GA smoking ban in effect today

why_ask_why said:
that's a hell of a cold if you need 4 boxes of sudafed!

Or if you are going out the country. For instance I know a girl who's going to stay over in Japan for a year. For those who dont know, if you are going there bring your drugs in as the stuff there is severely watered down or herbal and wont do shit. thus you stock up when you can (you also do it with Deoderant and Toothpaste) Sure thats worse case, and 4 is not that bad. but 2 and having to sign a release as in Bama? thats just wrong.

TadSG said:
I remember when they first banned smoking in CA, lots of businesses refused to enforce it and started getting hit with some hefty fines.

I'm with FB on eliminating smoking in most places. The one thing I hate about going to bars in Oregon is coming out smelling like smoke. The worst is the next day when you are in the shower and can smell the smoke washing out of your hair. Its nasty.
Not nasty enough to stop going and affect the bottom lines of business tho, correct?

fly said:
Not nasty enough to stop going and affect the bottom lines of business tho, correct?

Actually, it would be enough to have made me go to a different bar if there was one that didn't allow smoking. But here in Oregon, its tough to find a non-smoking bar (or it as when I was goin to bars a lot).

TadSG said:
Actually, it would be enough to have made me go to a different bar if there was one that didn't allow smoking. But here in Oregon, its tough to find a non-smoking bar (or it as when I was goin to bars a lot).
That's cause no one would go to a non-smoking bar...

fly said:
With all due respect, I find that hard to believe, otherwise there would be people doing it.

The problem is that it would have to be a bar that's good in other ways. It would also take time for word to get around. In the meantime, you're losing customers.

If a new place opened smoke-free, then it would have a chance. Business-wise, it just doesn't make sense to convert it.

Pandora said:
I still think that the government shouldn't be telling buisnesses how to do buisness. It infringes on personal liberties to me. Seems like there are other ways of controling the problem without making it illegal.
You had me at hello

Pandora said:
I still think that the government shouldn't be telling buisnesses how to do buisness. It infringes on personal liberties to me. Seems like there are other ways of controling the problem without making it illegal.

I agree with that, but I can take it a step further. I don't think companies should be allowed to prey on the weaknesses of the public I don't think parents should constantly be fighting their children because of the way they learn things from corporate America. I think advertisements should strictly let you know what a product is; not some idealized version of it that helps the bottom line. I think more of the world needs to show a willingness to be responsible for the things they have done/chosen.

The fact that smoking companies were regularly giving out smokes in these bars sorta prevents me from giving two flicks about it hurting their bottom line. (Because, face it, this hurts them far more than it hurts any of the smoking public.)

Of course, it doesn't hurt that smoking does absolutely nothing for me. :fly:

they banned smoking in most places in Dallas already. It sucks going out there now, or it would if anyone paid attention to the ban. In most bars people still smoke because they structured the law such that smokers get fined, not the owner of the bar. The only place there's a big difference is in restaurants. They're enforcing the ban.