Girls with power tools rawr!

theacoustician said:
What the hell are you welding?
OK the point is not what your welding (when drunk) but that you participated!

Candy and I welding last year sometime and with practice over the night we did dam good, straight beads. It's amazing how you can't see a dam thing with the helmet on until you turn it on. I have alot of respect for people who can seriously weld.

this is the 'crappy' job of welding for this weekend :
crappy_welding.JPG

Women that are handy are hot! Good job Sarah. It looks good.

Spange, I thought of that video as soon as I saw the title too.

I use to work for a sign company building and installing interior lit signs so I got to learn how to weld and use lots of metal fabrication tools. I loved the job but the pay wasn't great and it was hard manual labor a lot of times. I even use to change some of the lottery billboards early Sunday morning. Most of them were very easy except for a 150ft one beside the highway. It was a long climb and a bitch to transfer from the ladder to the catwalks. The numbers were 4 by 8 painted pieces of plywood. They were heavy and caught the wind and a real bitch to handle on a 18 inch bouncy catwalk. I always use to smoke a joint up there to settle me nerves after the climb and every time regreted doing that.

My wife loves using the drill, she's broken 3 bits over the past two weekends :fly:

I'm having a blast re-doing the electrical and plumbing in the house, took out about 60ft of that old cloth covered wire this past weekend and ran a switch to control all of the basement lights.

In two weeks I'm gonna replace the entire drain line from the kitchen sink and install some AAV's since the ventilation is slightly less than adequate

ChikkenNoodul said:
My wife loves using the drill, she's broken 3 bits over the past two weekends :fly:

I'm having a blast re-doing the electrical and plumbing in the house, took out about 60ft of that old cloth covered wire this past weekend and ran a switch to control all of the basement lights.

In two weeks I'm gonna replace the entire drain line from the kitchen sink and install some AAV's since the ventilation is slightly less than adequate

That is awesome that you can do this kinda of work! :heart:

So many men (business men at least) are even afraid to try it. Some don't even know what to do with tools. We have had a few parties at my boss's house and when you get some of these brilliant programmers from India around tools they are lost and have no idea what to do with them. Very humorous.

gottoys? said:
That is awesome that you can do this kinda of work! :heart:

So many men (business men at least) are even afraid to try it. Some don't even know what to do with tools. We have had a few parties at my boss's house and when you get some of these brilliant programmers from India around tools they are lost and have no idea what to do with them. Very humorous.
Thanks!

I grew up learning to do the simple stuff with plumbing and electric, replacing outlets, making junctions, installing new lights, replacing faucets and installing new supply/drain lines, etc.

And I always kinda ignored heating systems and the rest of the plumbing stuff, after our contractor screwed up everything he touched or didn't finish the work - I decided I was gonna learn how to do it all myself :fly:

So I'm getting good at soldering (and de-soldering) pipes, snaking wire, completely re-did the heating system controls and the circulators, and now understand how pretty much everything in the house works so I won't have to hire anyone to do anything (other than a chimney sweep).

gottoys? said:
We have had a few parties at my boss's house and when you get some of these brilliant programmers from India around tools they are lost and have no idea what to do with them. Very humorous.

I find that very odd, coming from over there I would think one would have to know how things work to survive. I guess their technology revolution is having some pretty interesting effects :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
Thanks!

I grew up learning to do the simple stuff with plumbing and electric, replacing outlets, making junctions, installing new lights, replacing faucets and installing new supply/drain lines, etc.

And I always kinda ignored heating systems and the rest of the plumbing stuff, after our contractor screwed up everything he touched or didn't finish the work - I decided I was gonna learn how to do it all myself :fly:

So I'm getting good at soldering (and de-soldering) pipes, snaking wire, completely re-did the heating system controls and the circulators, and now understand how pretty much everything in the house works so I won't have to hire anyone to do anything (other than a chimney sweep).

You know it all has to do with 'common sense' - some have it and some only have book smarts. If you have both you are amazing.

Isn't is scary how these contractors really don't know what the hell they are doing. They just don't 'get it' naturally.

Sarcasmo said:
That is the worst welding job I have ever seen.

:fly: well of course it is! The girl was only 19 and it was the first time she has ever even touch welding equipment. At least she made contact with the metal :)

gottoys? said:
:fly: well of course it is! The girl was only 19 and it was the first time she has ever even touch welding equipment. At least she made contact with the metal :)

What was that for, again?

b_sinning said:
Women that are handy are hot! Good job Sarah. It looks good.

Spange, I thought of that video as soon as I saw the title too.

I use to work for a sign company building and installing interior lit signs so I got to learn how to weld and use lots of metal fabrication tools. I loved the job but the pay wasn't great and it was hard manual labor a lot of times. I even use to change some of the lottery billboards early Sunday morning. Most of them were very easy except for a 150ft one beside the highway. It was a long climb and a bitch to transfer from the ladder to the catwalks. The numbers were 4 by 8 painted pieces of plywood. They were heavy and caught the wind and a real bitch to handle on a 18 inch bouncy catwalk. I always use to smoke a joint up there to settle me nerves after the climb and every time regreted doing that.
OMG When I had my house it was still equipped with the old knob and tube electrical with the cloth covered wires... what a nightmare!

We also only had one bathroom in the place, and it didn't have a shower. Now my ex wasn't so bright so when he went to cut the hole in the wall to install the shower plumbing, the dum dum decided to use a circular saw on 100 year old plaster. :lol: NOT a good idea! All he ended up doing was creating a REALLY cool light show, a really funky odor and breaking the saw.

ChikkenNoodul said:
plaster :omy:

There's still a fair bit of plaster and lathe in the house, got rid of a lot, but what's left falls on my head every time I hammer something in the basement :lol:
:lol: We had brick behind our plaster... so we had to tear down the damaged plaster, actually relay the brick behind it, and replaster the walls. It was a 3 course brick house, there were no studs on the outside walls to nail drywall to. For like 6 months the entire house was coated in that fine white chalky dust. It was awful.

zengirl said:
:lol: We had brick behind our plaster... so we had to tear down the damaged plaster, actually relay the brick behind it, and replaster the walls. It was a 3 course brick house, there were no studs on the outside walls to nail drywall to. For like 6 months the entire house was coated in that fine white chalky dust. It was awful.

OMG that sucked!

Wow - bet that house would withstand a hurricane. Where was it located (state\city) ?