Forget Plan A, Let's Go With Plan B

Yes or no for Plan B?

• Yes! Make Plan B readily available OTC.

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No! Let nature take it's course.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
...i still think future parents should have to pass a god damned test before they unleash their seed unto this world. i mean, having a baby is a much bigger thing than learning to drive a car.

InfluX said:
...i still think future parents should have to pass a god damned test before they unleash their seed unto this world. i mean, having a baby is a much bigger thing than learning to drive a car.

agreed

theacoustician said:
Not really, it varies state to state. I'm fairly sure its Georgia law that before a doctor can perform an abortion, they are required to read some pre-approved text about "its a person inside you" and show you pictures of fetuses etc. And technically this isn't even an abortion. All this pill does is prevent the zygote from sticking to the uterus. You're not allowing it to become viable in the first place.
Never dealt with this in Georgia but I do remember that Florida doctors must have an order to perform an abortion. Granted a girl can walk into a clinic and a doctor there can write the order but usually they have to get it from their primary care, especially if they want an insurance company to pay for it.

You're right though, it's technically not an abortion. I'm just saying that the legality of the drug is not in question. The problems arise when you think about every slut you knew in high school and college thinking that this is a great way to avoid having to use a condom. The problem is a lack of education about sex.

FlyNavy said:
Never dealt with this in Georgia but I do remember that Florida doctors must have an order to perform an abortion. Granted a girl can walk into a clinic and a doctor there can write the order but usually they have to get it from their primary care, especially if they want an insurance company to pay for it.

You're right though, it's technically not an abortion. I'm just saying that the legality of the drug is not in question. The problems arise when you think about every slut you knew in high school and college thinking that this is a great way to avoid having to use a condom. The problem is a lack of education about sex.
They'll think about it, do it once, take the pill, and realize how fucking sick and nasty it makes them feel. I'm pretty sure you won't get a whole lot of repeat offenders.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yep. Considering much larger doses of progesterone are used all the time with several infertility treatments to delay ovulation, yeah I'd say this stuff is safe.

And seeing as it doesn't actually abort anything, I can't for the life of me see what basis the folks against this drug are going on.

"HOW DOES PLAN B WORK?
Plan B works through delaying or preventing ovulation, by interfering with fertilization (inhibiting the movement of the egg or the sperm through the fallopian tube), and may inhibit implantation by altering the lining of the uterus. It is not effective if the process of implantation has begun. Plan B will NOT cause a miscarriage. Plan B does not provide any protection or treatment against sexually transmitted infections. Pregnancies occurring despite treatment do not have an increased risk of adverse outcome."

Yeah, exactly the same thing that regular birth control does.

Having these other thoughts brought out lead me to say go for it and sell it (I do like the idea of having it for 18 and older only and also the cost being high enough that it hurts, but isn't impossible for people to afford). Another proof that progesterone won't hurt a pregnancy that has implanted is that they give it to mothers that have a high risk of miscarriage to help keep the pregnancy going (and also currently testing it's ability to keep those with a tendancy of preterm labor from having a preemie).

So from reading the information posted here, I say yes. I also reserve my right to change my mind if I later read information on it that shows different facts/info that I disagree with.

FlyNavy said:

Whoa insurance can pay for it? :fly:

FlyNavy said:

The fact that you could be sick for several days should be advertisment enough to make them think twice about using it birth control.

April23 said:
Whoa insurance can pay for it? :fly:
certainly. depends on state laws and the ins provider's policies, though.

An abortion with anesthesia at a decent Florida hospital can get ridiculously expensive without insurance. I'm pretty sure BCBS/FL would still cover it.

April23 said:
The fact that you could be sick for several days should be advertisment enough to make them think twice about using it birth control.
Girls aren't very smart. :fly:

kiwi said:
Another proof that progesterone won't hurt a pregnancy that has implanted is that they give it to mothers that have a high risk of miscarriage to help keep the pregnancy going (and also currently testing it's ability to keep those with a tendancy of preterm labor from having a preemie).
Yep, it's often given to women after an IVF as well for those reasons

theacoustician said:
Are you allowed to view poll results from your mod panel?
There was a lady on a radio station I listened to this morning that was a nurse at a free clinic that said she's treated plenty of 10 year old girls that were pregnant. She argued a good point against OTC birth control pills because it could potentially send the wrong message. I'm not saying that I voted no, but I hope no one flames whomever did, since both sides could be supported.

FlyNavy said:
certainly. depends on state laws and the ins provider's policies, though.

An abortion with anesthesia at a decent Florida hospital can get ridiculously expensive without insurance. I'm pretty sure BCBS/FL would still cover it.

Girls aren't very smart. :fly:

They have the abortion pill out, no need for anesthesia.

elpmis said:
There was a lady on a radio station I listened to this morning that was a nurse at a free clinic that said she's treated plenty of 10 year old girls that were pregnant. She argued a good point against OTC birth control pills because it could potentially send the wrong message. I'm not saying that I voted no, but I hope no one flames whomever did, since both sides could be supported.
The FDA is only considering allowing it for women 18 and older. Giving to younger girls isn't even an option at this point.

elpmis said:

It was easier to ask who voted no, than to ask who voted yes. Nothing against them.

Conservative fuck whoever it was. :mad: :fly:

elpmis said:

if there is any issue here, it's solely morality imo
this is no different than going from the typewriter to the computer otherwise, imo

theacoustician said:
The FDA is only considering allowing it for women 18 and older. Giving to younger girls isn't even an option at this point.
Which is why I voted yes

The nurses point was simply that it could potentially send the wrong message to younger girls that pregnancy isn't a serious issue and thus promotes unprotected sex (let alone sex at all) at an earlier age and also makes distribution of the pills from older to younger hands even easier

why_ask_why said:
this is no different than going from the typewriter to the computer otherwise, imo
No I think a very logical arguement could be the issue of what this portraits to younger girls

April23 said:
They have the abortion pill out, no need for anesthesia.
One of the worst sounds I ever heard were the screams of a girl in the next room going through the procedure without anesthesia. To this day it runs a chill up my spine. :(

why_ask_why said:
Eh, maybe. There have been numerous drugs put on the market and approved by the FDA as "safe" only to cause illness and death in significant numbers. Sometimes drugs need some more research before they're put on the shelf next to the Tylenol.

elpmis said:
No I think a very logical arguement could be the issue of what this portraits to younger girls

this argument leads to the govt being responsible for the upbringing of children which is entirely an area they should not be involved in

The idea of emergency contraception—or a morning-after pill—is based on a theory. Under this theory, if a woman has sexual intercourse and fears she may be pregnant, she can take large doses of birth control pills. If in fact the woman is pregnant when she takes these birth control pills, the high dosage could act to kill her preborn child—a living human being. The only "emergency" in this case is the woman's fear of being pregnant.

FlyNavy said:
One of the worst sounds I ever heard were the screams of a girl in the next room going through the procedure without anesthesia. To this day it runs a chill up my spine. :(

Huh? People still get it sucked out?