NSFW Fly, I've figured out how you can (but never will) move to Colorado

also, i looked at getting one of those instant hot water heaters for my house... those things draw 180 amps. Thats f*ckin nuts. I literally didnt have enough room on my panel for it.

I guess for a thing like this though you would probably have a gas one.

You can get ones that draw 80-100 amps. You don't need a tankless water heater that would be suitable for living at the North Pole, do you?

By instant do you mean tankless? I thought the instant was a device right next to the tap?

Yeah, I mean tankless. An instant is the same thing, just smaller and located closer to the taps.

It does take a little while to get hot water to the furthest faucet in the house, not something worth complaining about when it's used the least often compared to the others.

And it's unlimited :drool:

Yeah, I mean tankless. An instant is the same thing, just smaller and located closer to the taps.

It does take a little while to get hot water to the furthest faucet in the house, not something worth complaining about when it's used the least often compared to the others.

How are you offsetting the green-ness of this tankless?

And you never run out of hot water.

I ran the numbers a while ago for an electric tankless water heater, when I changed out my old water heater. I would have needed a new electrical panel, 120A breaker, about 40 feet of heavy copper wire, etc - would have cost several grand to do in the end, I'd never recoup that money.

So I went with a plain 'ol 50 gallon electric hot water heater. Cost me $300 CAD for the heater, spare pair of anodes, water heater blanket and electrical/plumbing fittings to hook the thing up.

Idle loss on my tank without a water heater blanket is 60 watts, or about 73 bucks/year at 12c/kwh. Probably closer to 20 watts with the blanket on it. Might break even if I run a tankless for 100 years..

Last edited:
I ran the numbers a while ago for an electric tankless water heater, when I changed out my old water heater. I would have needed a new electrical panel, 120A breaker, about 40 feet of heavy copper wire, etc - would have cost several grand to do in the end, I'd never recoup that money.

So I went with a plain 'ol 50 gallon electric hot water heater. Cost me $300 CAD for the heater, spare pair of anodes, water heater blanket and electrical/plumbing fittings to hook the thing up.

Idle loss on my tank without a water heater blanket is 60 watts, or about 73 bucks/year at 12c/kwh. Probably closer to 20 watts with the blanket on it. Might break even if I run a tankless for 100 years..

That's why you need gas. Especially with the gas boom...