Gasoline Usage

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
I've been keeping a spreadsheet in my phone to track my gas usage. I know, I know, but I like data. Anyone else bother to track their usage? My distance numbers are all off because my odometer hasn't been adjusted since I resized the tires, but the dollar amounts are accurate.

Last tank gave me the following:

Odometer: 84132 mi
Increase: 242mi
Gas pumped: 14.073gal
Efficiency: 17.2mpg
Price: $3.359/gal
Total: $47.27
Date: 4/16/08

Since record keeping began:

Total distance: 2782mi
Total gas: 173 gal
Avg. efficiency: 16.1mpg

Since I started tracking dates:

Avg. distance: 276mi/2wk
Avg. cost: $51.17/2wk
Predicted cost: $57.56/2wk (based on avg. distance and current price)

All the calcs are built in, I just need to enter date, price, odometer and volume.

I've just started biking to work again. $120/month is a lot to spend just to get around. If I can cut out the driving on the little 1-2 mile trips I'll save money and improve my overall fuel efficiency since the longer trips are highway miles.

Last edited:
I get a rough estimate (not down to each trip/mi driven) of how much I've spent on fuel. I save all my fuel receipts (pay by credit card) as my business pays for all my fuel expenses. Last year I spent $2,319.67 in fuel for my truck. I think I drove (business+personal) about 12-14k mi last year. About 16% of my operating expenses.

Last edited:
Did the tire calc, looks like it only goes up by a factor of 1.03 and change. (215 65 15 to 235 65 15) I guess I'm only getting around 17-18mpg.

I'm averaging 21mpg right now...cost me $55 to fill my tank this morning...something like 16 gallons

I bought a truck a year ago before I moved down to Florida so I could pull a uhaul and my boat. Seemed like a great idea but seeing as it's my only car the fuel is crazy crazy expensive. I get 11mpg driving like a grandmother. I got 8mpg when I pull something heavy. I don't even wanna know.

ouch, that makes my vette look like an economy car!

mhm. s'ok, I only have to deal with it for another month

besides, work gives me a nice reimbursement for gas so it covers most of what I spend on the commute

I would have liked to have get a motorcycle but I've yet to take the lessons and it only just now warmed up enough and I would have liked to get a small, efficient car but I'm way too picky and would have bought another 240sx and they get 20 on a good day.

What app are you tracking this in? Is it Windows Mobile?
yup. excel. Treo 750.

I just started keeping track of enough to calculate mileage, then realized I could add a few more formulas and columns and use the same spreadsheet for budgeting my gas cost.

the next step is to adjust it so that i have rolling averages to account for changes in driving patterns over time (so i'm not anchoring the average with a bunch of outdated habits) and create a nice "enter data point" macro or something.

Last edited:
yup. excel. Treo 750.

I just started keeping track of enough to calculate mileage, then realized I could add a few more formulas and columns and use the same spreadsheet for budgeting my gas cost.

the next step is to adjust it so that i have rolling averages to account for changes in driving patterns over time (so i'm not anchoring the average with a bunch of outdated habits) and create a nice "enter data point" macro or something.

Link to spreadsheet then?

this is the point where you've officially gone overboard.

my grandpa used to track all the same stuff on notepad and paper he kept in his glove compartment. Whenever his mileage went down he knew his car was messin up and started the preventative maintenance... worked pretty good really.