Flytrap #2 - Possible NSFW Content and WAW fail , Whiskey Bacon and tamale hootch

Status
Not open for further replies.
You kids don't have it hard. WE had it hard. I had to walk 6 miles in the snow. 6' deep. In Antarctica. In July.
I have to walk 2 miles from my assigned parking at work. Uphill both ways. On top of a mountain. :p

The reasons I would want to live in Canada is because of how nice the people are and how awesome working for them is. IBWIP works for a Canadian firm right now and his quality of life is way better because of it. It's not like he and I have never worked for American companies before to have some way of comparing. Just the whole philosophy seems to be different.

Here's some examples. He wears jeans and t-shirts to work every day. If he has something else going on that needs attending to, he can work from home as long as he gets his job done. He has never had to keep track of time taken off for illness, or because he had to take care of his grandfather, or go to the doctors with me. Nobody has even questioned it and they didn't hit up his paid leave over it. Vacation time is for holidays in the eyes of this company, not doctors appointments, and he gets 3 weeks (an ever increasing number) of paid leave for vacation. When my mother and his mother died, nobody questioned how much time he took off work. His boss shows genuine concern and interest in his life when appropriate. He doesn't get yelled at for being 10 minutes late for work or leaving 10 minutes early ever. As long as his work gets done nobody cares. He gets 3 weeks paid paternity leave! If I worked for them, I'd get more than that for maternity leave. Here in the states you are hard pressed to get 2 weeks. The people he works for are extremely laid back and recognize that you work to live, not the other way around. Sure they want to make money and thrive as a company, and they are, hand over fist, but they don't seem to want to screw their employees in the process. They manage to do all of this without making anyone be a corporate schmuck and say things like "challenge" instead of "problem". In my experience, very many companies in the US are not this way.
Living near the border for half my life, including playing sports in HS against Canadian teams (Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec), they just don't seem all that different to me. Except Toronto drivers are on par with Boston for being some of the worst, but that is probably just because one tends to remember the plates of crappy drivers more than ones who don't piss you off. Sweeping generalizations are what they are: I could say I've had X number of bad experiences with people from New Jersey here are some examples, all people in NJ are like that. It would be fallacious because the specific does not correlate to the general.

I can actually name Canadian companies that treat their employees like crap but it doesn't prove anything. Corporate culture is highly variable across all workplaces, even in the same company. You really aren't naming unique perks though [jeans, are never ok in an office imo though, but on a construction site, no one gives a shit]. The US Army gives you 30 days paid vacation per year at entry level positions. :lol: The hurry up and wait bullshit is always present at companies who sell things, or sales positions. The people who like it eat that shit up. Manufacturers of tangible stuff or research projects, where progress is measured by completion not "you dont look busy," tend to be more lax when it comes to scheduling.

Doesn't sound like it is that cold in many places in Canada too though. I get what cold feels like which is, as I already stated, why I wouldn't be willing to move to Canada. The reasons I would want to live in Canada is because of how nice the people are and how awesome working for them is. IBWIP works for a Canadian firm right now and his quality of life is way better because of it. It's not like he and I have never worked for American companies before to have some way of comparing. Just the whole philosophy seems to be different. Here's some examples. He wears jeans and t-shirts to work every day. If he has something else going on that needs attending to, he can work from home as long as he gets his job done. He has never had to keep track of time taken off for illness, or because he had to take care of his grandfather, or go to the doctors with me. Nobody has even questioned it and they didn't hit up his paid leave over it. Vacation time is for holidays in the eyes of this company, not doctors appointments, and he gets 3 weeks (an ever increasing number) of paid leave for vacation. When my mother and his mother died, nobody questioned how much time he took off work. His boss shows genuine concern and interest in his life when appropriate. He doesn't get yelled at for being 10 minutes late for work or leaving 10 minutes early ever. As long as his work gets done nobody cares. He gets 3 weeks paid paternity leave! If I worked for them, I'd get more than that for maternity leave. Here in the states you are hard pressed to get 2 weeks. The people he works for are extremely laid back and recognize that you work to live, not the other way around. Sure they want to make money and thrive as a company, and they are, hand over fist, but they don't seem to want to screw their employees in the process. They manage to do all of this without making anyone be a corporate schmuck and say things like "challenge" instead of "problem". In my experience, very many companies in the US are not this way.
I think you'd be surprised, many large US based companies are, in fact, that way.

(Not retail ones, though.)

I have a huge golf umbrella and a goretex shell if that alone doesn't cut it. it's also never anywhere near 100f at 9am or 6pm nor is it ever -10 here

Those are still occasions where they aren't better than commuting. Just because they don't happen in Atlanta, doesn't change that fact.

two schools of thought:

everyplace sucks except where you live
or
everyplace is awesome compared to where you live

get over it.

Don't get me wrong, I love where I live. My town is awesome. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, especially not Ohio. I just want to live around people who are more caring about other people. Also, I think jeans are just fine in a workplace. I've never met anyone who didn't perform the duties of their job as well because they were wearing jeans.

Don't get me wrong, I love where I live. My town is awesome. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, especially not Ohio. I just want to live around people who are more caring about other people. Also, I think jeans are just fine in a workplace. I've never met anyone who didn't perform the duties of their job as well because they were wearing jeans.

it's all about perception. if you aren't willing to take the job seriously enough to dress nice, why should i take you seriously? if normal dress is business casual though, then it's fine to wear a jeans every now and then. i do whenever i'm visiting a job site, as do all of my coworkers, its accepted and normal. if normal dress is suit & tie, it's never ok to wear jeans unless it's like, wear jeans friday or something.

it's all about perception. if you aren't willing to take the job seriously enough to dress nice, why should i take you seriously? if normal dress is business casual though, then it's fine to wear a jeans every now and then. i do whenever i'm visiting a job site, as do all of my coworkers, its accepted and normal. if normal dress is suit & tie, it's never ok to wear jeans unless it's like, wear jeans friday or something.

Everyone in his office wears jeans most of the time. The only time things are different is when they have to meet a client or something, but IBWIP never does, that's just not part of his job. It's just okay there. I was kinda addressing the person who said in their opinion it's never okay to wear jeans to work. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure what wearing more expensive pants that need to be ironed has to do with taking your job seriously, but that's just me. I've worked in places with a dress code and places without and it always seemed like the same amount of work got done and people worthy of respect weren't always the snazziest dressers. I can understand that people still judge based on appearance and there are times when it is necessary to present yourself in the best light possible, but a day at the office sitting in the chilly server room making computers go doesn't seem like that kind of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.