Flytrap #2 - Possible NSFW Content and WAW fail , Whiskey Bacon and tamale hootch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, you don't really know much about American television compared to an American person. I've been watching it longer than you've been alive.

Except as has already been pointed out by myself and DJBrenton the show is a carbon copy of the English version ergo and I watch a lot of British and American TV. Reflecting on it I'm very pleased indeed with how unamericanised the show is. :) There's little point in arguing with you cos I have to go home and I know you're stubborn as a mule. In a few years time though if I remember I'll ask how he's getting on.

Jamie's School Dinners (2005) was a four-part documentary series. Oliver took responsibility for running the kitchen meals in Kidbrooke School, Greenwich, for a year. Disgusted by the unhealthy food being served to schoolchildren and the lack of healthy alternatives on offer, Oliver began a campaign to improve the standard of Britain’s school meals. Public awareness was raised, and, subsequent to Oliver's efforts, the British Government pledged to spend £280m on school dinners (spread over three years). Tony Blair acknowledged that this was a result of Oliver's campaign. Following the success of the campaign, Oliver was named "Most Inspiring Political Figure of 2005" in the Channel 4 Political Awards 2006. During the school dinners programme, Oliver's "Fifteen" London was visited by former US President Bill Clinton. Clinton asked to see Oliver; however, Oliver refused, as Clinton's party had asked for other diners to be removed to make room for their larger-than-agreed-upon group. In episode 2 of Jamie's School Dinners, Clinton's party had 36 show up for a booking of 20 and many of them were on a South Beach Diet and did not want the special menu that had been prepared, even though the menu had been approved in advance

Let me put it this way so hopefully you understand. Schools are all about managing money. If not a single kid drank white milk, why would it still be on the menu? They're throwing away money at that point if no one picked it.

Oh you're going to attend school with him to reinforce this are you? Didn't think so.

Do you know why kids eat nothing but chicken nuggets? Look to the same show you're referencing. It's because that's what they're getting at home as well.

If you teach your kid to love other options (he loves turkey sandwiches as well), if that option is there, they will actually go for that option.

I don't believe that to be true. Cynical as I am about the media Jamie Oliver is not a dramatic celebrity nor is he a shock jock.

But he wasn't the producer/director of the show, either. An American company was. And they wanted shock value so people watched the show to get some commercial advert revenue.

If Jamie was REALLY all about the health and wellbeing of children as much as he says he is, I think he's going about it the wrong way. I would have a much better time believing him if he didn't align with organizations like ABC and/or BBC when producing the shows but instead went indie with an online series.

If Jamie was REALLY all about the health and wellbeing of children as much as he says he is, I think he's going about it the wrong way. I would have a much better time believing him if he didn't align with organizations like ABC and/or BBC when producing the shows but instead went indie with an online series.

But that wouldn't reach the same amount of people thus negating the ratings.

However, if he really did care, he'd do it for free. ;)

But he wasn't the producer/director of the show, either. An American company was. And they wanted shock value so people watched the show to get some commercial advert revenue.

Did you read the bit where the British Government was shamed into putting an extra £280 million into school dinners by his programmes? Whilst I despise his mock cockney accent, I have to admit he works tirelessly for good food causes. His Fifteen charity, in particular, is well thought out.

Did you read the bit where the British Government was shamed into putting an extra £280 million into school dinners by his programmes? Whilst I despise his mock cockney accent, I have to admit he works tirelessly for good food causes. His Fifteen charity, in particular, is well thought out.

And that worked really well, for sure. Unfortunately nothing has happened in the US since Jamie's show aired a1.5 years ago. Even Mrs. Obama's efforts are met with militant resistance. There is no way the US would cut a check for the billions it would need to recreate the efforts Jaime got in the UK.

While we're at it. Let's get some empirical proof of this. Harold, does your son complain that he doesn't get to eat the shit served in your schools?

You mean does he complain he doesn't get to eat school-type food at home?

I know I did when I was younger. The school food was much more tasty to me than the shit I ate at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.