Thread Gas savings idea

Its never worked out for me. At one time I lived and worked on the other side but went to school on this side, moved over here then graduated and got a job on the other side... just can't win.

Seriously, where are these people driving? Do they work on the moon? Ooooo, wait, I forgot...it's America and in true American fashion 20mpg is considered GOOD gas mileage for your vehicle to get. Driving a gas guzzling monstrosity around hauling half of your possessions with you is a good idea and certainly not bad for the environment.

Mind you, I get that most people can't afford to live close to where they work and public transportation in this country is shite, so it isn't all our fault. We'll just blame that rather than doing what we can. Okay, good plan. You get on with your bad selves you Hummer drivers. And while you are at it, please feel free to take up as many parking spaces as you need to with your over-sized and hideous vehicle. It doesn't matter if anyone else has a place to park. I know you are more important. I can tell by the car you drive.

I regularly run the numbers on what's cheaper. A new, fuel efficient car payment or a gas bill. Guess which wins?

$100 a month in gas is less than 2 tanks. Ghost drives 30 miles each direction to work each day, that's a tank a week, and he has a decentish gas mileage car. It's just the way life is sometimes. Trust me, I'd rather spend less money on gas, but unfortunately for us, there is no way around it right now.

Yeah, like I said, I get that not everyone can live close to where they work. Dan can't. If we moved to the town he works in to a house the same size as the one we live in now (which isn't very big at all) we'd have to spend at least $450K and driving anywhere around that area is a hassle.

Dude, he's hispanic, all he does is mow lawns.

I would have given you rep for this but I have to spread some around.

I regularly run the numbers on what's cheaper. A new, fuel efficient car payment or a gas bill. Guess which wins?

Just saying...you could have bought a fuel efficient car to begin with. It's not like this is a new concept, just there's more selection now. I see your point though. Sort of like how it doesn't make sense to buy a Volt because no matter how much money you save in gas it will never be enough to offset the cost of the car and the increases home electric bill.

If you HAVE to buy a new car, minus whale buy one with great mpg.

Do this! Everyone!

I used to drive ~35,000 miles a year, of course that was back when our gas was $1.30 a gallon, you're paying what, like a pound a litre or so? :shudder:

Ya, it's a bit more in Canada than in the US as well, still not as bad as Europe though. It was $1.27 a litre this morning, which works out to about $4.81 a US gallon.

Also this. I get crap gas mileage in my Pathfinder, about 15 mpg. But we just paid it off, and I'm not buying a new car just for better gas mileage. Also, luckily I only have to put 2-3 tanks a month (which is still too much) and about 8k miles a year on it. If Ghost was still driving it to work everyday, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new vehicle.

Just saying...you could have bought a fuel efficient car to begin with. It's not like this is a new concept, just there's more selection now. I see your point though. Sort of like how it doesn't make sense to buy a Volt because no matter how much money you save in gas it will never be enough to offset the cost of the car and the increases home electric bill.

No matter how you cut it, my $3000 car is cheaper.

And he doesn't have to worry about anyone ever stealing it, cause frankly the only people that would want it are too old and immobile to pull it off.

How did you get a car for $3K? How many miles?

Most people don't have that opportunity unless they buy a beater and then wind up putting some serious money into it for repairs.

It's a 97 Bonneville... Our super honest mechanic sold it to him and he's had very little issue with it these past 3-4 years.