FREE Breakfast at Denny's Today

You can hardly fault the motivation behind getting something free. it's not like it's poison.

Something about watching Americans come out of the woodwork for free food rubs me the wrong way. I guess we don't already consume enough in this morbidly gluttonous nation.

Something about watching Americans come out of the woodwork for free food rubs me the wrong way. I guess we don't already consume enough in this morbidly gluttonous nation.

what does it matter that it was food? if they were giving away $5 valued free gpx cd players the lines would have been just the same

Am I the only one that feels that something being free does not automatically mean its worth my time/effort to acquire?
no, everyone thinks that way. there are just almost always lots of people for whom the marginal cost in time and effort is less than the value of the item being given away.

if denny's was close to my office i would have gone yesterday.

on the other end of the spectrum are those who derive value from passing up opportunities to get something free so they can feel either more rich (and thus not willing to expend time/effort to save money) or superior (not willing to debase themselves by accepting a handout) to those who seek the free item.

Yes they are.

You could jog with a walkman, couldn't jog with CD players for years. Tapes weren't available for a while, people got out of the habit of jogging, MP3 players came out, it was too late then.
you forgot the ESP "sprint-walk-sprint-walk" phase.

What sucks is all the small Mom-and-pop diners probably made no money at all yesterday. Those are the people that need your money, not a giant corporation like Denny's that can afford to give shit away for free.

on the other end of the spectrum are those who derive value from passing up opportunities to get something free so they can feel either more rich (and thus not willing to expend time/effort to save money) or superior (not willing to debase themselves by accepting a handout) to those who seek the free item.

ahhhh... elitism.

What sucks is all the small Mom-and-pop diners probably made no money at all yesterday. Those are the people that need your money, not a giant corporation like Denny's that can afford to give shit away for free.
that's crazy talk. the servers working at denny's get paid tips just like the servers at your local mom & pop.