GA governor does rain dance

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
well maybe not quite a rain dance but he held a public prayer for frickin rain! separation of church and state much? what a fucking retard

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Nov13/0,4670,SouthernDroughtPrayer,00.html

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue stepped up to a podium outside the state Capitol on Tuesday and led a solemn crowd of several hundred people in a prayer for rain on his drought-stricken state.

"We've come together here simply for one reason and one reason only: To very reverently and respectfully pray up a storm," Perdue said after a choir provided a hymn.

Georgia and its neighboring states are caught in an epic drought that threatens public water supplies. Perdue has ordered water restrictions, launched a legal battle against the release of water from federal reservoirs and appealed to President Bush.

"It's time to appeal to Him who can and will make a difference," Perdue told the crowd.

The hourlong event was billed as an interfaith ceremony but only three Protestant ministers joined Perdue, who is a Baptist, and Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle.

Nearby, some 20 demonstrators from the Atlanta Freethought Society staged a protest against the holding of a religious observance at the seat of state government.

Meteorologists said earlier this week there was a slight possibility of rain Tuesday, but less of a chance of precipitation was predicted for the rest of the week.

"I believe in miracles," declared Pastor Maurice Watson of Beulahland Bible Church. "How about you?"

The government just can't *set* a religion. It has no desire (or shouldn't anyway) to prevent its executors from practicing religion...

Yes, but he's treading a fine line. He's very close to implying that the water problem is in God's hands. If the government failed to anticipate that an exploding population would need to be supported by an increased water supply they should be facing the heat, not putting the blame on God.

Yes, but he's treading a fine line. He's very close to implying that the water problem is in God's hands. If the government failed to anticipate that an exploding population would need to be supported by an increased water supply they should be facing the heat, not putting the blame on God.

Stupid: Yes.

Misdirection: Yes.

A violation of the spirit of the Constitution: No.

I don't know, when things seem dire for me, prayer does seem to help. Sometimes my prayers are answered and other times I just get more of a sense of peace from the act itself. I don't think there is anything wrong with a politician practicing his religion, and holding a public prayer isn't anymore harmful than attending church. And really, if you think about it... how bad is it really anytime you can get a community to gather together to act on a positive united front?

Stupid: Yes.

Misdirection: Yes.

A violation of the spirit of the Constitution: No.
I thought it was. Calling the service "interfaith" is just loopholing. I always thought preventing the establishment of a state religion was specifically to avoid this kind of stuff.

we all believe in XYZ so when bad things happen we blame not our elected leaders but It, and whomever seems most favoured by It will be elected, not necessarily the best leader but the most charismatic high-priestistabbi.

Last edited:
I thought it was. Calling the service "interfaith" is just loopholing. I always thought preventing the establishment of a state religion was specifically to avoid this kind of stuff.
No, preventing the establishment of a state religion was for that very purpose, to allow people to believe what they wish. No one listening to Purdue's prayer has to agree with what he was saying. Obviously there are enough of his constituents that believe as he does that he can remain in office and still be religious.

on his time sure, but not on govt property acting as governor

Why not? That's what the people of Georgia want, at least enough of them that they keep him in office. You and I may not agree with what he's doing but it's certainly not illegal.

valentine-card15.jpg