Gas Prices

I'm hoping this is a trend that gets more expanded upon.

Our mass transit systems right now are a joke. Fixing that mess can go a long way to getting a foothold on a lot of problems right now.

Good public transit requires HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upfront costs. And until its good, no one will use it.

Our government DOES subsidize mass transit, which is part of the reason it's in such terrible shape.

Not to mention, the foulest people on earth rely on public transit here - so it's not exactly an attractive option.

If there were a profit to be made in cheap, reliable, and efficient public transportation there would be no need for government subsidies.

I doubt there will ever really be good mass transit outside of a few of the major cities, we really just need to focus on alternate fuel vehicles in the US.

Good public transit requires HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upfront costs. And until its good, no one will use it.
I think there's a little more to it, like the subway, people only use it cause driving is not practical, no parking, and once you are near something it's not that far to walk.

Suburban sprawl practically kills off the possibility of convienent mass transit at a reasonable cost.

But is he wrong?

Wel 65% of the US population is within 500 miles of Columbus.

Both Columbus and Cleveland are in the top 50 largest cities in the US.
The fastest growing city in the US is a suburb of Columbus.

So, I'd say he's wrong. People obviously want to be here.

I hate public transportation. It literally doubles my commute time even if you include traffic. Public transportation is fine unless you have to commute at 5 in the morning or you're heading to the outer suburbs.

Um, draw a 500 mile radius circle around columbus and tell me how much of the country that covers...

THe very eastern part of the midwest, the beginning of the Northeast, and the northern most parts of the Southeast.

That still doesn't change the other facts I mentioned.

I think there's a little more to it, like the subway, people only use it cause driving is not practical, no parking, and once you are near something it's not that far to walk.

Suburban sprawl practically kills off the possibility of convienent mass transit at a reasonable cost.

I think you're saying the same thing I did. Its not good if its not convenient, specifically if its not more convenient than driving.