For the Visually Impaired

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
I'm overdue for an eye checkup. My headaches are starting to be more frequent and more intense.. I've had two eye checks since '98. I've been wearing glasses since the first one. Screw contacts.

So, the questions I have for you guys are:

1) How often do you get an eye exam?

2) Where is the cheapest place to get glasses? (I think fly knows some interweb place)

3) How bad is your vision and does it adversely affect you on a daily basis?

I go when my prescription is getting blurry. Fly does know some overseas place that will do glasses cheap.

I can go without glasses just fine. Fly begs to differ.

If you can do lasik go for it. If you have a flexible spending plan at work, use it! That was my plan until I lost my balls.

I go once a year. I wear contacts and just buy a years supply at a time.
Sams Club is about the cheapest walk-in place to get my contacts, may be the same for glasses.
Without vision correction Im pretty much blind.

1.) I haven't received an eye exam since I was in high school.
2.) I get a pair of glasses (or contacts) free once a year due to insurance (if I ever decide to go to an optometrist)
3.) I probably need to wear glasses but don't. I went from 20-200 wearing glasses to 20-20 because I decided not to wear them anymore. I'm now probably 20-40 in my right and 20-80 in my left (due to an eye injury)

Last edited:
i'm pretty close to legally blind :(

Well, i dont think its that serious, but when i went to join the navy they had to get a waiver about my vision from some recruiter high up in the ranks.

I've considered lasik but for now i wear contacts and never take them out. Been doing that for years and my eye guy says its all good.

FYI - been wearing glasses since i was around 3-4 without them, i couldn't walk a block.

I've been wearing glasses since 1st grade (prolly needed them before then, but it's just the first time a teacher cared enough/decided to mention it I guess lol).

I wear a -9 glasses, and a -8.5 contacts (although I ordered a -9 this time and while I need reading glasses to read my laptop .. I can see everything else so much better).

I haven't had an eye exam (well that's not true, I went for the lasik exam and that's how I know I wear a -9 glasses, I read my chart while the lady was out of the room :lol: , so technically I didn't have an eye exam, cas she wasn't going to tell me haha ) in prolly 5+ years.

I got an eye exam, sent my script in to 1800contacts and I've been ordering contacts online ever since. If I wear my glasses alot before I order I get a lower script, because my eye sight improves a little (from all that glorious oxygen my eyes get from not having in contacts), if not I order a stronger one, like this time.

I love that place :lol:.

I am -4.75 in each of my eyes and have been since 1998. I used to go once a year, then once every two years (as my glasses wore out). Now I need to go again as it has been over 4 years and my glasses are worn out.

My last pair of glasses was from Pearl Vision. I chose that place because my insurance covered it. Of course even after insurance covered most, it was still $190 out of my pocket for the pair. I would do laser/lasik/something but the doctor I want to go to that has the latest laser technology is in columbus, 2.5 hours away.

Coqui, can I stay and your place and recover? :heart:

I have perfect vision...somehow got lucky because both my parents and all grandparents wear glasses

I am -4.75 in each of my eyes and have been since 1998. I used to go once a year, then once every two years (as my glasses wore out). Now I need to go again as it has been over 4 years and my glasses are worn out.

My last pair of glasses was from Pearl Vision. I chose that place because my insurance covered it. Of course even after insurance covered most, it was still $190 out of my pocket for the pair. I would do laser/lasik/something but the doctor I want to go to that has the latest laser technology is in columbus, 2.5 hours away.

Coqui, can I stay and your place and recover? :heart:

Sure. Which place here do you want to go to? Dr. Beran the Laser man? :lol:

We get contacts or glasses once a year with insurance, so thats how often we go. My correction is only -1 in both eyes so I can go without glasses/contacts pretty easily but I don't like driving at night without them.

Knyte on the other hand is messed up.

Without contacts I am pretty much legally blind. I have an eye exam annually, the full blown show. Cornea check, retina check, letter test, etc. My vision insurance is awesome, so I never really pay much. And I set aside pre-tax dollars from each paycheck to cover the cost of a year's supply of lenses.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/wavelight/

Sadly enough yes.

Robin Beran, M.D.
Columbus Laser Center
5150 East Dublin-Granville
Westerville, OH 43081
614-939-1600
www.columbuslaser.com

All laser using a customizable laser mapping the curvature of your eye instead of flat cuts.

Don't take the laugh as it being a bad place to go. I don't know anything about laser surgery nor do I know how good he is. He's just the one I constantly hear about on the radio.

1. My new eye doctor recommends I get an eye exam every year.
2. I don't know of the cheapest place. I just use Lenscrafters as their glasses are nice, good selection of frames, and good service.
3. My vision is pretty bad. I have a -8 or so diopter in each eye, with a bad astigmastism. Due to my eye exam, the eye doctor recommended I get a 2nd pair of glasses when I sit at my computer. The glasses have the antiglare coating and also are a couple diopter less in prescription, so I do not strain my eyes, as I am extremely nearsighted.

I hadn't gotten new lenses nor had an eye exam in 3 years. My old eye doctor retired, so I was left to find a new eye doctor. I once had an exam done by his associate, but I didn't like that eye doctor at all. I called Lenscrafters, and they referred me next door to an eyedoctor. This eyedoctor was really nice, and she knew her stuff. For the first time ever in an exam, she did the eye drops and tinting test, where she puts eye drops in to dialate your pupils (I looked like had dropped a ton of acid, man...) and then puts in another eye drop to tint your eye slightly yellow. I guess this tests for glaucoma and cornea damage.

She did find two problem areas on my retina in my left eye that will have to be checked each year to make sure my retinas aren't becoming detached or other issues. These issues were never found in my previous eye exams. I found the exam to be very thorough. She explained the entire process too, along the way and I learned a bunch.

I wear glasses as opposed to contacts as I have really sensitive eyes, due to allergies and what not. Bright sunlight and objects near my eyes freak me out. So that makes contacts pretty much out of the question.

I'm waiting for some longterm studies on the Lasik and other types of Laser Eye Corrective surgeries to see what possible side-effects those surgeries have long term. Cuz you only get one pair of eyes.

edit: What also sucks is that I have extremely long eyelashes, so when one falls in my eye, it is like someone is sticking a dagger in it. Bothers the fuck out of me to no end. If I had a $1.00 for each time a woman commented on how long my eyelashes are, I'd be rich.

Last edited:
I'm overdue for an eye checkup. My headaches are starting to be more frequent and more intense.. I've had two eye checks since '98. I've been wearing glasses since the first one. Screw contacts.

So, the questions I have for you guys are:

1) How often do you get an eye exam?

2) Where is the cheapest place to get glasses? (I think fly knows some interweb place)

3) How bad is your vision and does it adversely affect you on a daily basis?

I've never had a headache. Glasses or otherwise, I just don't get them. My eyeballs start to ache after playing bones on the computer for an extended period of time or if I switch to new pair of glasses. I don't know if that counts as a headache though.

I probably could have used glasses earlier in life. I didn't get a prescription until the year I took 6th, 7th and 8th grades. I wore contacts throughout high school.

I passed the eye exam for my first driver's license without corrective lenses. I have had to use them ever since. I was a -1 or -1.5 back then.

1) Since high school, I have been getting an eye exam every year or two. My mom's twin died when she was a kid because of a cancer that had something to do with the eyes. My mom's mom had numerous problems with her eyes that basically made her blind before she died. So I go get my eyes checked every so often even if I don't get new glasses.

2) I have no clue. The last time I purchased glasses, I had insurance that covered just about everything.

3) Currently, the prescription for my contacts are -2 for the left eye and -2.25 for the right. I have to get a special contact for my left eye that has a small weight in it. It allows the contact to orient properly in the eye to adjust for astigmatism. They cost a bit more than normal contacts for my right eye. I would assume my glasses are pretty close to the contact prescription.

I would think that poor vision adversely affects anyone that needs corrective lenses. I despise wearing glasses. Since I don't really need safety glasses as much as I used to, I've been thinking about lasik. If not lasik, extended wear contacts. It is about time for me to order new contacts anyways and I could get used to no glasses real quick.