Get Educated. Get A Gun. Get Trained.

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Get Educated

If you find yourself to be of sound mind and sound body there really is no reason or excuse not to educate yourself about firearms. This does not mean that you necessarily have to own one, though I would encourage you to, it just means that everyone should learn the very basic skills and ideas associated with the safe use and handling of firearms. Even if you live in the nicest, whitest, most crime-free neighborhood in America having some knowledge about how to properly handle a firearm will do you absolutely no harm but could (albeit unlikely) save your life one day. Education is simple and could come in many ways whether that be through reading, going to range with a buddy who has guns and having them teach you the ropes, or whatever method you feel would best suit you.

The first step is learning the basic rules of firearm safety. If you always follow these simple rules you will never have a bad experience with a firearm. Here they are:

1. All guns are always loaded.

Even if you have personally just cleared the weapon and "know" that it is not loaded you should still always treat it as if it is.

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

Pretty simple. Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction at all times. Even if you "know" your gun is "unloaded" you should not wave it in front of your wife's face while yelling at her about how the spaghetti was too hot and you burned your tongue. Punch her in the mouth if need be, do not point your gun at her.

3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.

If you're shooting at the hot spaghetti bowl and your wife is behind it there is a very real possibility that she will be hit by a stray bullet. Always check your background before firing your weapon, always.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.

Ready your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), raise your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), aim your weapon, NOW place your finger on the trigger and discharge the weapon on your ready.

5. Be sure your guns are never accessible to unauthorized or untrained individuals.

Lock your guns up, tight. Show them that your pimp-hand is strong. Know where your guns are and what condition they are in at all times. Do not loan your firearms to your drunken buddy who will for some reason hide them in a bush and come back 5 days later to find the gun missing. Just don't do stupid things like that.

Get A Gun

Pretty self-explanatory. Go out and buy a gun. Choose the type of firearm you are interested in owning and EDUCATE yourself about it, whether that be a handgun for personal protection, a rifle for hunting or sport, or a shotgun for home defense. Go to the gun store and handle as many guns of the type you want before you buy so you see how they feel and if they will "fit" you. Shooting them a few times before you buy is even better. If you have a gun-owning buddy ask them what they like and why. Read forums and magazines and find the right gun for you. After you buy your first gun practice with it as often as you have time to do so. Then go buy another gun.

Get Trained

Even if you take a hunter's safety course and go get your CCW training that is still training, and will only benefit you in the long run. Formal gun training can be had for very reasonable rates these days, and there are schools pretty much everywhere. Tactical Response, Gunsite, and Frontsight are just a few of the "big boys" that I could name off the top of my head, but there are literally thousands of private citizens who are qualified and capable of giving firearm safety and use training to those who are interested. Just look around google, you'll find them.

Last edited:
Is it true that you can never shoot to wound, instead you have to shoot to kill. Or spend long knytes on the wrong side of a steel cage. True?

I have wanted a gun for a while. I have a chick friend who also has one and it would be fun to go to the shooting range and show up dudes with our amazing bullseye talents.

Girls supposedly have better aim than men.

I know you have sent me a few options relevant to my interests, but its been over a year and I can't remember or have the links anymore. :(

Something reasonable. It would be cool to have an automatic AK47 :fly: but come on... I'll shoot my eye out.

Several times a summer I go to WV with my uncle, grandpa and cousins, who have more firearms than a normal family really need, and have been taught how to use anything from a Sten, AR-15 to a 22. I look forward to it every year.

I know you have sent me a few options relevant to my interests, but its been over a year and I can't remember or have the links anymore. :(

Something reasonable. It would be cool to have an automatic AK47 :fly: but come on... I'll shoot my eye out.

I currently have/carry a Glock 19, the do everything, go anywhere, wonder gun. It's fairly easily concealed but large enough to use as a full-size pistol as well. I love it, but want something smaller to carry more easily. If you want something to use "around the house" and whatever else you could ever need a gun for BUY A GLOCK 19. If you want a gun that will be smaller and more easy to carry (and there is nothing wrong with that) then here is what I will eventually be buying for Kiwi (and myself)...

Glock 26 - I used to have one and miss it pretty much every day. I never should have sold it. Awesome little gun. They can be had for about $450 or so.

http://www.glock.com/english/glock26.htm

Kahr P9 - I don't have one, but I want one. They're going to be the most expensive, around $600-$700.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_p.html

Keltec P-11 - The cheapest but still great. Some people hate Keltec but everyone who I personally know who has one raves about them. You can get one of these for around $300

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p11.html

Also, the gubmit won't let me have an "automatic" AK, freaking cockgoblins.

Guns scare me. I know I should learn about them and try it all out sometime, and it's on my list of things to do. I will never own a gun. I don't see a need. I understand the need for protection, but I really don't have it. I would rather die than kill somebody. Even if it were for protection or an accident or whatever, I don't think I could live with it. I know I wouldn't want to try.

Perhaps I'll feel different if I have children, but that comes with a whole bunch of new issues. What if my kids get the gun? If it's locked up, what if I can't get to the gun if I need it in a hurry? It's not like you can tell a psycho or robber, "oh wait a minute, I have a gun here, I just gotta get it out of my safe with the impossible combination. If you could just help yourself to a cup of tea or something from the fridge, I'll only be a few minutes, and then I'll kill you or maim you. K. Thx."

Last edited:
I would rather die than kill somebody.

you know I :heart: you so don't take it personally :p but I simply can't fathom this belief. I don't understand pacifism to the degree that one would rather die than kill one's attacker. I understand that it's different world views and all, it's just such a diametric opposite of how I would react that it stands out in my mind. it's not you so much as someone else that I saw comment on an article/blog/whatever saying that guns are evil because it's better to simply "die honorably" than ever harm another person, even an attacker trying to take a life. I just don't see how pacifism makes sense :o

as for the guns + kids, you can always keep your gun high enough so the kids can't reach it until they're old enough to be taught not to touch it. you lock it up when you're not around it; it should never be just sitting in a nightstand when you're not home even if you don't have kids.

and before anyone asks, I'm delayed for a week because chicago's taking its sweet time sending my medical records to orange county :rolleyes:

My grandfather has a nice 50's or 60's vintage Beretta that I'd love to take to a target range. He's also got a teensy-weensy little .22 calibre pistol that I can only hold with by first two fingers. It's impossibly small. I wish I could remember the make.

The crazy fucker was keeping them loaded in a safe in his closet. They're unloaded now.

/fake edit:

Eileen found a pretty sweet pump action shotgun while excavating a junk room at my Dad's house. The action was a little off, but it still make that uber-satisfying sound we all remember from Doom.