Flytrap #2 - Possible NSFW Content and WAW fail , Whiskey Bacon and tamale hootch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home Depot was all out of axes, so I bought a small electric chain saw, just finished cutting up the wood already.

Home Depot was all out of axes, so I bought a small electric chain saw, just finished cutting up the wood already.

home depot axes are soft (forget the brand now... collins or ames or something), mine ended up beat to hell... couldn't grind a decent edge back on it. much better off buying one from sears with a craftsman label, they'll even replace the handle if it breaks. there isn't much of a cost difference either.

home depot sells estwing stuff too which is quality, but more for camping and typically high dollar.

home depot axes are soft (forget the brand now... collins or ames or something), mine ended up beat to hell... couldn't grind a decent edge back on it. much better off buying one from sears with a craftsman label, they'll even replace the handle if it breaks. there isn't much of a cost difference either.

home depot sells estwing stuff too which is quality, but more for camping and typically high dollar.

I got Ludell (?) stuff at Job Lot, seems to have held it's splitting edge pretty well through two cords and a few errant rocks :eek:

I'll probably go with a craftsman one later as Juli champions that brand consistently.

I now figure I'm going to need a gas chainsaw so I can cut up the two huge branches that have fallen in the yard. Probably look for something off craigslist later on.

You install it yourself? :eek:

Nah, I sat this one out, it was more cost-effective to have someone else do it this time.

Plus the plumbers in this area seem to be decent.

It's a pretty straightforward install though, I think the biggest challenge for DIY'ing it would be the look on the gas company rep's face when you tell them you installed it yourself and want a hookup.

I can highly recommend renting a gas one. I had a tree in the backyard that I wanted gone. I've got an electric, but rented the gas one & used the shit out of it for 8hrs for $45 bucks. I probably got a full $200 in use out of it. Easy. The only time it wasn't running was when I was drinking water. For 8 hours it was my personal light saber.

Yeah if I was doing commercial loggin maybe. Bit for around the home that's just to expensive and overkill.

Not really, if you plan on keeping it forever.

Although, Stihl (And Husqvarna) now sell "consumer grade" saws that are cheaply made and not as easy/viable to rebuild as a "pro" saw, so you need to be careful.

The Stihl "pro" saws started close to $500 in the 50cc range (Medium sized, enough to cut up huge stuff once in a while), the Husky 346xp was about $100 less, but I ended up with a last years model Dolmar pro saw in the same size for a bit less than that.

I can highly recommend renting a gas one. I had a tree in the backyard that I wanted gone. I've got an electric, but rented the gas one & used the shit out of it for 8hrs for $45 bucks. I probably got a full $200 in use out of it. Easy. The only time it wasn't running was when I was drinking water. For 8 hours it was my personal light saber.

Yeah, good call.. I'll probably go that route..

Not really, if you plan on keeping it forever.

Although, Stihl (And Husqvarna) now sell "consumer grade" saws that are cheaply made and not as easy/viable to rebuild as a "pro" saw, so you need to be careful.

The Stihl "pro" saws started close to $500 in the 50cc range (Medium sized, enough to cut up huge stuff once in a while), the Husky 346xp was about $100 less, but I ended up with a last years model Dolmar pro saw in the same size for a bit less than that.

More than $200 is out of the question for me..

I oil to buy now! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.