Global Warming

theacoustician said:
:wtf:

Perhaps you have never heard of the Little Ice Age (approx. 1400-1850). Weather was a lot weirder then than it is now.
I read something about that relating to strativarius violins. Apparently the denser wood caused by the colder climate is what causes them to have the sound that they do.

shawndavid said:
Volcanoes affect the atmosphere because of the CO2 that's deposited in the water which changes the pH of the ocean thus swaying the carbon cycle one way or the other. I've never heard/read anything about a black smoker adding to any of this. All they do is add nutrients to the water.

No kidding. I really doubt that those black smokers are like the Gardens of Eden of the deep because they're poisonous. Have you seen any oceanography specials? They're freaking bursting at the seams with life. Crabs, microbes, fungi, everything gathers and thrives there.

Sarcasmo said:
No kidding. I really doubt that those black smokers are like the Gardens of Eden of the deep because they're poisonous. Have you seen any oceanography specials? They're freaking bursting at the seams with life. Crabs, microbes, fungi, everything gathers and thrives there.

Things live there. They're not added to the environment BY them.

when i was in school i studied a lot of physics, atmospheric and earth sciences, and oceanography, as well as a whole shit load of chemistry (my major). the reason? i was curious to know if this whole global warming / effects of man on the environment / etc was total bullshit - and i am as sketpical as they come. well, long story short, i ended up working on a research project for two years which was funded by nasa, noaa and the nsf studying the rates of change of carbon dioxide (one of the leading causes of man made global warming) levels in the oceans (the largest sink for carbon dioxide) around the world. based on the different isotope ratios and levels it was very apparent not only what the sources were (man made vs natural) but also that even though the earths climate naturally goes in warming and cooling cycles, the effect of anthroprogenic gasses on that cycle is more than alarming. we are having an effect on the earth. to what extent, i dont know. but i dont think it means OMG BAD WEATHER - THE EARTH IS ENDING as media try to promote.

ok. im done being nerdy for the night. promise.

trixiewabbit said:
when i was in school i studied a lot of physics, atmospheric and earth sciences, and oceanography, as well as a whole shit load of chemistry (my major). the reason? i was curious to know if this whole global warming / effects of man on the environment / etc was total bullshit - and i am as sketpical as they come. well, long story short, i ended up working on a research project for two years which was funded by nasa, noaa and the nsf studying the rates of change of carbon dioxide (one of the leading causes of man made global warming) levels in the oceans (the largest sink for carbon dioxide) around the world. based on the different isotope ratios and levels it was very apparent not only what the sources were (man made vs natural) but also that even though the earths climate naturally goes in warming and cooling cycles, the effect of anthroprogenic gasses on that cycle is more than alarming. we are having an effect on the earth. to what extent, i dont know. but i dont think it means OMG BAD WEATHER - THE EARTH IS ENDING as media try to promote.

I totally concur. We have an effect, but right now our concerns lie more so in the effects on marine life and bioaccumualtion such as the killer whale superce3ding the polar bear as the most polluted animal and the fact that certain eskimo(horrible name for a people) are now carrying more PCBS than most marine mammals thus causing their inability to procreate fuckinbullshitwhatthefuckorama...

We need to change certain things but me thinks that the Montreal Protocol is a good start...the Kyoto Treaty, however, is a fucking joke...

shawndavid said:
I totally concur. We have an effect, but right now our concerns lie more so in the effects on marine life and bioaccumualtion such as the killer whale superce3ding the polar bear as the most polluted animal and the fact that certain eskimo(horrible name for a people) are now carrying more PCBS than most marine mammals thus causing their inability to procreate fuckinbullshitwhatthefuckorama...

We need to change certain things but me thinks that the Montreal Protocol is a good start...the Kyoto Treaty, however, is a fucking joke...
Reducing CO2 should be a REQUIREMENT tho. Acidic water = not good.

trixiewabbit said:

Mmm, nerd talk. That's hot.

shawndavid said:

Montreal Protocol? Que es este? Apparently I've been under a rock or something, cuz I haven't heard anything about it.

dat.jpg