Hawt Free Trip to Vail!!!

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,350
No, not Vail, Colorado. Instead, it's "Vail", the codename behind Windows Home Server r2, which is now being released in Open Beta.

I know Fly uses it at home and swears by it. How he has discussed it, it sounds awesome. I run a w2k3 server domain at my home (for studying, mostly, but also because I know 2k3 server well, so my home network is pretty well set), but from what Fly has told me, and what I have read, Home Server is actually a pretty big deal for people looking to enhance their home computing experience. The drive combining and automated backup components are pretty damn sexy too.

Here's the link on ARS. Check it out. They have a link in the article to where you can download the Beta.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...-server-version-2-goings-into-public-beta.ars

I need to build a new home server. My old one died so I just keep a few laptops around for us to use at home and a network drive for media etc. I need to do a new server so I can access home things at work again and a camera system etc.

ahhhhh, i've HEARD of that.. i have a TON of music, too. i guess you and I will talk..

topics:
1. long boat key club
2. automated backups.
3. anything but chatroullette

It'd be pretty slick for you. You install the connector software on your laptop, and let it get backed up every night automatically. Also, on the server itself you can have "Duplication" enabled so each file is on two separate hard drives (provided you have 2 or more drives in the server) protecting you from a dead drive that way. Then you can whack the server up with some external drives so the server can back itself up onto those.

Between all of that it would be damn near impossible to lose any of your data.

I don't like the new kernel is 2008 because that means only 64-bit is supported :(

My old SP13000 VIA just won't hack it anymore :(

Only R2 requires x64. You sure this is based on R2? I highly doubt it...

edit: I'll be damned. It is x64 only. Good for M$.

2003 R2? That's 32bit and I know because we use that at work. This is built on the longhorn core, so 64-bit exclusive :(

On the subject of Windows, I feel like I should upgrade to Windows 7, if for no other reason that most 64-bit applications inexplicably only run under Vista or higher.

7 is very nice indeed. lightyears better than vista and a worthy successor to XP