Ontopic FOOD AND RECIPIES

How's the smell? There's one not too far from where my mom lives. If the breeze is right in the summer, the smell is absolutely terrible.
Honestly "farms" traditional ones, don't really smell. It's production farming that "smells." My uncle's place smells mostly like clover this time of year.

Most farms smell like mud. That biting tang from factory farms isn't natural.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
legitimately didn't even know it was there. I've driven by it and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. maybe it's the difference between heritage type raising, they're on a pasture like cows instead of just chilling in filth
Ya, I've no idea what kind of farm my mom is near. All I know is that you can smell it.

I lived by a dairy farm growing up and one in Phoenix. When the wind blew the smell in our direction it was pretty bad.

Chicken farms smell far worse
yeah they fuckin do. there's one outside of a town I travel to. You can smell it about a mile away on hot days. No clue how there's a house on site with actual people living in it. I can't imagine that house will ever not smell.

Ya, I've no idea what kind of farm my mom is near. All I know is that you can smell it.
as was already mentioned, most any factory farming operation will smell pretty serious. the heritage operations have the dirt and earth smell, with a little funk in the barns depending on size.

We've got some reservations for a dinner at one of the local farms this spring. tickets were $200/ea and it's for 20 people total. they butcher an entire animal for the crowd and then a Michelin star chef cooks it into a meal and serves it to the group. a friend went last year and said it was probably the best meal he had ever eaten, so we booked for this year once they started selling tickets. super stoked to go.

as was already mentioned, most any factory farming operation will smell pretty serious. the heritage operations have the dirt and earth smell, with a little funk in the barns depending on size.

We've got some reservations for a dinner at one of the local farms this spring. tickets were $200/ea and it's for 20 people total. they butcher an entire animal for the crowd and then a Michelin star chef cooks it into a meal and serves it to the group. a friend went last year and said it was probably the best meal he had ever eaten, so we booked for this year once they started selling tickets. super stoked to go.
Yeah, chicken farms are probably the worst, with hogs in second. Those 2 mil pole barns are not yo family farm type gear and chicken shit will literally kill you in minutes w/o a respirator and giant fans.

Farm to table stuff is cool. Around here we're also seeing a lot of direct farm marketing for meat show up. Half a cow trimmed and packed for $800 is a good deal I just don't have a freezer

230505432image0000001.jpg

Weekend plans. 7 pounds of short ribs going on the smoker.

• Gravy
Reactions: tre
@tre rub didn't come up in search, but @gee run did.

tre rub

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground coriander
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I make a big jar's worth at a time

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
tre rub

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground coriander
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I make a big jar's worth at a time
Tre rub is fantastic. The coriander is critical.

thanks guys, i'll give it a shot. the one i'm using now doesn't have coriander in it so that might be a cool addition
There's two kinds of coriander. Might want to check what he means being suspiciously canadian. I'm guessing seeds but who knows.