Forcing me to protect myself? Blow Job?

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Can I just say that I hate the government sometimes? More specifically the ridiculous laws on the books mandating that I preserve my own health. It's absurd.

Seatbelt laws? Fuck off. I'm going to pursue a lawsuit against the State of Texas to challenge this legislation. It's the same as forcing car manufacturers to include air bags on new vehicles. Am I wrong, or is it beyond the scope of the government to pass and enforce laws forcing people to protect themselves? How can that possibly be constitutional? Abortion is legal, so I know the government understands a person's right to their own body's health, but it's illegal to drive without a seatbelt? Who's kidding who?

I suppose pretty soon I will get a ticket for walking too near a busy street, or climbing a flight of stairs too briskly.

"How can that possibly be constitutional?"

It sure as hell isn't, and I'm sick and fucking tired of polititians rambling on about Constitution this and Constitution that when they can't write a single piece of legislation that's useful.

And now Honda is starting to put airbags on motorcycles :rolleyes:

Pretty soon motorcycles are gonna have gyro stabilizers and temperature / air moisture ignition locks "for our safety"

ChikkenNoodul said:
"How can that possibly be constitutional?"

It sure as hell isn't, and I'm sick and fucking tired of polititians rambling on about Constitution this and Constitution that when they can't write a single piece of legislation that's useful.

And now Honda is starting to put airbags on motorcycles :rolleyes:

Pretty soon motorcycles are gonna have gyro stabilizers and temperature / air moisture ignition locks "for our safety"

Morcycles already have a gyro stabilizer. It's called the drivetrain.

I can understand making everyone have inssurance, but if a dumbass wants to drive without a seatbelt then let them! Less dumbasses on the road tomorrow. I think we need to stop protecting and coddling the stupid, then maybe there would be less stupid people in the world. Survival of the fittest. I also believe if we had strict time limits on unemployment due to stupidity then all of the sudden they would either get off their lazy asses and get jobs or die off. Either way is a win win situation.

b_sinning said:
I can understand making everyone have inssurance, but if a dumbass wants to drive without a seatbelt then let them! Less dumbasses on the road tomorrow. I think we need to stop protecting and coddling the stupid, then maybe there would be less stupid people in the world. Survival of the fittest. I also believe if we had strict time limits on unemployment due to stupidity then all of the sudden they would either get off their lazy asses and get jobs or die off. Either way is a win win situation.
The problem is that the same dumb people who don't want to wear seatbelts want to sue someone else when they crash their cars and lose a limb. They want someone else to be responsible for them, to tell them what to do and how to live their life. They're actually the ones demanding for these laws and goverment impositions.

Very true Zengirl. I think the ability for anyone to sue over ANYTHING has majorly fucked up our society over the last 30 years. I think all lawsuits have to get approval from some sort of civilan panel before going to the legal system. Sort of like criminal cases have to do with a grand jury.

Plus, it's just one more thing that they can ticket you for and generate more revenue. What is the general cost of a seat belt fine these days?

The government understands a person rights with their own body, they just don't respect it. It's kinda like why euthanasia is illegal. They justify seatbelt laws because if you don't use them, you could endanger other people by flying through your windshield and into theirs. :rolleyes: So rather than letting you decide for yourself if you want to take that chance, they make that decision for you. Besides, they can't let you injure yourself cuz then they'd loose tax revenue.

ERage said:
Plus, it's just one more thing that they can ticket you for and generate more revenue. What is the general cost of a seat belt fine these days?
The supreme court of massachusetts decided last year that it was unconstitutional for police to stop people for not wearing seatbelts, but that they could be ticketed for it if stopped for something else.

And so the legislature goes ahead and passes a law saying it's okay for police to stop people for not wearing seat belts last week :rolleyes:

$50 fine I think

b_sinning said:
Very true Zengirl. I think the ability for anyone to sue over ANYTHING has majorly fucked up our society over the last 30 years. I think all lawsuits have to get approval from some sort of civilan panel before going to the legal system. Sort of like criminal cases have to do with a grand jury.

Actually I would hate to live in a country where I couldn't sue someone over anything. Sure some people take advantage of the system, but there always will be.

Pandora said:
Actually I would hate to live in a country where I couldn't sue someone over anything. Sure some people take advantage of the system, but there always will be.
I think the most experience I have with this is malpractice lawsuits. Even though the majority of them get thrown out or the doctors win, an amazing amount of resources are spent defending a case. One case in particular I know of has been going on for 12 years, the doctor finally won the case, but c'mon 12 years! For our practice, we pay more for a single doctor's yearly malpractice premium than most of the employees get paid in a year. Malpractice insurance is so unbelievably expensive, depending on an area, doctors are actually forced to pick up and move because they just can't afford to practice.

And this is with the majority of cases being thrown out.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The supreme court of massachusetts decided last year that it was unconstitutional for police to stop people for not wearing seatbelts, but that they could be ticketed for it if stopped for something else.

And so the legislature goes ahead and passes a law saying it's okay for police to stop people for not wearing seat belts last week :rolleyes:

$50 fine I think

They'll put anything into legislation that will generate more $$ for them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all vote to give ourselves more money, and threaten people with jailtime if they don't give it to us?

zengirl said:
I think the most experience I have with this is malpractice lawsuits. Even though the majority of them get thrown out or the doctors win, an amazing amount of resources are spent defending a case. One case in particular I know of has been going on for 12 years, the doctor finally won the case, but c'mon 12 years! For our practice, we pay more for a single doctor's yearly malpractice premium than most of the employees get paid in a year. Malpractice insurance is so unbelievably expensive, depending on an area, doctors are actually forced to pick up and move because they just can't afford to practice.

And this is with the majority of cases being thrown out.

I know there are A LOT of problems with malpractice lawsuits, and it's wreaking havoc on our medical system. I don't have an answer for it. But there needs to be a system that holds doctors accountable for their mistakes, and helps the patients that were harmed by them.

Pandora said:
I know there are A LOT of problems with malpractice lawsuits, and it's wreaking havoc on our medical system. I don't have an answer for it. But there needs to be a system that holds doctors accountable for their mistakes, and helps the patients that were harmed by them.
Well of course, but we also need to put the breaks on frivolous lawsuits. Just because a person dies doesn't mean a doctor or facility was at fault, people die, that's a natural fact of life, and doctors aren't Gods.