was a guy who was apping for a job at our mill and failed the aptitude test. One of the questions he got wrong was how many eighths are in an inch :lol:

bast_imret said:
no no, it was eighths.

seriously, there was a guy who was apping for a job at our mill and failed the aptitude test. One of the questions he got wrong was how many eighths are in an inch :lol:

That's Georgia on my mind :fly:

"Do you prefer to listen to music while you work?"

"Would you rather wear jeans to work, or dress up?"

"What's your opinion on PC?"