GA governor does rain dance

Why not? That's what the people of Georgia want, at least enough of them that they keep him in office. You and I may not agree with what he's doing but it's certainly not illegal.

this is something he did on a random whim without consultation of the citizens...I know I wasn't asked about it anyway

do they allow prayer in schools these days? this would be a similar parallel

this is something he did on a random whim without consultation of the citizens...I know I wasn't asked about it anyway

do they allow prayer in schools these days? this would be a similar parallel

He doesn't need to ask his constituents about every decision he makes. That's not how government works. He gets voted into office based on his promises and then either gets voted out or re-elected based on his performance in the eyes of the voters.

Of course they allow prayer in schools. Why shouldn't they? As long as teachers are not instructing students to pray there is absolutely nothing wrong with a student praying in class.

He doesn't need to ask his constituents about every decision he makes. That's not how government works. He gets voted into office based on his promises and then either gets voted out or re-elected based on his performance in the eyes of the voters.

Of course they allow prayer in schools. Why shouldn't they? As long as teachers are not instructing students to pray there is absolutely nothing wrong with a student praying in class.

thanks for the pro tip on how governors get elected :lol:

there was some big stink a few years ago about prayer in the classroom...I thought it ended up being disallowed

Look, you stupid fucking yokels. Georgia has a decent sized coastline. Build some desalination plants and infrastructure. Yes it's expensive, but look at you now. Your governor is praying for water on a water-soaked planet. It's just lazy.

Look, you stupid fucking yokels. Georgia has a decent sized coastline. Build some desalination plants and infrastructure. Yes it's expensive, but look at you now. Your governor is praying for water on a water-soaked planet. It's just lazy.

I made that same statement to someone on genmay the other day :lol:

thanks for the pro tip on how governors get elected :lol:

there was some big stink a few years ago about prayer in the classroom...I thought it ended up being disallowed

well you made that comment about being asked for your opinion as if you thought he had to get it :p the people that voted him in apparently are ok with him doing this, and thus if you don't like it you have three choices:

1. Suck it up.
2. Convince people to change their minds.
3. Leave.

I highly doubt kids in georgia classrooms are not allowed to pray. :thrawn:

Seriously. It's better than drinking the swill that comes out of Lake Lanier.

well you made that comment about being asked for your opinion as if you thought he had to get it :p the people that voted him in apparently are ok with him doing this, and thus if you don't like it you have three choices:

1. Suck it up.
2. Convince people to change their minds.
3. Leave.

I highly doubt kids in georgia classrooms are not allowed to pray. :thrawn:

I think he means formally led prayer in public schools.

I think he means formally led prayer in public schools.
ah, well then that's understandable. there's no good reason to allow a teacher to lead a class in prayer, however that doesn't mean a teacher can't pray on her own
which is precisely what sonny is doing in essence

Not exactly. A teacher leading students in prayer is forcing children to perform an act that they may not truly understand. It takes away from a parent the right to instill into their child whatever religious message they see fit. A governor leading his state in prayer doesn't require anyone to do or believe a damn thing. You can ignore him, yell about it, pray with him or pray against him.

At no point did he require any member of the state to join him in prayer. Had he done that I would agree that what he did was illegal. While I do think what he did was wrong (simply because I disagree with his religion in the first place) it certainly wasn't illegal. This whole idea of "separation of church and state" is grossly misunderstood.

ah, well then that's understandable. there's no good reason to allow a teacher to lead a class in prayer, however that doesn't mean a teacher can't pray on her own

Not exactly. A teacher leading students in prayer is forcing children to perform an act that they may not truly understand. It takes away from a parent the right to instill into their child whatever religious message they see fit. A governor leading his state in prayer doesn't require anyone to do or believe a damn thing. You can ignore him, yell about it, pray with him or pray against him.

At no point did he require any member of the state to join him in prayer. Had he done that I would agree that what he did was illegal. While I do think what he did was wrong (simply because I disagree with his religion in the first place) it certainly wasn't illegal. This whole idea of "separation of church and state" is grossly misunderstood.

you can't really force anyone to pray whether it be in school or on the steps of the state capital...it is however illegal in one of the two places which are both govt buildings

you can't really force anyone to pray whether it be in school or on the steps of the state capital...it is however illegal in one of the two places which are both govt buildings

It's not illegal for teachers or administrators to pray in school, they just can't make their students do it. It's not illegal for Perdue to pray in a government building, he just can't make anyone else do it. He can lead people in prayer because adults have that choice. What makes the school different is that the people in there are not adults, they're impressionable children.

It's not illegal for teachers or administrators to pray in school, they just can't make their students do it. It's not illegal for Perdue to pray in a government building, he just can't make anyone else do it. He can lead people in prayer because adults have that choice. What makes the school different is that the people in there are not adults, they're impressionable children.

so if it's illegal to lead prayer, without forcing it on anyone, in a public school, why would it be allowed for the governor on the steps of the capital?

so if it's illegal to lead prayer, without forcing it on anyone, in a public school, why would it be allowed for the governor on the steps of the capital?

I think Mike is saying that it's different because on one hand you've got kids and the other hand you have adults

:confused: is there really a law that states it's illegal to lead a prayer? I know a teacher can't stand up in class in lead her class in prayer but in a situation in which all the teachers are christians and they decide to have themselves a prayer meeting in the teacher's lounge before the work day starts....I doubt that's illegal :o

If that's true it's kinda fucked up. A government employee should not be barred from practicing their own religion while on the job as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's religious freedom (witnessing someone praying is not infringing upon your rights at all). Now that being said the difference again lies in that schools are filled with minors while the courtyard in front of the capitol building was chock full of adults that were willingly praying with him.

There is nothing illegal about a government official praying while on the job. And it most certainly should be allowed because that's what freedom is all about. You know full well that Georgia is a very conservative, religious state. You choose to live among religious people and you have no right forcing them to live by atheist values than they have to force you to live by their values. They are the majority and as long as they're not infringing on any enumerated rights - which this does not qualify as such - then they have the right to be represented by a politician that is as religious as they are.

Last edited:
:confused: is there really a law that states it's illegal to lead a prayer? I know a teacher can't stand up in class in lead her class in prayer but in a situation in which all the teachers are christians and they decide to have themselves a prayer meeting in the teacher's lounge before the work day starts....I doubt that's illegal :o

If that's true it's kinda fucked up. A government employee should not be barred from practicing their own religion while on the job as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's religious freedom (witnessing someone praying is not infringing upon your rights at all). Now that being said the difference again lies in that schools are filled with minors while the courtyard in front of the capitol building was chock full of adults that were willingly praying with him.

There is nothing illegal about a government official praying while on the job. And it most certainly should be allowed because that's what freedom is all about. You know full well that Georgia is a very conservative, religious state. You choose to live among religious people and you have no right forcing them to live by atheist values than they have to force you to live by their values. They are the majority and as long as they're not infringing on any enumerated rights - which this does not qualify as such - then they have the right to be represented by a politician that is as religious as they are.
http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/prayer-in-school.htm

that sums it up

I'll anxiously await why_ask_why's citation of legal precident to the contrary :eek:

Matthew 6:5-6 said:
"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."
:shifty:

b_sinning said:
Shitty people keep running for governor.
Especially in Washington... the last election was so stupid.

On a saltwater-soaked planet. Desalination plants are expensive.

On a saltwater-soaked planet. Desalination plants are expensive.

Yes they are. And once built and funded, alleviate such annoyances like draining all of the water out of lakes and rivers.

You can either suck up the budgetary concerns and have plenty of water, or you can spend your tax money on unnecessary earmarks and complain when your citizens and their absurdly manicured lawns are thirsty.