Full Half-Life 2 Review on Gamespot at Noon (PST)

theacoustician said:
(9.5+10+9.5+9.5+9)/5 != 9.7

Someone needs to check their math.
I'm assuming you read the part about it not being an average, right?

she's got one hell of a husky voice then!

I guess the main downfall was the storyline. After reading that behind the scenes peice, I expected more from the story, especially since they had such a focus on it from the beginning. I just hope the thing will run on my system.

Pancake Wagon said:
I'm assuming you read the part about it not being an average, right?
Yeah, but here's the thing ... why bother giving the breakdown if they don't show the weighting? It essentially makes the rating useless.

And all popups on that site suck.

theacoustician said:
Yeah, but here's the thing ... why bother giving the breakdown if they don't show the weighting? It essentially makes the rating useless.

And all popups on that site suck.
what popups?

guess i showed up a little late for the original HL. by the time i played it, i'd gone through other games that were nearly on par, so it didn't seem horribly impressive to me. as such, i'm taking reviews with a grain of salt, seeing as most of the reviewers worship the original HL.

when the guy says the story is weak, the action is very formulaic, there is only one new weapon of note, the AI is weak, and spends almost 1/4 of the review on graphics and gives the game a 9.2, it just seems a bit odd. we already had a graphics-centered disappointment come out this year.

guess i'm just a cynic. and i love the Doom 3 advert on the sidebar. :lol:

Pancake Wagon said:
flood > headcrabs

I have to disagree, but you already know why.

The graphics and physics engine are a major component of this game. Then again, so is the storyline. Weapons I don't really care about that much as long as they are somewhat varied and allow me to quickly put a bullet or some other means of death through my enemy's head. I'm dissappointed that there is no packaged multiplayer other than the revamped Counterstrike that I've been playing since forever, so that hurts my chances of buying the game. The work that the've done with the character design and facial construction seem amazing though, and I appreciate some good eyecandy in my game. I liked how the first one seemd so seemless. Moving from area to area. Progressing through this massive place with absolutely no disconnect. Halo did a great job with this too. I loved being able to look back in one of the wide open levels and go "Holy crap, I was aaaaaaall the way back there 30 minutes ago!"

bast_imret said:
I'm dissappointed that there is no packaged multiplayer other than the revamped Counterstrike that I've been playing since forever, so that hurts my chances of buying the game.
You really are a cheap bastard.

theacoustician said:
You really are a cheap bastard.

Sorry, I spent my HL2 allocated funds on your spiffy gun mouse. :cool:

I'm all spent right now between bills and Christmas shopping. If I have spare funds after awhile and can find it for a good price, I'd probably buy it. But for now, if a copy happens to show up on exploding sun, I'd grab it and try it out. Probably blow through it in a weekend anyway. Hay, I bought Doom3 and Halo 2 (which I beat in 3 days. Need live . . . :( )

Last edited:
anyone buying the gold version from valve?

anyone willing to sell me the hat and posters?