flying high

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i've got a friend who's going to india on sunday. she's taking her three-year-old on a 17-hour flight. i honestly don't think i could survive a flight that long, especially being the sole caretaker of a young child. my longest flight has been five hours.

what's the longest flight you've ever done? where did you go? what the hell did you do for that long? it's impossible for me to sleep on a plane, so i don't know what i'd do, cramped up for that long. how do you do it??

the longest flight(s) i have been on were to nevada and i did what i always do, drank, did a crossword puzzle or six, listened to music and tried to avoid human contact.

i think the flight to cancun was shorter than nevada. could be wrong.

the flight to florida this last time, i gave up on the music for a bit and got the mom sitting next to me tipsy at 9am on bloody marys. muahaha and i laughed as she tried to do a soduku puzzle after the drinks.

thrawn said:
the longest flight(s) i have been on were to nevada and i did what i always do, drank, did a crossword puzzle or six, listened to music and tried to avoid human contact.

i think the flight to cancun was shorter than nevada. could be wrong.

the flight to florida this last time, i gave up on the music for a bit and got the mom sitting next to me tipsy at 9am on bloody marys. muahaha and i laughed as she tried to do a soduku puzzle after the drinks.

Pimp Thrawn... pimp. Again.

Longest flight I've ever done is 28 hours. Well, 23 hours with 5 hours of shit in between. 8 hours to London plus a relativetly short wait, 2 hours to Frankfurt plus a bit of a lounge in the Admirals Club, then 13 hours to Kazakhstan. Worth every minute of it, too. Okay so it's not a "flight" per se, but it's the same trip with being awake for 37 straight hours. At the end of a bender like that you don't care if it's the same continuous flight or not anyway.

Total flying in one trip or total nonstop?

Non-stop would be 9 hours Chicago --> Manchester, UK. Total one trip would be 17 hours NY --> Chicago --> Boston --> Birmingham, UK.

F33nX said:
i've gone from providence-> hawaii and back, which was about a 24 hour return trip with time zone changes.

Right, I think it is a 19-20 hour return flight with time zone changes. Honolulu -> ATL, then ATL -> SAV i think about 8 to get there gaining time.

I have trouble sitting still that long.

Thorn Bird said:
i've got a friend who's going to india on sunday. she's taking her three-year-old on a 17-hour flight. i honestly don't think i could survive a flight that long, especially being the sole caretaker of a young child. my longest flight has been five hours.
I hope she is doping that child, otherwise thats just inconsiderate and selfish.

fly said:
I hope she is doping that child, otherwise thats just inconsiderate and selfish.

she really doesn't have a choice in the matter. i don't think it's selfish or inconsiderate at all. she's indian, her family lives in india, and they haven't seen the child since she was seven months.
i'm bringing her a bunch of individually wrapped toys and such today so she can have little gifts to open and play with during the flight, to use as needed. she's also going to be sleeping a bit, watching movies, and playing computer games. i think she'll be fine.

ERage said:
Right, I think it is a 19-20 hour return flight with time zone changes. Honolulu -> ATL, then ATL -> SAV i think about 8 to get there gaining time.

I have trouble sitting still that long.
luckily the planes that make that flight are big enough that you really can and SHOULD get up and walk around (for health reasons, there's a risk of thrombosis, ie clotting in the legs and extremeties for sitting that long). i remember on my way over i spent a lot of time playing cards up in the front lounge of the cabin, and on the way back the flight was empty enough that i could stretch out and lay down for a big part of it.

Thorn Bird said:
she really doesn't have a choice in the matter. i don't think it's selfish or inconsiderate at all. she's indian, her family lives in india, and they haven't seen the child since she was seven months.
i'm bringing her a bunch of individually wrapped toys and such today so she can have little gifts to open and play with during the flight, to use as needed. she's also going to be sleeping a bit, watching movies, and playing computer games. i think she'll be fine.
benedryl - other than that, its completely inconsiderate, not to mention cruel to the child.

/childless passenger rage

9ish hours to Florence. I was with a group of 14 people so we had a blast on the plane. We played cards, annoyed the other passengers, did crossword puzzles and played musical chairs, which also annoyed the other passengers. It was good times. Sometimes getting there is half the fun.

fly said:
benedryl - other than that, its completely inconsiderate, not to mention cruel to the child.

Even more inconsiderate to the people that have to sit on a 12 hour flight with the kid.

OMFG SHUT YOUR STUPID KID UP!

:fly:

fly said:

now, fly, i love you and all, but i think you are the one being selfish for asking this. you're asking to unnecessarily medicate a child so you're more comfortable. you don't think that's selfish?
if the child is out of hand and screaming and crying and all that, sure. but if the child gets a little loud or a little giggly, it's a child. you might even have to put up with the noises of the toys, which keep the child entertained. and keep in mind that the mother's equally, if not more, frustrated, i can sure tell you that.
there are times in life where it's just going to suck, it's not going to go your way, and you're just going to have to put on your big girl panties and deal. it's what happens when you live in a world with a gabajillion other people.
now i've said my piece. let me nibble on your ears until you forget i was arguing with you.