Flytrap #2 - Possible NSFW Content and WAW fail , Whiskey Bacon and tamale hootch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have to sound a little curt. You have no clue about rescue/shelter dogs. Your opinion is based on what society thinks and it just simply isn't true. It drives me crazy that people think that it they get a shelter dog that its going to kill their child. That's ignorant.

It's extremely ignorant for you to think you know exactly what any given shelter dog is like. You don't have any idea what their history is like. Does the dog have a spot on it where it doesn't like to be touched? Did they discover that spot at the shelter? Am I going to find that spot? Is my son going to find that spot? What will the dog do when that spot is touched? What other things send the dog crazy? All these things we just do not know.

It's extremely ignorant for you to think you know exactly what any given shelter dog is like. You don't have any idea what their history is like. Does the dog have a spot on it where it doesn't like to be touched? Did they discover that spot at the shelter? Am I going to find that spot? Is my son going to find that spot? What will the dog do when that spot is touched? What other things send the dog crazy? All these things we just do not know.

You're playing the what if game and that isn't a valid argument. Chances of that happening are low.

Also, when dealing with kids, you don't want to find out if they can become violent before they can be trained regardless. And it's no fun to keep your child away from a dog until you know its safe.

One of our dogs was a rescue dog. She was pretty abused before she came to us. She was painfully shy at first but now you can tell how appreciative she is to be with us. She's still very timid around other people and acts like she's afraid of being abandoned a lot. She's sweet but has the scariest smile I've ever seen. It's really funny. It looks more like a snarl/grimace.

You're playing the what if game and that isn't a valid argument. Chances of that happening are low.

You have know idea what the chances of that happening are, Ape. I'm not going to brush aside all of this because it's just a bunch of what if's and put my child in harms way. By far the best way to have a dog get used to a young child is have them grow up together.

Also, when dealing with kids, you don't want to find out if they can become violent before they can be trained regardless. And it's no fun to keep your child away from a dog until you know its safe.

...and that's why there are rescue groups. The two dog (one cat) rescue groups I volunteer for has volunteers that Foster the animal for sometimes several months so there really aren't any surprises when the new owner adopts. The animal is fixed, caught up on shots, medically healthy, and behavior has been studied and retrained if necessary.

Not all rescues do this, but the serious/valid ones do. It just makes me sad people will bypass this awesome option for a puppy at a breeder. Buying from a breeder robs a dog at a shelter from ever finding a home.

...and that's why there are rescue groups. The two dog (one cat) rescue groups I volunteer for has volunteers that Foster the animal for sometimes several months so there really aren't any surprises when the new owner adopts. The animal is fixed, caught up on shots, medically healthy, and behavior has been studied and retrained if necessary.

Not all rescues do this, but the serious/valid ones do. It just makes me sad people will bypass this awesome option for a puppy at a breeder. Buying from a breeder robs a dog at a shelter from ever finding a home.

Ah I wasn't aware of this.

One of our cats came from a rescue.

You have know idea what the chances of that happening are, Ape. I'm not going to brush aside all of this because it's just a bunch of what if's and put my child in harms way. By far the best way to have a dog get used to a young child is have them grow up together.

That last line is absolutely false.

They are putting them down because no one will spend the time to rehabiliatate the animal. The animal is only like that because of the horrible human that owned it.

right, because all animals are inherently perfect and nice, it's only when humans get involved that they turn vicious. it's not like they have the same wide range of personality quirks and temperaments as other social creatures

sometimes a dog is going to be violent no matter what and there's no changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.