Flytrap #2 - Possible NSFW Content and WAW fail , Whiskey Bacon and tamale hootch

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://mises.org/daily/5477/Hutts-Crushing-Blow-to-Keynes

Good article on how unemployment is good (and keynesian economics is bad).

Seems like it could be interesting, but that article is ridiculously biased. It makes a ton of claims of which are never explained completely. There are probably parts of this man's theories which we should adopt, yet I tend to disagree with anyone who says there is a single correct way for economics, or any policy making for that matter. I believe societies must be consistently readjusting their policies.

There has been a trend since 2008 pushing Keynesian economics in a lot of books, the press, etc. I duuno, the ideas in it always seemed half baked vs the alternatives.

Id say that trend has been going on a lot longer than 2008

Seems like it could be interesting, but that article is ridiculously biased. It makes a ton of claims of which are never explained completely. There are probably parts of this man's theories which we should adopt, yet I tend to disagree with anyone who says there is a single correct way for economics, or any policy making for that matter. I believe societies must be consistently readjusting their policies.

Its an opinion, of course its biased. And I bet those claims are explained if you read the book that the article is about...

Id say that trend has been going on a lot longer than 2008

Its an opinion, of course its biased. And I bet those claims are explained if you read the book that the article is about...

Sure, but that article does not make me want to buy the book.

Also, where can I find someone arguing against Hutt's theories?

There has been a trend since 2008 pushing Keynesian economics in a lot of books, the press, etc. I duuno, the ideas in it always seemed half baked vs the alternatives.

If you took a macroeconomics course in the last fifty years, you learned Keynesian economics.

If you took a macroeconomics course in the last fifty years, you learned Keynesian economics.
I read a lot of textbooks. When I say pushing, I mean pushing. There is a difference between presenting a number of alternate methods and 'Keynes is God incarnate' tone of some more recent works.

Sure, but that article does not make me want to buy the book.

Also, where can I find someone arguing against Hutt's theories?

There are basically two economic camps: Austrian theory and Keynes. He's refuting the Keynesian economic theory. So check anything out by Keynes. I'm guessing you'd be a fan, because it revolves a lot around intense government spending and is essentially the current economic policy of the US.

I took macroeconomics about two years ago and it wasn't brought up at all. :hs:
Most books are synthesized style. It really depends on if things are presented as alternate theories, or if they give you one hard and fast rule.

Economics is such a soft science it boggles the mind. It's definitely not rigorous by any stretch.

My bro flies back to Philly tomorrow. And my friend in the Army flies home from Germany tonight into tomorrow. Security at airports should be a fun time. May as well show up naked and get through security faster.

I went here today with my bro and mom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Narrows_Bridge_and_Observatory

IMG_1466.JPG

old bridge in front, new bridge behind

IMG_1470.JPG

Observation Deck as seen from the ground, some 420ft up

IMG_1486.JPG

Looking down at traffic from the Observation Deck. Made me a little uneasy (I'm not great with heights).

IMG_1484.JPG

Facing south towards the ocean way off in the distance.

IMG_1477.JPG

Fort Knox in the foreground, a paper mill background towards left, town of Bucksport in background towards right.

Status
Not open for further replies.