Flooring ideas

I have found that hardwood isn't like it used to be. My mom has hardwood in her new condo and it's practically indestructible. I suppose it is something about the way that they finish it these days. It's also really easy to clean.

We have the most uncleanable linoleum kitchen floor ever made. Sure it will probably be around until the end times, but it looks like crap and cleaning it is a pain in the ass. I barely even bother anymore. I can't wait to get rid of it. I liked vinyl much better. We had that in our Ohio house.

FG, have you used http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ before? I've always been curious about the quality of their stuff because they have such good prices. I would kill for a brazilian rosewood floor. :drool:

FG, have you used http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ before? I've always been curious about the quality of their stuff because they have such good prices. I would kill for a brazilian rosewood floor. :drool:
I actually put a link for them in my first post in this thread. Yeah, couple wood floors in my house are from them. We didnt order online though, they have a store around here. The only thing I'd say is that you get EXACTLY what they advertise, not what the picture is. Like, if it says #2 Common, you get #2 common, it has cracks and some pieces are split, there are also knots etc. If you know what you're looking for they have some good deals.

Wood floors seems more durable now because of the new polyurethanes. We had waxed maple in my old house that always looked like crap until we re-finished it. Then even with 4 dogs it stayed looking good.

Last edited:
Umm, that's how much more the dupont stuff is compared to pergo, $1 a sqft more. The pego is $50 for 20 sqft
Dude, that's $2.50 a square foot. How much do you want to spend on flooring? Everything is going to cost about $2.00 minimum installed. o_O

Last edited:
Dude, that's $2.50 a square foot. How much do you want to spend on flooring? Everything is going to cost about $2.00 minimum installed. o_O

But that's the price of just the materials. That is not the price of it installed.

I can get fine Amish hardwood planks handmade for cheaper than that.

I have a funny linoleum story. I grew up in a very old house (100 years+). It had a yellow patterned linoleum floor in the kitchen. After we'd lived there for about ten years my parents were sick of the colour. They'd redone the kitchen (cathedral ceiling, new cabinets, wainscoting, paint, paper) and wanted to replace the floor. Dad pulled up a corner of the linoleum to see what was underneath. He found linoleum, in an identical pattern, only green instead of yellow. The green matched the new colour of the kitchen perfectly, and the stuff underneath was in much better shape. They pulled up the top layer and we had new floors.

the only thing that sucks about tile in the kitchen is everything dropped is broken...no chance for survival

the only thing that sucks about tile in the kitchen is everything dropped is broken...no chance for survival
wow. that reminds me. i had a dream last night that i was at a party at my former university residence. i kept dropping this huge glass (practically a vase) but it would bounce on the floor and not break. my drink spilled though. :(

But that's the price of just the materials. That is not the price of it installed.

I can get fine Amish hardwood planks handmade for cheaper than that.
Yeah, I said minimum. That would be your price for the nastiest stick on carpet possible. I have a friend who owns a wood floor installation company, T&G flooring goes down at about $5 sq ft just for the labor.

Shit drywall is $42 per sheet hung and sanded.

Damn can we merge this with the two Rent vs. Buying threads as argument NEVER BUY A FUCKING HOME?!?!??!

And it gets really cold when the weather is cold. Nothing like stepping on freezing floors first thing in the morning to wake you up.