Freakin' color-blind cat

SpyderGST

Flaccid Member
Jun 12, 2005
Atlanta (Lilburn, Stn Mtn)
Marklar
₥0
So I've got this cool cat, she's been with me for 14 years now, and I'm finding out she's color blind. And it is getting expensive.

She's still very kitten-like for being 14 - she very active, chases things around the house, still catches chipmunks and snakes, very vocal. So, like many pet-owners, I figured she'd love to chase a laser pointer spot.

I've tried multiple cheap, red laser pointers over the years, but my cat just can't see the spot on the floor. At first, I figured it was just that model or the wavelength was just a little out of her eyesight range.

So, with my bonus money from work this year, I upgraded to a GREEN laser pointer. Bought a $75 low-power (5mW) pointer so I didn't hurt her eyes, and was so excited when it came in the mail the other day.

Tried it out, and NOTHIN'. She's as blind to that color as she is to the red ones I have tried in the past. Crap. Had I known she wouldn't be able to see it, I would have sprung for the more-expensive 55mW pointer so I could see the beam in the air and be able to pop balloons from across the room.

I guess I can find a way to strap it on one of my guns and use it all "Alien vs. Predator" style.

Now I've started looking at the BLUE and YELLOW lasers, but they're around $1,000 each! Guess my color-blind cat will just have to wait.

(/blog)

Content: has anyone else found their animals are color-blind?

Maybe the cat isn't color blind, it might just not care. My cat won't chase them either, she sees it because i've caught her looking at it before but she usually just pretends it isn't there.

ERage said:
Maybe the cat isn't color blind, it might just not care. My cat won't chase them either, she sees it because i've caught her looking at it before but she usually just pretends it isn't there.

I thought about that before, but she cases everything else (fingers under the covers, low-flying moths, she even paws at spiders and things on the floor), so I don't understand.

My parents' cat DEMANDS my dad play with her using a laser pointer at least once a night or she starting clawing his leg!

Odd.

Dharma1521 said:
You know how scientists say that dogs are color blind? How do they know? Is the eye different?

"Extensive scientific testing on dogs supports the conclusion that they live in a colorless world. The testing done primarily focussed on the dogs' responses to colors for food. Dogs could not tell the difference between one color, a signal for food, and other colors, that were not for food. Similar tests conducted on cats produced similar results, which led scientists to conclude that they, too, are colorblind and live in a gray world."

Dharma1521 said:
You know how scientists say that dogs are color blind? How do they know? Is the eye different?
What bee rad said and a lot of dissection and other medieval things involving wires in the brain.

If it's a GLP-105 laser from Leadlight you could pot mod it to around 10-20mW. Just an FYI :) Wont pop any balloons though but will help with mid air visibility. You should still be able to see the beam in lowish light conditions even at 5mW.
edit: If you do get a high power model please be sure to get goggles for it aswell. And yes, the goggles do something.

I Robert I said:
If it's a GLP-105 laser from Leadlight you could pot mod it to around 10-20mW. Just an FYI :) Wont pop any balloons though but will help with mid air visibility. You should still be able to see the beam in lowish light conditions even at 5mW.
edit: If you do get a high power model please be sure to get goggles for it aswell. And yes, the goggles do something.

It's a 5mW with APC from AtlasNova, so I will have to check and see if it is modable. The 5mW beam is slightly visible in a very dark room, but easily visible in smoke or fog.

And I hear ya about the goggles.

SpyderGST said:
It's a 5mW with APC from AtlasNova, so I will have to check and see if it is modable. The 5mW beam is slightly visible in a very dark room, but easily visible in smoke or fog.

And I hear ya about the goggles.
Will be a bit more work to get by the APC. This thread should help:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92374
(been a while since I read it but I think they worked out the issues)

*Fuxx Burger* said:
My cats are not colour blind, but they have bad flatulence problems :eek:

One of our cats has this problem too. The vet gave us some medicine for it. The medicine was so awful that the cat started running around the house foaming at the mouth and flinging slobber everywhere. Drool and I are freaking out and laughing our asses off at the same time. Needless to say that was the only dose we gave the cat and decided that his farts weren't that big of a problem.

BadMojo said:
One of our cats has this problem too. The vet gave us some medicine for it. The medicine was so awful that the cat started running around the house foaming at the mouth and flinging slobber everywhere. Drool and I are freaking out and laughing our asses off at the same time. Needless to say that was the only dose we gave the cat and decided that his farts weren't that big of a problem.

Cat farts.... :drool: