Thread GM will bring back the El Camino is 100,000 say so.

It would be interesting to see a survey of how many pick up owners have a second vehicle they use for daily commuting. Then we could get an idea of how cool a sporty/functional hybrid type vehicle is.

I personally always thought of the El Camino as a dud. It didn't have a bed big enough for the hauler's standard of laying a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat. And it didn't have the interior room to seat four. The El Camino is a compromise car, but it excels at nothing. The American consumer agreed with that I think, or else GM would still be making them. We can argue the merits of the car, but I think GM just wants to play the nostalgia card.

When Ford or GM bring back something from the past, it makes me believe the company is just out of good ideas.

They aren't as useful as a full pickup truck.

That being said, there is a bit of a gap with pickups; there are no small two passenger models much anymore, especially after teh Ranger died. Maybe this can help fill that niche a bit.

I don't think I will see the Messicans pulling their lawn equipment trailers with anything less than an f-150, though.

the redneck boys club would bust a buddy's balls non-stop for buying an el camino instead of a pickup. same reason subarus only sell to lesbians. I seriously doubt it would haul as much tonnage in the bed or tow nearly as much either.

And an f-150 with ecoboost would probably get the same mileage. And have 4X4 option and seating for 5.

And an f-150 with ecoboost would probably get the same mileage. And have 4X4 option and seating for 5.

Ford F-150 with Ecoboost - 16/22 mpg, 365hp/420lbft, regular gas, 8600-11300 lb towing

Holden Ute SS V-series - 19mpg combined, 349hp/381lbft, premium gas, 3500lb towing (but skewed because Aussie towing is higher than US towing traditionally)

The Ford is $27K in Ecoboost guise, 3 person seating. I could see the El Camino less than that for comparable capacities.

towing capacity is rarely determined by engine power. 420ft lbs of torque is enough to yank twice that weight without breaking a sweat, the ratings are to keep the transmission from overheating, to ensure that the combined weight doesn't exceed braking capacity and that the suspension is designed to keep all that weight properly controlled

I remember when they tried in 95 to bring the el camino back. The did the concept car at all the auto shows and it flopped so bad the scraped the project.

4508713846_5eb8db56fe.jpg

ec_95.jpg

Up here, if it can't plow snow, it'll be useless to the vast majority of pickup owners.

with the rubber band tires and 2" ground clearance, those models Liam posted couldn't get through the snow let alone plow it.

Edit: Did the snow finally melt up there? Fuck that far north.