Get Educated. Get A Gun. Get Trained.

is there any way it would be legal for me to own a P-90? or a garand?

PS90 is the civilian version, semi-auto only.

you can own a garand without any special permits and if you get a C&R license you don't even have to go through a dealer to buy one that's more than 50 years old, just order it online :D

PS90 is the civilian version, semi-auto only.

you can own a garand without any special permits and if you get a C&R license you don't even have to go through a dealer to buy one that's more than 50 years old, just order it online :D
aren't you in basic right now?

Get Educated

If you find yourself to be of sound mind and sound body there really is no reason or excuse not to educate yourself about firearms. This does not mean that you necessarily have to own one, though I would encourage you to, it just means that everyone should learn the very basic skills and ideas associated with the safe use and handling of firearms. Even if you live in the nicest, whitest, most crime-free neighborhood in America having some knowledge about how to properly handle a firearm will do you absolutely no harm but could (albeit unlikely) save your life one day. Education is simple and could come in many ways whether that be through reading, going to range with a buddy who has guns and having them teach you the ropes, or whatever method you feel would best suit you.

The first step is learning the basic rules of firearm safety. If you always follow these simple rules you will never have a bad experience with a firearm. Here they are:

1. All guns are always loaded.

Even if you have personally just cleared the weapon and "know" that it is not loaded you should still always treat it as if it is.

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

Pretty simple. Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction at all times. Even if you "know" your gun is "unloaded" you should not wave it in front of your wife's face while yelling at her about how the spaghetti was too hot and you burned your tongue. Punch her in the mouth if need be, do not point your gun at her.

3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.

If you're shooting at the hot spaghetti bowl and your wife is behind it there is a very real possibility that she will be hit by a stray bullet. Always check your background before firing your weapon, always.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.

Ready your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), raise your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), aim your weapon, NOW place your finger on the trigger and discharge the weapon on your ready.

5. Be sure your guns are never accessible to unauthorized or untrained individuals.

Lock your guns up, tight. Show them that your pimp-hand is strong. Know where your guns are and what condition they are in at all times. Do not loan your firearms to your drunken buddy who will for some reason hide them in a bush and come back 5 days later to find the gun missing. Just don't do stupid things like that.

Get A Gun

Pretty self-explanatory. Go out and buy a gun. Choose the type of firearm you are interested in owning and EDUCATE yourself about it, whether that be a handgun for personal protection, a rifle for hunting or sport, or a shotgun for home defense. Go to the gun store and handle as many guns of the type you want before you buy so you see how they feel and if they will "fit" you. Shooting them a few times before you buy is even better. If you have a gun-owning buddy ask them what they like and why. Read forums and magazines and find the right gun for you. After you buy your first gun practice with it as often as you have time to do so. Then go buy another gun.

Get Trained

Even if you take a hunter's safety course and go get your CCW training that is still training, and will only benefit you in the long run. Formal gun training can be had for very reasonable rates these days, and there are schools pretty much everywhere. Tactical Response, Gunsite, and Frontsight are just a few of the "big boys" that I could name off the top of my head, but there are literally thousands of private citizens who are qualified and capable of giving firearm safety and use training to those who are interested. Just look around google, you'll find them.

Excellent Thread KNYTE :):cool:

Knyte, come to Maine and help me arm myself for home defense and the upcoming "Gas War"

You want to build up to be effective at all ranges.

Long range: Long rifle. Remington 700 in .308 would do nicely.

Med-Long range: M1A in .308

Med Range: AR-15 in .223, or 6.8mm if you want to be fancy.

Short-Range: Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with an 18-20 inch barrel in 12 guage.

Up close: Any handgun you want because if it gets that close and you're down to a pistol then you are probably screwed.

I'll answer the "How much ammo should I have?" question with another question: How much space and money do you have? :fly:

Some people like to have like 12 different types of ammo for 15 different guns, but my plan going forward is to keep everything simple.

9mm, .45, .223/5.56, 12 guage, and .308 are the only kinds of ammo I plan on owning going forward. Why? One, because I can store more ammo if only have a few types. Two, because I can walk into Wal-Mart and find plenty of all those types no problem. Try finding 5.7mm for your Five-Seven "specialized" pistol in the middle of a power outage with zombies runnin' around, I dare you.

Last edited:
You want to build up to be effective at all ranges.

Long range: Long rifle. Remington 700 in .308 would do nicely.

Med-Long range: M1A in .308

Med Range: AR-15 in .223, or 6.8mm if you want to be fancy.

Short-Range: Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with an 18-20 inch barrel in 12 guage.

Up close: Any handgun you want because if it gets that close and you're down to a pistol then you are probably screwed.

I'll answer the "How much ammo should I have?" question with another question: How much space and money do you have? :fly:

Some people like to have like 12 different types of ammo for 15 different guns, but my plan going forward is to keep everything simple.

9mm, .45, .223/5.56, 12 guage, and .308 are the only kinds of ammo I plan on owning going forward. Why? One, because I can store more ammo if only have a few types. Two, because I can walk into Wal-Mart and find plenty of all those types no problem. Try finding 5.7mm for your Five-Seven "specialized" pistol in the middle of a power outage with zombies runnin' around, I dare you.

I'll turn my useless living room into an arsenal. It'll at least have a nice rug and a swanky leather couch.

Knyte, come to Maine and help me arm myself for home defense and the upcoming "Gas War"

I'm all set:

picture.php

picture.php