WTF For all you runners...

Surely the more muscle groups you are using in an exercise, the higher the overall calorie rate you can achieve. It would seem obvious that if you use both arms and legs you can burn more calories per hour than using just your legs.

im glad they work for someone :( Its so different going back to normal shoes
I would have switched back to normal shoes at around 15-17 minutes, but I forgot to bring my regular shoes along. The first time I did that, my calves were sore for about a week and a half. No problem this time (about 3 weeks into ownership).

The VFFs are the only shoes in which my feet don't fall asleep, which sucks.

Back in normal shoes, im about the same speed, but heres what i notice

Pros: I can stride properly, i dont shuffle anymore, my fastest mile pace is down about a minute to around 6
Cons: I get stitches in my side again, and sore thighs (different muscle groups use)
Unsure: My heart rate is higher, and im more out of breath when at speed. This seems like a good thing for conditioning, but if im the same speed as the vibrams... why am i exerting more energy for same speed.

Unsure: My heart rate is higher, and im more out of breath when at speed. This seems like a good thing for conditioning, but if im the same speed as the vibrams... why am i exerting more energy for same speed.

The same reason you exert more energy to keep a mountain bike at speed than a road bike. The road bike has a more direct coupling to the road, while with the mountain bike, you're losing energy in suspension compression with every pedal stroke.

Back in normal shoes, im about the same speed, but heres what i notice

Pros: I can stride properly, i dont shuffle anymore, my fastest mile pace is down about a minute to around 6
Cons: I get stitches in my side again, and sore thighs (different muscle groups use)

Did you take a break between breaking up with your Vibrams and starting with the 13s? You may have lost some endurance in muscle and stuff. Also it's getting warmer out, and side stitch usually equates to inadequate hydration.

Also, 6 minute mile? You can fuck right off about telling me that you're slow :p

I did, so thats certainly a consideration, i was out about 12 days. I cant have lost too too much in 12 days, but something probably.

Did you take a break between breaking up with your Vibrams and starting with the 13s? You may have lost some endurance in muscle and stuff. Also it's getting warmer out, and side stitch usually equates to inadequate hydration.

Also, 6 minute mile? You can fuck right off about telling me that you're slow :p

oh, thats not remotely sustained. At distance im around 11 at the moment.

I did, so thats certainly a consideration, i was out about 12 days. I cant have lost too too much in 12 days, but something probably.

Could just be the perfect storm of things. How's your strength training routine?

Also, while I have your attention, I think I remember you posting a pic of you here like a week or so ago? And then I saw someone that I ran a relay with last year...and he looks exactly like you. Or someone else here that I thought was you. He's from MD as well.

Could just be the perfect storm of things. How's your strength training routine?

Also, while I have your attention, I think I remember you posting a pic of you here like a week or so ago? And then I saw someone that I ran a relay with last year...and he looks exactly like you. Or someone else here that I thought was you. He's from MD as well.

twasnt me.

So list of people im not so far

1) Any varying ex of yours (as im not murdered)
2) Relay runner

Strength training :p non-existent. My strength training is practical, always has been. Haul rocks, move mulch, trees, lumber, etc.

Probably explains why i have the appearance of a 12 year old girl, or an april.

Ahh, okay then, carry on.

Someone here is a dead ringer for this guy though. Runner, md native, but makes poor life choices and is a Browns fan :lol:

I've been having some ankle pain recently. I switched to some lighter shoes last night and that seemed to help. I need to start wearing some headphones so I can use a metronome to get my cadence up. I think that will help too...

ive never been one for music, but the metronome thing sure is handy. May have to do the same.

I currently when im going fast count in my head. one two, one two, one two

I've been having some ankle pain recently. I switched to some lighter shoes last night and that seemed to help. I need to start wearing some headphones so I can use a metronome to get my cadence up. I think that will help too...

Podrunner has some podcasts that are EDM specifically set to particular BPM. There are ramp series to reach about 180, and it's a hell of a lot less infuriating than listening to a metronome.

ive never been one for music, but the metronome thing sure is handy. May have to do the same.

I currently when im going fast count in my head. one two, one two, one two

Here's something I've learned about the footfall counting thing.

You will subconsciously tend to land harder on the foot on your "one", which will always be the same if you have an even numbered count going in your head. I will do some periodic cadence counts in my head, but it's always to 5 or 9.

i think its fallback from when i used to swim competitively.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR BREATH ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE SIX BREATH

etc

oh, and forgot to mention a con with real shoes from above. I feel massively more impact. It shakes up my knees to my hips. The vibrams were very light falling