:fly46:

Pandora said:
Family sshmamily. If one of my little ones died I'd need a day or so off. Crying at work is teh suck. :(
aw jeez man, when mine die I'm going to take like a week off... ugh, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it :(

Thorn Bird said:
ok, so can't someone care about their kids the same way you all care about your animals?
:heart: of course, I think any implication otherwise was meant in a strictly humorous way

zengirl said:
:heart: of course, I think any implication otherwise was meant in a strictly humorous way

:) i know it should seem that way, but i think many of the remarks made here are more truthful than strictly humorous. if the people who do love being parents and are good at it would make as many comments around here about childless people choosing to remain childless, they'd be slaughtered, even if the constant remarks were "only jokes." i'm not going menstrual or anything, but i do get a bit offended every time parents as a whole are lumped together and labeled stupid, lazy, and selfish.

ok. maybe it could be pms, but still.

Thorn Bird said:
:) i know it should seem that way, but i think many of the remarks made here are more truthful than strictly humorous. if the people who do love being parents and are good at it would make as many comments around here about childless people choosing to remain childless, they'd be slaughtered, even if the constant remarks were "only jokes." i'm not going menstrual or anything, but i do get a bit offended every time parents as a whole are lumped together and labeled stupid, lazy, and selfish.

WE ALL KNOW YOURE A GOOD MOMMY

edit - :heart:

Thorn Bird said:

ironically, pms could be deemed as the most suitable excuse yet... as it means you're not pregnant...

that was terrible, I know... it's my retarded way of trying to make light of a situation that could otherwise turn volitile.

Don't hit me mommy, please, I'm a good girl

:heart:

zengirl said:
ironically, pms could be deemed as the most suitable excuse yet... as it means you're not pregnant...

that was terrible, I know... it's my retarded way of trying to make light of a situation that could otherwise turn volitile.

Don't hit me mommy, please, I'm a good girl

:heart:

:heart: i'm really not angry, here!! :lol: i'm just finally standing up for lil' ol' me, and kiwi, too, i'm sure. i just wanted people to try and read things from the opposite perspective. i think a lot of people would be pissed if they the tables were turned, and the parents were contstantly going on and on about the selfish lives of the non-parents.
i completely respect and admire the people who choose not to have kids. i just wish the same respect was returned to the ones who choose TO have kids.
i completely understand that there are a lot of people out there who don't make good parents, and who do abuse parents' responsibilities, and who do make it harder for those who don't have kids. they would anger me, too. but it's not wrong to choose to have children, and it's not selfish to, either. and with kids come responsibilities that parents cannot get out of...appointments, recitals, sickness, conferences, games. parents should try as hard as they can not to let parental stuff and work stuff cross, but it's gonna happen. it might not be fair, the same way that smokers might get more breaks than non-smokers, but everything in life just can't be fair. it really can't. and if a parent is doing the best job he or she can to make the necessary money for a family and to have a healthy, thriving, happy family, too, i just don't see how they deserve to be criticized.

and i am in no way pregnant right now. it's got to be pms. :D

Thorn Bird said:
:heart: i'm really not angry, here!! :lol: i'm just finally standing up for lil' ol' me, and kiwi, too, i'm sure. i just wanted people to try and read things from the opposite perspective. i think a lot of people would be pissed if they the tables were turned, and the parents were contstantly going on and on about the selfish lives of the non-parents.
i completely respect and admire the people who choose not to have kids. i just wish the same respect was returned to the ones who choose TO have kids.
i completely understand that there are a lot of people out there who don't make good parents, and who do abuse parents' responsibilities, and who do make it harder for those who don't have kids. they would anger me, too. but it's not wrong to choose to have children, and it's not selfish to, either. and with kids come responsibilities that parents cannot get out of...appointments, recitals, sickness, conferences, games. parents should try as hard as they can not to let parental stuff and work stuff cross, but it's gonna happen. it might not be fair, the same way that smokers might get more breaks than non-smokers, but everything in life just can't be fair. it really can't. and if a parent is doing the best job he or she can to make the necessary money for a family and to have a healthy, thriving, happy family, too, i just don't see how they deserve to be criticized.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thorn Bird said:

None of my comments are ment to single out any parents, (other than the one I was fussing about from work). Never lump yourself in with any sweeping comment anyone ever makes. People piss and moan about women all the time and I never take personal offense to it, even when they do apply to me. Besides, just because there is an element of truth to something doesn't mean it always applys 100% of the time. So quit PMSing, it just reinforces the negative stereotypes people have of PMSing women. Then people will start talking smack about that too. ;)

Pandora said:
None of my comments are ment to single out any parents, (other than the one I was fussing about from work). Never lump yourself in with any sweeping comment anyone ever makes. People piss and moan about women all the time and I never take personal offense to it, even when they do apply to me. Besides, just because there is an element of truth to something doesn't mean it always applys 100% of the time. So quit PMSing, it just reinforces the negative stereotypes people have of PMSing women. Then people will start talking smack about that too. ;)

i did not think that YOU were personally attacking ME. this work thing doesn't even apply to me, because, as fly put it, i never get out of my pj's. (women: i don't ever wear a bra or makeup, either.:fly:) but it does seem like all i hear about is smack about parents, and it wears on me sometimes. i am one.
this is why i don't get into it all the time. today i decided to.

:fly: the funny thing is, no one ever knows if i'm pmsing or not. i'm not a raging, hormonal bitch, with pms or pregnancy. i wish i were though. next pregnancy i'm going to pretend to be so spange will have to go out in the middle of the night for my craving of the week. i could get away with so much more if i were a bitchy woman. sigh.

Thorn Bird said:

:lol: I also don't believe smokers should be allowed "smoke breaks". However if employers let everyone take 10 min breaks throughout the day then that's fine. I just think making special exceptions are bullshit, and basicly equates to favoritism. Men were once paid more than women 'because they had families to support.' Everyone has commitments and responsibilities outside of work. Equal pay for equal work. And I'm not going to pussyfoot around a subject just because someone might get offended by something I say. If that were the case the we should all stop posting, because I'm sure somewhere someone would get offended by everything that gets posted here. But you have just as much right to speak your peace as I do. But as I said before, don't group yourself in with sweeping statments. There are exceptions to everything. I don't point that out in every post because I just always assume others understand that as well. :eek:

Thorn Bird said:
:fly: the funny thing is, no one ever knows if i'm pmsing or not. i'm not a raging, hormonal bitch, with pms or pregnancy. i wish i were though. next pregnancy i'm going to pretend to be so spange will have to go out in the middle of the night for my craving of the week. i could get away with so much more if i were a bitchy woman. sigh.

you know it wouldn't happen. being already at the grocery store and buying a big jar of pickles is totally different that needing a candy bar and a steak at 3am.

Pandora said:
:lol: I also don't believe smokers should be allowed "smoke breaks". However if employers let everyone take 10 min breaks throughout the day then that's fine. I just think making special exceptions are bullshit, and basicly equates to favoritism. Men were once paid more than women 'because they had families to support.' Everyone has commitments and responsibilities outside of work. Equal pay for equal work. And I'm not going to pussyfoot around a subject just because someone might get offended by something I say. If that were the case the we should all stop posting, because I'm sure somewhere someone would get offended by everything that gets posted here. But you have just as much right to speak your peace as I do. But as I said before, don't group yourself in with sweeping statments. There are exceptions to everything. I don't point that out in every post because I just always assume others understand that as well. :eek:

no one's asking/telling you to pussyfoot around a subject. i certainly wouldn't expect ANYONE on here to do anything of the sort. but that includes me, too. i do have right to speak my piece. and my piece was that i do feel offended sometimes by the sweeping statments, regardless if they were intended to be offensive or not.
i agree with you on the equal pay for equal work. i've always assumed that every time you were speaking of parents taking off early, they weren't getting equal treatment. meaning their pay would be less than someone working 40 hours. if there's a meeting every wednesday that jane-next-cubicle needs to get off early to go to, i would assume that her pay would reflect that. if her child gets sick out of the blue, she's gonna have to go, regardless of how fair it might be, the same way that you or i would have to leave or call in if we were sick. i would assume that everyone gets a special exception here or there. it might not be for a parent conference, but it'll be for something else. there are several things in the workforce...hell, life...that aren't fair, that aren't equal. i think it's tough shit for everyone somewhere along the line. and i really don't think that favoritism applies to parents in most situations. i find it hard to believe that parents who are constantly leaving for kid-related things aren't getting docked somewhere -- pay, vacation, bonus, personal days, etc.

Thorn Bird said:
i find it hard to believe that parents who are constantly leaving for kid-related things aren't getting docked somewhere -- pay, vacation, bonus, personal days, etc.

You would be suprised.... Seems I remember hearing some VIP making a statement not too long ago about how women shouldn't be in high powered positions n'stuff because they miss alot more work than men, specificly because of their family responsibilities. I think the womens rights groups had him burned at the stake or something. However I think he had a very good point.

OMG I'm sooooo getting my girl card revoked now. :omy: