NSFW Fly, I've figured out how you can (but never will) move to Colorado

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
also, i looked at getting one of those instant hot water heaters for my house... those things draw 180 amps. Thats f*ckin nuts. I literally didnt have enough room on my panel for it.

I guess for a thing like this though you would probably have a gas one.

You can get ones that draw 80-100 amps. You don't need a tankless water heater that would be suitable for living at the North Pole, do you?

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
You can get ones that draw 80-100 amps. You don't need a tankless water heater that would be suitable for living at the North Pole, do you?

80-100 still exceeds my entire remaining panel.

Syrup Beaver

pants log
Sep 30, 2004
beneath the soiled underbelly of the 'nev
Visit site
By instant do you mean tankless? I thought the instant was a device right next to the tap?

Yeah, I mean tankless. An instant is the same thing, just smaller and located closer to the taps.

It does take a little while to get hot water to the furthest faucet in the house, not something worth complaining about when it's used the least often compared to the others.

And it's unlimited :drool:

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
Steam
mattressfish
Yeah, I mean tankless. An instant is the same thing, just smaller and located closer to the taps.

It does take a little while to get hot water to the furthest faucet in the house, not something worth complaining about when it's used the least often compared to the others.

How are you offsetting the green-ness of this tankless?

Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH

And you never run out of hot water.

gee

Blame It On The Gassa Nova
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
I ran the numbers a while ago for an electric tankless water heater, when I changed out my old water heater. I would have needed a new electrical panel, 120A breaker, about 40 feet of heavy copper wire, etc - would have cost several grand to do in the end, I'd never recoup that money.

So I went with a plain 'ol 50 gallon electric hot water heater. Cost me $300 CAD for the heater, spare pair of anodes, water heater blanket and electrical/plumbing fittings to hook the thing up.

Idle loss on my tank without a water heater blanket is 60 watts, or about 73 bucks/year at 12c/kwh. Probably closer to 20 watts with the blanket on it. Might break even if I run a tankless for 100 years..

Last edited:

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
Steam
mattressfish
I ran the numbers a while ago for an electric tankless water heater, when I changed out my old water heater. I would have needed a new electrical panel, 120A breaker, about 40 feet of heavy copper wire, etc - would have cost several grand to do in the end, I'd never recoup that money.

So I went with a plain 'ol 50 gallon electric hot water heater. Cost me $300 CAD for the heater, spare pair of anodes, water heater blanket and electrical/plumbing fittings to hook the thing up.

Idle loss on my tank without a water heater blanket is 60 watts, or about 73 bucks/year at 12c/kwh. Probably closer to 20 watts with the blanket on it. Might break even if I run a tankless for 100 years..

That's why you need gas. Especially with the gas boom...

gee

Blame It On The Gassa Nova
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
That's why you need gas. Especially with the gas boom...
No gas where I am, in rural/seaside NS. Wish there was, but in my area they'd have to blast to bury the lines.