Ontopic Games Thread of love

I've become an old man. I tried to play Apex Legends... and i just dont get this battle royale genre.

I'm so used to relatively close quarters games like unreal tournament or quake or overwatch or big strategic team games like battlefield.

battle royale is none of those.

• Gravy
Reactions: MacG
I've become an old man. I tried to play Apex Legends... and i just dont get this battle royale genre.

I'm so used to relatively close quarters games like unreal tournament or quake or overwatch or big strategic team games like battlefield.

battle royale is none of those.
Yep. It's none of that. I never played CS, but wasn't it tactical and no respawn (yes Apex technically has respawns)? I'd assume it's like that, only a much larger map.

Yep. It's none of that. I never played CS, but wasn't it tactical and no respawn (yes Apex technically has respawns)? I'd assume it's like that, only a much larger map.

I had a squad of 3 people, and we all had different abilities, and we were supposed to work together to do ..... something? but the two squad members just ran off in different directions and when i tried to follow one of them he shot at me.

pubg at least makes sense to me. Spawn, find vehicles, race to the center, stop by buildings to pick up guns/ammo/etc

I had a squad of 3 people, and we all had different abilities, and we were supposed to work together to do ..... something? but the two squad members just ran off in different directions and when i tried to follow one of them he shot at me.
Apex is really designed to play with randos that aren't communicating over voice chat, so what you saw is rare IMO. The Ping system is clutch for communication. The first person that calls out directions via PIng, people usually just follow.

oh, and when i got frustrated and quit, i went and played some Unreal Tournament 2019, which while alpha as fuck was great fun.

Theyve got a new game mode called blitz which is essentially reverse CTF. You grab your flag and try to bring it to the enemies base. When they kill you, the flag drops, but they cant return it, but it slowly phases back towards your base at a pre-set time rate.

its like the payload mechanic in tf2 or overwatch i guess, but more fast/mobile since you can take any path you want while moving forwar.d

Started playing uncharted 4 with the boy
Its a little intense for him, but overall its been a fun game so far

It's a great game. I don't care aboot graphics but that game has one of the best sceneries I've seen in a game.

Started playing Division 2. I really love the way they made the post apocalyptic world, very much like Will Smith's I am Legend.

There are deers and shit walking in Washington. (I even saw a reference to the movie, there were mannaqeuins on the street like Will put in the movie)

So far, I fell in love with the game.

but what is the goal?

be the last squad alive, i get, but intermediately, do what.
Its all exactly the same as PUBG, except much more polished. Be the last team standing. There are a couple of ways to achieve that:

1) Dive into hotspots and kill everyone you see
2) Work the edge of the ring, and occasionally fight your way in