Garage Sale

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
in the process of packing to move/sell the house/stage the house we've downsized, which is great. house is very clutter free now.

as we've packed there's been 3 categories we've created:

1. stuff to stay
2. stuff for storage
3. stuff for G.S.

think we gonna' try and run it saturday morning.. dontcha gotta be out at like 6am setting up? Ja seems to think we could do it 10 to 1.. :fly:

advertise in newspaper? get them little signs for the corner? price things low as hell to move em?

it's mostly clothes, shoes, nick nacks, and some stuff the dude who lived with me left. :waw: little bit of furniture.

share your GS stories, advice, etc. I used to go out occasionally and peruse them.. but always in hoods nicer than mine.

stream it live on UF

signs on the corners should be sufficient for the GS crowd

GS peeps are crazy. Wanna be sure to clear everything?

Then yes, open at 7. 10:00 is too late as the old people fear the mid day sun

if you just want to move it and make some bucks, price it low. Having shit left over at then end of a garage sail is not the goal. lol.

Signs with balloons seems to be the popular way.

And have Janice wear a bikini top. And maybe bring over some of her hooters friends to help.

Yeah the earlier the better. I remember my parents checking the newspaper (or craigslist these days) for garage sales.

definitely do it early and all day. 8-5 is not unreasonable for a successful sale.
also, put signs on the major intersection corners in LARGE BOLD letters for the sale, including address and hours. also, advertise this on craigslist. like now.
if you have any big items that you want sold (like bedroom sets, couches, etc), also advertise those singly on craigslist and say that the items are available for viewing during the hours of the sale, and would be available to look at afterwards if they're still there.

i did this last summer before i moved to VA. sold SO much stuff, including a bedroom set, dining room set, tons of clothes and unneeded kitchen stuff as well as some stuff that even i'd consider to be of no use at all, ever. everything that didn't go got donated to goodwill before it had a chance to make it back into the moving mix.

If you're shawn, make sure that you and your wife stay up all night doing coke, then have your family over to help in the morning. Just makes the day burn that much brighter!

don't start later than 8 am or you'll miss the serious shoppers. they hit first but they are picky. be ready for visitors at 7, either peeking through your garage doors or hitting you up as you set up. they are looking for furniture, collectibles, jewelry...stuff that you might not know could bring big money. they might even hit you the day before, especially if they have a phone number.

make signs...big, simple, bold...but have one defining thing on it that people can visually follow, like a neon pink square on a white sign or something. that way you don't have to include your address but just do it hansel gretel style...make a couple of extras and check halfway through your day to see if someone's removed any. hit each big street closest to your neighborhood and work backwards. make sure you don't stake someone's yard unless you ask permission first.

price to MOVE not make money on. think about what you want to pack BACK up after the sale,whether it's to keep or to goodwill...is it worth another $.50 or $1 on this item to have to deal with it again? make it so cheap that people can't turn it down, because hell, it's just a quarter. be ready to accept half of your sticker price, too...it ain't junkin' 'less you haggled for it.

traffic typically slows around two (around here.) be ready to be bored...and have a sign made that says "everything 1/2 off" or "FREE" to put up at the end of the sale...some vultures wait till the end so they can cash in on your desperation to move the shit.

and give stuff away. a woman has a couple of things you think she'll buy, and she's hesitating over this one knick-knack...just walk over and tell her to take it, or give it to her at the end. makes them happy, makes kids happy(toys or knick knacks!), makes you happy.

bag stuff...if you don't have an even number of coasters but two sets of unevens, throw them all in a ziploc and mark it a $1. bag similar stuff to move it all and get a little more money out of it. put cute stuff together in a bag or basket and move it. got a ton of happy meal toys? put 'em all in a bag and $1. or have a free box and throw them in. put all those plastic store hangers in a free box...they ALWAYS go. got a bunch of mismatched socks? bag em, $1 'em, and sticker it to say "great for puppets" or "golf club scratch preventers." if it's an awkward item, give someone a reason to buy it.

and have plugs ready for testing. they'll want to know that vcr works or the speakers work. have it easy to test. and bring all your plastic shopping bags down for bags for people, or use the boxes sitting in the garage for someone.

and invite people over for bloody marys and cards/games. you'll need something to do while you're bored. if you're like me, prepping for down, boring time means you'll never get it. :fly:

and finally, you and janice each find something you KNOW will go and you KNOW won't go. makes it fun..."c'mon, janice, you KNOW your half-used shampoo is NOT going to sell." "shalimar, i know you love your jock strap, but i just don't see anyone getting used to that smell, even if it's just $1!!" makes it fun to watch.

don't start later than 8 am or you'll miss the serious shoppers. they hit first but they are picky. be ready for visitors at 7, either peeking through your garage doors or hitting you up as you set up. they are looking for furniture, collectibles, jewelry...stuff that you might not know could bring big money. they might even hit you the day before, especially if they have a phone number.

make signs...big, simple, bold...but have one defining thing on it that people can visually follow, like a neon pink square on a white sign or something. that way you don't have to include your address but just do it hansel gretel style...make a couple of extras and check halfway through your day to see if someone's removed any. hit each big street closest to your neighborhood and work backwards. make sure you don't stake someone's yard unless you ask permission first.

price to MOVE not make money on. think about what you want to pack BACK up after the sale,whether it's to keep or to goodwill...is it worth another $.50 or $1 on this item to have to deal with it again? make it so cheap that people can't turn it down, because hell, it's just a quarter. be ready to accept half of your sticker price, too...it ain't junkin' 'less you haggled for it.

traffic typically slows around two (around here.) be ready to be bored...and have a sign made that says "everything 1/2 off" or "FREE" to put up at the end of the sale...some vultures wait till the end so they can cash in on your desperation to move the shit.

and give stuff away. a woman has a couple of things you think she'll buy, and she's hesitating over this one knick-knack...just walk over and tell her to take it, or give it to her at the end. makes them happy, makes kids happy(toys or knick knacks!), makes you happy.

bag stuff...if you don't have an even number of coasters but two sets of unevens, throw them all in a ziploc and mark it a $1. bag similar stuff to move it all and get a little more money out of it. put cute stuff together in a bag or basket and move it. got a ton of happy meal toys? put 'em all in a bag and $1. or have a free box and throw them in. put all those plastic store hangers in a free box...they ALWAYS go. got a bunch of mismatched socks? bag em, $1 'em, and sticker it to say "great for puppets" or "golf club scratch preventers." if it's an awkward item, give someone a reason to buy it.

and have plugs ready for testing. they'll want to know that vcr works or the speakers work. have it easy to test. and bring all your plastic shopping bags down for bags for people, or use the boxes sitting in the garage for someone.

and invite people over for bloody marys and cards/games. you'll need something to do while you're bored. if you're like me, prepping for down, boring time means you'll never get it. :fly:

and finally, you and janice each find something you KNOW will go and you KNOW won't go. makes it fun..."c'mon, janice, you KNOW your half-used shampoo is NOT going to sell." "shalimar, i know you love your jock strap, but i just don't see anyone getting used to that smell, even if it's just $1!!" makes it fun to watch.

I get the feeling you've done this once or twice.

I'd rather take my eyes out with a spork than deal with crotchety fucks haggling over a nickel for a butter dish...especially at the crack of dawn on a saturday