Thread Florida pastor still plans his 'burn-a-Quran' protest on 9/11

Atan Nolme

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Karningul,Eriador, Endor
Marklar
₥431
The pastor of a Florida church says he takes very seriously Gen. David Petraeus' warning that his church's burn-a-Quran day on 9/11 could endanger U.S. troops and that his congregation is praying about it, but he still plans to go through with the protest.

"We are definitely weighing the situation," Terry Jones, pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Fla., tells CNN today. "We are weighing the thing we are about to do, what it possibily could cause, what is our actual message, what we are trying to get across. How important is that now."

Florida pastor still plans his 'burn-a-Quran' protest on 9/11 despite warnings by Petraeus

What is wrong with us? It’s just like the Ground Zero mosque plan. Does this church have the right? Yes. Should they? No. And not because of the potential backlash or violence. Simply because it is wrong. The more I reflect on what happened on 8/28 the more I realize the amazing power of GOOD.

We must be the better person. We must be bigger than our problems. Bigger than the times in which we live. Burning the Koran is like burning the flag or the Bible. You can do it, but whose heart will you change by doing it? You will only harden the hearts of those who could be moved. None of those who are thinking about killing us will be affected, but our good Muslim friends and neighbors will be saddened. It makes the battle that they face inside their own communities even harder.

Let us rise above the current levels and elevate ourselves and our country. The only thing this act would prove is that you CAN burn a Koran. I didn’t know America was in doubt on that fact. Let’s prove to each other that while there are many things we can do, there are maybe many more things that we choose not to do. - Glenn Beck

Hey fly, can we get a Crazy or Stupid thread prefix?

I like how the general in Afghanistan thinks this is a very bad idea, too.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/07/florida.quran.burning/index.html

They should be allowed to burn them, but with that right comes responsibilities. That minister must realize that this will hurt the feelings of those that follow the Quran and if he feels in his conscious that is ok, then he certainly does not practice what he preaches.

We will all have strong opinions, but he will always have his rights.

He better not fuck it up for the troops over there or he may suffer social reprocussions. :run:

Only reason this douche is doing this is for the attention. Sure, it's his right, but does it make it right? In the end, won't make any positive changes, and will just bring about more negative.

I guess some assholes just want to see the world burn.

With power comes responsibility. Most people pushing the limits of their freedoms of speech eshew responsibility claiming that the freedom of speech makes them blameless for repercussions.

Its not perfect, but its better than the alternative of censoring things (unless its the internet. in Australia.)

:lol:

I'm all for the ability of people being able to burn any material possessions, but I'm not for people purposely provoking those who we are trying to protect ourselves from.

Yup, the insurgents were totally going to calm down and be cool before all of this happened.

Your sarcasm might actually be accurate. The Taliban are very experienced war fighters. They're not just running around in a fit of rage shooting at or blowing up everything. But they might start doing just that after this.

Your sarcasm might actually be accurate. The Taliban are very experienced war fighters. They're not just running around in a fit of rage shooting at or blowing up everything. But they might start doing just that after this.

Still, Americans (as usual) are being held to a higher standard than everyone else in the world. How often are people burning bibles and American flags whenever they're pissed off about something, but it's ok because they have the right to do it, but when it's an American doing the reverse it's suddenly a moral outrage.