Forget Plan A, Let's Go With Plan B

Yes or no for Plan B?

• Yes! Make Plan B readily available OTC.

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No! Let nature take it's course.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
itburnswhenipee said:
Yeah, but I get the impression that many pro lifers are also fundie religious types and that their gripe is that the soul is present immediately after conception takes place. So the intentional destruction of even a twelve-hour old embryo is tantamount to murder. I also suspect that many of these people are constantly wracked with the worry that someone, somewhere might be having a good time.

And for those of you who think that people should be responsible for their sexuality: You're right, but... there will always be people who behave irresponsibly. The question you ask yourself is do you really want these irresponsible people to bring another human being into the world.

You bring up a lot of the points that put me on the fence about this. I'm not entirely sure when the "soul" enters the baby (but I believe it's very early on in the pregnancy), and, as I'm sure most of you could guess, I'm very anti-abortion. But on the other hand, getting pregnant and bringing a child into this world that you didn't really want and aren't prepared to make the sacrifices to properly care for them, isn't really going to help that child out much anyway.

I'm currently undecided on the factor and will have to think more on the subject and possibly post more thoughts later if I have time to formulate a more solid response.

kiwi said:
You bring up a lot of the points that put me on the fence about this. I'm not entirely sure when the "soul" enters the baby (but I believe it's very early on in the pregnancy), and, as I'm sure most of you could guess, I'm very anti-abortion. But on the other hand, getting pregnant and bringing a child into this world that you didn't really want and aren't prepared to make the sacrifices to properly care for them, isn't really going to help that child out much anyway.

I'm currently undecided on the factor and will have to think more on the subject and possibly post more thoughts later if I have time to formulate a more solid response.

I like how you put thoughts to things like this and not throw out an unmeditated answer.

Is that even a word?

kiwi said:

I heard a radio interview with some priest or cardinal or such on the topic of when the soul arrives/develops/etc. He was talking about how an early embryo can have cells removed from it without disrupting it's growth, but after a certain point the removal of a cell would make the embryo unviable. It's at that point (I can't remember how many days or weeks it takes) that he believes the soul happens. Don't know if I believe any of it, but at least he did some research and thought things through.

I'm not yet sure what my opinion is on this. Three times in my life have I had to face a situation such as this and I think I reacted differently each time. As a rule of thumb I tend to err on the side of personal responsibility rather than trusting Uncle Sam to tell me what's best.

Either way the fact that they call this "plan b" is hilarious to me. :fly:

why_ask_why said:
I'm for it
if you can get an abortion already, this obviously should be legal
It's not a question of legality, it's whether or not it should be available without a script.

FlyNavy said:
Not really, it varies state to state. I'm fairly sure its Georgia law that before a doctor can perform an abortion, they are required to read some pre-approved text about "its a person inside you" and show you pictures of fetuses etc. And technically this isn't even an abortion. All this pill does is prevent the zygote from sticking to the uterus. You're not allowing it to become viable in the first place.

theacoustician said:
The fact its taken this long to get Plan B approved OTC is a big fucking embarrassment. "Drug coctail" my ass. Its a mega dose of progesterone, aka birth control. We've (by we, I mean the FDA) has know this to be safe since 1974 and approved for sale in 1999. The only thing holding it up is the religious nut balls in this country.
Yep. Considering much larger doses of progesterone are used all the time with several infertility treatments to delay ovulation, yeah I'd say this stuff is safe.

And seeing as it doesn't actually abort anything, I can't for the life of me see what basis the folks against this drug are going on.

"HOW DOES PLAN B WORK?
Plan B works through delaying or preventing ovulation, by interfering with fertilization (inhibiting the movement of the egg or the sperm through the fallopian tube), and may inhibit implantation by altering the lining of the uterus. It is not effective if the process of implantation has begun. Plan B will NOT cause a miscarriage. Plan B does not provide any protection or treatment against sexually transmitted infections. Pregnancies occurring despite treatment do not have an increased risk of adverse outcome."

Yeah, exactly the same thing that regular birth control does.