Ontopic Games Thread of love

No, we pretended to kill people, those people being the bad guys.

Was referring to that game MacG was talking about. Or stuff like GTA where you just kill a bunch of random innocent people and get rewarded for it.

so... you havent ever played GTA eh

so... you havent ever played GTA eh

That's one I actually have. That's why I referred to it. You shoot and club and beat the living hell out of people and take their money.
Granted that was probably several versions ago by now

The one Mac mentioned you also kill innocent people.

That's one I actually have. That's why I referred to it. You shoot and club and beat the living hell out of people and take their money.
Granted that was probably several versions ago by now

The one Mac mentioned you also kill innocent people.

only if you choose to. Your choice as a player to do so says more about you than the games ability to let you do it.

Granted, theres probably a few missions that ask you to do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The NPCs (non playable characters) had different things to say as you walked by. Some of it insulting.

OIC.

For the record, I'm not actually 100% anti-videogame though it can sound like it sometimes.
Her grandkids can and do play them at our house if we have an hour or two to kill or its raining and crappy outside.

They're certainly not playing anything that involves the murder of innocent people though. They can shoot all the Nazis or invading monsters from outer space they want.
And no raping, not even the bad guys. Can't rape them either.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Strings
only if you choose to. Your choice as a player to do so says more about you than the games ability to let you do it.

Granted, theres probably a few missions that ask you to do it.

That is a fair point. You do still have to choose to.

and thats a dude choosing to seek out and do those things, not the game forcing thim to do so. Or rewarding him for doing so.
Why do they even give it as an option? Simulations greatly reduce psychological barriers - the military, police, and all sort of educational organizations count on simulations to prepare people to do X. An X they would normally be hesitant or reluctant to do. Simulations of up close 1on1 physical violence and sociopathic behaviour can't be good for anyone. But probably much worse for some than others.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and nukes
The one I played the reward for beating the hell out of people was getting their money. Then again the entire point of the game was to get good at being a felon, so... :/

That's a pretty good example of what I was referring to with becoming desensitized to the violence. Of course it's not real life but there's still that thing in your mind that says "that's not OK" which then makes the leap to it being OK. Perhaps with repetition even expecting it or enjoying it or just figuring it's no big deal.

You're a rational adult, you can play that and keep it in perspective just fine. Some more unstable people maybe not so much. And not good conditioning for younger, less developed, more impressionable minds.

Rational adult?

This is the nicest thing anyone said to me in a while.

Why do they even give it as an option? Simulations greatly reduce psychological barriers - the military, police, and all sort of educational organizations count on simulations to prepare people to do X. An X they would normally be hesitant or reluctant to do. Simulations of up close 1on1 physical violence and sociopathic behaviour can't be good for anyone. But probably much worse for some than others.
I've run hookers over before in games. I'd NEVER do it in real life. Someone who has the ability to hurt people, or take other people's lives, are a special breed. They don't need video games.

Anecdote: I hung out with some of the guy's from a friends Ranger unit. We got into a drunken 3am discussion and there were a couple who couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to kill people. They don't need video games. Some people just want to see the life go. I'm glad we have those people doing those jobs, because there's no way in hell I could do it.

Microsoft might be announcing the Halo Master Chief Collection for pc in about 45 minutes.

That would be amazing. I have awesome memories of halo1 coop on legendary. Would definitely love to play the others on a modern pc