Thread For Mike, Laim, et al.

I have a cynical view of organized religion, because it's so political. I have a very positive outlook on spirituality though. I encourage people to embrace whatever makes them feel whole and purpose-driven.

I should qualify that by adding "in a way that benefits mankind and does not hinder or obstruct it." Because let's face it. There are a lot of purpose-driven assholes out there.

Speaking of being smug certain.

nfm99.png

And there in lies the problem. People can't be fulfilled by themselves anymore.

Anymore? People have always sought answers to the great question. What lies beyond? Ever since we could grunt our way out of caves we've had superstitious or shamanic beliefs. Mysticism is as much a part of us as music.

Anymore? People have always sought answers to the great question. What lies beyond? Ever since we could grunt our way out of caves we've had superstitious or shamanic beliefs. Mysticism is as much a part of us as music.

Are you moving the target on me? Weren't we talking about hope and love?

because in those times they didn't even have a basic understanding of the world around them. religion/mysticism/spirituality/etc is the caveman's explanation for why the sun disappears at night. in a world where rational thought and reasoned analysis can begin to explain the natural world, those should be the methods used to answer the question of what lies beyond, not looking back to thousand year old texts with dragons and giants.

because in those times they didn't even have a basic understanding of the world around them. religion/mysticism/spirituality/etc is the caveman's explanation for why the sun disappears at night. in a world where rational thought and reasoned analysis can begin to explain the natural world, those should be the methods used to answer the question of what lies beyond, not looking back to thousand year old texts with dragons and giants.

We aren't discussing that. Regardless, you can't wave away over 10,000 years of human behavior with a smirk and a roll of the eyes. We are hardwired to believe in something greater at this point. Unless you think it's a coincidence that something like 80% of the earth's population is religiously affiliated in some way.

We have far more advanced scientific information now, and yet countless people accept that science while still holding onto their religious beliefs. So at this point religion no longer really explains the inexplicable. Instead it fills voids.

Last edited: