Forcing me to protect myself? Blow Job?

I absolutely loath it when people bring in the whole seperation of church and state as why we shouldn't allow religious teachings in public schools. Especially when you can simply disect the very statement there and have it work. It is seperation of the Church and the State. Not religion and the state.

More importantly than that, though. A simple religious studies class in public schools that touched on the major beliefs of all religions would be an absolute god send if done right. I think this would help almost as much as teaching people correctly about what the consequences of having sex are. (As well as how to take precautions against them, of course.)

eileenbunny said:
Why can't we teach it all in school? Teachers can just say some people believe this theory, some people believe this theory, and some people don't know what they believe. I think it is important to understand everyone's point of view and then make up your own mind what you personally want to think. If we don't teach evolution or intelligent design or any of the theories, then we are gonna wind up with some really ignorant people running around. Why not just make them all more well rounded? Then again, this might promote tolerance, and we certainly wouldn't want that.

Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Instead of keeping everyone ignorant, we should have a separate, mandatory class in high school that discusses all theories of creation.

InnerMuse said:
Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Instead of keeping everyone ignorant, we should have a separate, mandatory class in high school that discusses all theories of creation.

I think the fuss is being made because some people want their own pet creation myth taught in a science class where is has no business being.

itburnswhenipee said:
I think the fuss is being made because some people want their own pet creation myth taught in a science class where is has no business being.

Which brings me back to my point!....ah, nevermind. :)

InnerMuse said:
Find enough impartial teachers who can discuss religon with no bias. Oh wait...

theacoustician said:
Find enough impartial teachers who can discuss religon with no bias. Oh wait...

I'll discuss any religion you'd like to talk about without bias. All except Snake Dancing, that crap is just crazy.

KNYTE said:
I'll discuss any religion you'd like to talk about without bias. All except Snake Dancing, that crap is just crazy.
Would you be willing to discuss it with 4-5 groups of 35 teenages every day for $35k/yr? How do you know that you can present all the religions of the world without letting bias sneak in?

KNYTE said:

I've always enjoyed Emo Phillips' sketch on religion:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said 'Stop! don't do it!'

'Why shouldn't I?' he said.

I said, 'Well, there's so much to live for!'

He said, 'Like what?'

I said, 'Well...are you religious or atheist?'

He said, 'Religious.'

I said, 'Me too!

Are you Christian or Buddhist?'

He said, 'Christian.'

I said, 'Me too!

Are you Catholic or Protestant?'

He said, 'Protestant.'

I said, 'Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?'

He said, 'Baptist!'

I said, 'Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?'

He said, 'Baptist Church of God!'

I said, 'Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?'

He said, 'Reformed Baptist Church of God!'

I said, 'Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?'

He said, 'Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!'

I said, 'Die, heretic scum,' and pushed him off.

theacoustician said:
Would you be willing to discuss it with 4-5 groups of 35 teenages every day for $35k/yr? How do you know that you can present all the religions of the world without letting bias sneak in?

Does your sword hand parry as well as your mouth does dear sir?

theacoustician said:

i honestly can say i think i could because i honestly respect each religion. i don't think any religion is better than the others. each to his own. everyone cannot possibly fit the same mold, and that's all religions are. so long as people find the mold they fit in, so be it. we're all using the same batter to make the cake -- just in different molds.

Who gives a shit about how we got here? We're here. That is a fact. The world would be swell if we spent our time looking forward instead of backward. NO RELIGION IN SCHOOL!

I'm not sure how many of you were offered AP English in high school, but I got to take it. Part of the requirements for the course were to read portions of the Bible, Torrah, and Koran. Students were required to have their parents sign a form approving them to read the texts and attached to every form was the entire lession plan in regards to these texts. Everyone was made perfectly aware what was going on. If you didn't get your parents to sign, you were sent to another room and given an alternate assignment.

Guess what? It still had half the class's panties in a wad. All the students with strong religous convictions bitched about how something wasn't portrayed the way it should be blah blah blah. Parents got invoved. It became a mess, but the school won because of the permission slips and the prepublication of the lession plan.

Point being we can't even teach the basics of math and reading to most kids in public school and you want to involve the complexities and volitility of religion? Give me a break.

If you aren't even willing to try, of course you won't succeed. :)

Not to mention it sounds more like you were fighting the inertia of the bullshit than that the class went wrong. This would be like pointing out that allowing black people in school is too difficult and disturbs everyone so we shouldn't do it.

Not to mention that evidently half of the class benefited from it without wadding their panties.

taeric said:
If you aren't even willing to try, of course you won't succeed. :)

Not to mention it sounds more like you were fighting the inertia of the bullshit than that the class went wrong. This would be like pointing out that allowing black people in school is too difficult and disturbs everyone so we shouldn't do it.

Not to mention that evidently half of the class benefited from it without wadding their panties.
I would use the term benefit loosely, but I see your point. If our "smart kids" can't even handle it, how do you think the "dumb ones" will take it?

I still think there are way more important issues with education than if we should teach religion or not. When our school system is #1 in the world, fine, let's talk about if/how we should teach religion in schools. Till then, let's just work at getting everyone to be able to read and do math at/above their grade level.

theacoustician said:
I would use the term benefit loosely, but I see your point. If our "smart kids" can't even handle it, how do you think the "dumb ones" will take it?

I still think there are way more important issues with education than if we should teach religion or not. When our school system is #1 in the world, fine, let's talk about if/how we should teach religion in schools. Till then, let's just work at getting everyone to be able to read and do math at/above their grade level.

Actually I think it would be great if a comparative religion class was offered as an elective. As far a public schools are concerned I think it would be appropriate if it were offered that way, much like an art or music class. I believe those types of classes are also valuable to a persons development. I took a Contemporary Issues class while in HS and religion came up often. Our textbook was the newspaper and CNN and we sat around discussing the news. Sure it wasn't as important as the core classes, sure a lot of kids just slacked off in there, but it was a great class that taught some very valuable lessons. Most people are so absorbed in their own little world. As a teenager I only cared about movies and music. I think exposing kids to a bigger picture and allowing them a forum to discuss it is extremely valuable. Otherwise they're more likely to just take whats handed to them, and end up in front of the tv zoning out to Survivor XXVI wondering who JLo is going to marry next.

I took the same AP English class as TheAc, a year later and I don't remeber any of that...not saying that it didn't happen...I just don't remember.