Geeky help needed - Windows Sharepoint Services

SchmilK

Flaccid Member
Jun 22, 2005
Marklar
₥0
So I have to setup a Sharepoint Portal for our company to be used by a client next week...problem is i don't konw what the kcuf i'm doing...i got the software installed and it security set..but i can't figure out where to choose the layout of the web page...is there ANYONE here that has done this?

PPPPPPPLEASE HELP!

Rewards may be given via paypal!!!

Yes, someone please help him, the fate of my weekend depends on this project's completion.

:heart:

This whole thing sucks ass...why cant the clients just use the ftp server and be done with it... :(

I see 3 entries...
Default Web Site
Administration
Sharepoint Central Administration

I changed the security option on the default to use the domain login credentials and now i get an under construction message. thats better than no permissions i guess...

but how do i get the sharepoint portal page to load up...

plus in the images part of that page it defintely shows the right images for the sharepoint stuff... i dunno..

/bangs head 2 more times

Last edited:
SchmilK said:
I see 3 entries...
Default Web Site
Administration
Sharepoint Central Administration

I changed the security option on the default to use the domain login credentials and now i get an under construction message. thats better than no permissions i guess...

but how do i get the sharepoint portal page to load up...

this really isn't my forte but trying to help anyway since I do have a server running this stuff :)

I'm guessing you create the pages in frontpage or something like that
and then right click on web sites in IIS and choose the "web site(from file)" option to import it...pure guesstimation...hope that helps! :heart:

According to my buddy that has ditched me for a phone conference, he didn't have to setup any web page, it was all pre done during installation...just added permissions and he was in. so i don't know.

b_sinning said:
You probably need to go into Sharepoint Central Administration and show it where the Sharepoint site is located on the hard drive

would that mean he still has to create pages??
I don't know if I buy this zero config page creation stuff...possible I guess :confused:

I signed up for 2 trials of sharepoint services from outside hosts and each site the pages were IDENTICAL except for the hosts name. i dunno...my boss just walked in saying "EEEKS What are you doin here...i said i was working on this...he said "isn't John supposed to be taking care of that?" I said "Yeah, but i figured i'd give it a shot"....so...i think i should go home now.

heh..yeah...but that's also saying to download some sharepoint team thing....idon't know...i'm leaving work now to sit in the car for 2 hours and watch king of the hill...thanks for putting your time into this. :)

the default sharepoint install, by default... when you hit local host should take you to its admin page.

if you had any other default type websites loaded before hand, they will no longer work unless seperated or controlled by sharepoint.

its fun shit, you want some help let me know and we can do a remote control session.

Webex account FTW

So i got it all going this morning...somehow...then i borked it and formatted and started over now i got 3 seperate sharepoint sites for 3 clients. except my question now is...can i setup users that aren't on our domain? Or is that the only way sharepoint will authenticate a user is by referencing the active directory? I'd like it where i setup one person (the "admin" of the client) then they go through and add the users and permissions they want rather than me adding them to AD then adding them to the sharepoint page...although i have that part sorta made easier by creating a group and giving that group read only and another group contributors, then i can create the AD users and put them in that group.

SchmilK said:
So i got it all going this morning...somehow...then i borked it and formatted and started over now i got 3 seperate sharepoint sites for 3 clients. except my question now is...can i setup users that aren't on our domain? Or is that the only way sharepoint will authenticate a user is by referencing the active directory? I'd like it where i setup one person (the "admin" of the client) then they go through and add the users and permissions they want rather than me adding them to AD then adding them to the sharepoint page...although i have that part sorta made easier by creating a group and giving that group read only and another group contributors, then i can create the AD users and put them in that group.

i believe this is the point behind sharepoint..
dont think there is a way around it..