Forget Plan A, Let's Go With Plan B

Yes or no for Plan B?

• Yes! Make Plan B readily available OTC.

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No! Let nature take it's course.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/31/morning.after.pill.ap.ap/index.html

Proposal would allow Plan B sale to women over 18 without prescription

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Food and Drug Administration said Monday that it will consider allowing over-the-counter sales of a morning-after emergency contraceptive to women 18 and older, re-starting a stalled decision-making process.

The pill, called Plan B, is made by Duramed, a subsidiary of Barr Pharmaceuticals, and is already available by prescription. But for three years the company has been trying to get permission to sell the drug over the counter.

Plan B works by stopping ovulation, or, if the egg has been fertilized, by decreasing the chance it will attach to the uterus. It contains a high dose of the ingredient in birth control pills and when used within 72 hours of unprotected sex it can lower the risk of pregnancy by almost 90 percent.

Critics charge that the drug's action amounts to an abortion. The American Life League in a statement called Plan B "a deadly cocktail of drugs" and said, "The FDA should not have authorized any use of this risky drug regimen in the first place and it certainly should not make it readily available over the counter."

But advocates say that if a woman is already pregnant the pills have no effect. Proponents of the pill say women often had trouble getting a prescription filled within 72 hours, so over-the-counter sales would make the drug more accessible and could theoretically prevent more pregnancies.

The government had agreed that Plan B was safe to be sold over the counter to adults over 18 but had delayed a final decision out of concerns that younger teens would have access to the medicine.

The FDA wants the pill to be sold behind the counter much as cigarettes are now. That way a pharmacist could check the age of a woman before they were sold.

The move comesa day before the FDA's acting commissioner, Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach, is scheduled to appear at his Senate confirmation hearing where he was expected to face tough questions on the status of Plan B.

I was listening to this on the radio this morning and it seems to be a controversial topic. I'm all for it of course, but there always seems to be some bad to go with the good.

Which would you rather have? Promiscuous people collecting STDs or continue at the rate we are with all the illegitamate children running around that could further drain our society. Yes that sounds harsh, but it's not the childs fault.. it's the stupid parents that want to get off for 10 seconds of pure bliss that they could have done with thier hand.

Now women have the option to decide how they want to treat thier slutty rendevous with a pill. Seems like a great idea to me.

Women: I bet all of us have been there, even if you are on the pill. I'm on seasonale and that's THREE WHOLE MONTHS of no period so you never know for sure what's going on inside you for a whole season. It's all in my head but I always get a little ancy around the time I'm supposed to start because being pregnant is the last thing I want to be. (I know we have a lot of mom's on the board, but it's not against you... it's just me.) Not that Plan B would help my situation, but it's the same freaked out feeling you would probably get the morning after of hard partying. Would you like to have the option at a CVS?

So are you for or against it?

I don't think it should be OTC, but accidents can happen like broken condoms and such, and I think there is a need for an alternative. Before my wife and I treied to get pregnant, we sure as hell looked forward to the period coming, but it's weird when you start trying, as you have no idea if your stuff works or not.

As an aside, what kind of price range are these pills in? Are they super expensive or what?

tre said:
I don't think it should be OTC, but accidents can happen like broken condoms and such, and I think there is a need for an alternative. Before my wife and I treied to get pregnant, we sure as hell looked forward to the period coming, but it's weird when you start trying, as you have no idea if your stuff works or not.

As an aside, what kind of price range are these pills in? Are they super expensive or what?

They guesstimated on the radio, around 40 bucks.

I would say make them expensive, but not out of reach for the poor... just enough to teach everyone a lesson. If that's at all possible.

The fact its taken this long to get Plan B approved OTC is a big fucking embarrassment. "Drug coctail" my ass. Its a mega dose of progesterone, aka birth control. We've (by we, I mean the FDA) has know this to be safe since 1974 and approved for sale in 1999. The only thing holding it up is the religious nut balls in this country.

Although its in pill form its not something that the average woman will want to take on the regular everytime she wants to just make sure. The cocktail does make you feel sick as a dog the first couple of days afterwards.

April23 said:
They guesstimated on the radio, around 40 bucks.

I would say make them expensive, but not out of reach for the poor... just enough to teach everyone a lesson. If that's at all possible.

Absolutely, they shouldn't be a crutch or a backup plan. People still have to be responible with their sexuality.

tre said:
Absolutely, they shouldn't be a crutch or a backup plan. People still have to be responible with their sexuality.

That is a two way street. There are countless times where one party downright lied about their biological status between sex be it their HIV status or if they were on the pill or not. One of my best friends almost got a child because his ex 'forgot' to take a few doses of the pill. In his case he won out (if you can call it that) because she later ended up losing it. I can also recall one of my friends in highschool getting stuck because she admitted that she had birth control but she never said she was actually taking it.

Ryokurin said:
Although its in pill form its not something that the average woman will want to take on the regular everytime she wants to just make sure. The cocktail does make you feel sick as a dog the first couple of days afterwards.

Well it shouldn't be a contraceptive.

shawndavid said:
How can Pro LIfe people be against this? It's a dividing cell for Christ's sake. I bet these bitches use pumus on the skin cells of tehir feet. Who decides which cells are cleared for destruction? Is a dermo abrasion now murder? What about chemo? Can we no longer kill cancer cells?

Preach it brother! My favorite hypocracy of all is Bushs stance on stem cell research....yet he sends thousands of US troops off to sacrafice their lives for the 'good' of the world.

Ryokurin said:
That is a two way street. There are countless times where one party downright lied about their biological status between sex be it their HIV status or if they were on the pill or not. One of my best friends almost got a child because his ex 'forgot' to take a few doses of the pill. In his case he won out (if you can call it that) because she later ended up losing it. I can also recall one of my friends in highschool getting stuck because she admitted that she had birth control but she never said she was actually taking it.

Of course it's a two way street. If you can't be sure that a woman your sexing up is taking the pill properly, wrap it up. If you're not prepared for the possibility of an accidental pregnancy or a disease then you should rethink your need for sex. Most teens these days don't understand that the pill is not foolproof, and *surprise* doesn't protect from disease transmission. Hell, a condom is only like 80 something percent effective when used correctly, which it isn't always. A friend of my wife just gave birth to twins this week. They were the result of an unplanned pregnancy, they were out of rubbers and figured they could just beat the odds, but obviously didn't.

Fuck I wish we could just sterilize everyone until they could prove they were responsible enough to have kids.

shawndavid said:
How can Pro LIfe people be against this? It's a dividing cell for Christ's sake. I bet these bitches use pumus on the skin cells of tehir feet. Who decides which cells are cleared for destruction? Is a dermo abrasion now murder? What about chemo? Can we no longer kill cancer cells?

Yeah, but I get the impression that many pro lifers are also fundie religious types and that their gripe is that the soul is present immediately after conception takes place. So the intentional destruction of even a twelve-hour old embryo is tantamount to murder. I also suspect that many of these people are constantly wracked with the worry that someone, somewhere might be having a good time.

And for those of you who think that people should be responsible for their sexuality: You're right, but... there will always be people who behave irresponsibly. The question you ask yourself is do you really want these irresponsible people to bring another human being into the world.