GAY Gender Fluid

I don't know how better to detail that I completely disagree with this. That's not what "political correctness" is and what you think is happening is imaginary
Minority quotas exist.

While I understand the concept, and the "good" it can do, it also hurts the institution if they can't hire the most qualified candidate because they won't meet some quota. So either they hire the most qualified candidate and get the best person for their buck, or they succumb to pressure to hire someone else because they're a minority.

And yes, this is a real thing.

It wasn't a choice.

You want the story, here you go...

In my childhood, I grew up in a household of religious folk. My family was religious as were my neighbors and their kids. Starting in preschool, I went to a Lutheran school. Preschool through 6th grade. A private Lutheran school. Starting in 2nd grade we were required to memorize a bible verse every week. Every Wednesday was church day. We'd take an hour in the morning, file up and walk to the church on school grounds, sit there listening to the sermon, sing Jesus loves me this I know, and go back to class. Everyone believed in god. Except me. Even in 4th grade which would make me what? 9? 10? something like that... even then I knew something was wrong. I didn't belong at this school. I didn't believe the things that they believed, and I felt it deep in my core. Something was different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I kept telling myself I believed in god, I'd go to church with my family on sunday, sing all the hymns and hers, pray at the dinner table... but it all felt awkward. It didn't feel right, and I didn't feel comfortable doing it. Until one day I found out that there are others out there that also don't believe in god, and they call themselves atheists. That's when I started to learn who these people are, and right away I felt more comfortable. Just knowing that I'm not alone in this feeling. It was only at that point that I started doing more research on it and figuring out the logic behind it.

So by your argument, at the age of 10, I made a conscious decision to defy everything everyone has ever taught me about god and decide that meh... that's just not for me. And never look back.

yknow, that's a really good point. thank you for that, it's given me a perspective I hadn't considered

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Minority quotas exist.

While I understand the concept, and the "good" it can do, it also hurts the institution if they can't hire the most qualified candidate because they won't meet some quota. So either they hire the most qualified candidate and get the best person for their buck, or they succumb to pressure to hire someone else because they're a minority.

And yes, this is a real thing.

it'll be nice when we get to a place where such things - limited as they are in scope and application - are no longer necessary. but until this century they were the only way to force some organizations to stop being discriminatory in their hiring and recruitment practices

it's far from ideal but let's not act like it isn't necessary to adjust for well established biases. it's an attempt to equalize things until society had caught up. we're heading toward point but the conversation needs to be had without acting like it's actually swung the pendulum the other way. the odds are still significantly stacked against historically marginalized groups

That is a very far cry from white men being ostracized or being "brought down" to the level of minorities.

monkey in a branch want to get food from the ground. everyone looks familiar? yeah, we're good to go

oh shit what's this strange looking thing? does it have teeth? does it want to eat me? can it climb trees to get me or am I safe up here? maybe it's friendly...either way I'll just default to THREAT because that's the safer option

rinse and repeat

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Where are you going with this?
I think it's survival based because for some weird reason 'we' have something 'they' want to take away and work at taking away, & vice versa.

You say 'rise above.' but that would mean instead of having the 'take away' instinct, we'd have a 'of course there's enough for everyone come and help yourself to what I have' instinct. When I go grocery shopping I don't pick up things for the entire universe.

Essentially in your 'rise above' analogy you 'take away' the individuals right to protect themselves based on what you think they should or shouldn't have.

To me, that's kind of shitty.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
I think it's survival based because for some weird reason 'we' have something 'they' want to take away and work at taking away, & vice versa.

You say 'rise above.' but that would mean instead of having the 'take away' instinct, we'd have a 'of course there's enough for everyone come and help yourself to what I have' instinct. When I go grocery shopping I don't pick up things for the entire universe.

Essentially in your 'rise above' analogy you 'take away' the individuals right to protect themselves based on what you think they should or shouldn't have.

To me, that's kind of shitty.
.... Huh?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly