Flight 93 memorial blocked.

KNYTE said:
I'm gonna come out and say something controversial here (cause that's what I do)...

I never really cared all that much about 9-11 in the first place.
I wanna play.

Why?

KNYTE said:
I'm gonna come out and say something controversial here (cause that's what I do)...

I remember watching the news coverage. It was pretty surreal to me and remained that way for a couple years. Never really hit me until I started speaking to people that actually live in New York or work(ed) at the Pentagon.

To date one of my biggest regrets is never having seen the Towers. Add to that the last three times I was in the NYC area I didn't consider visiting Ground Zero. I still don't understand why that makes me uncomfortable.

FlamingGlory said:
I wanna play.

Why?

Mostly because of the way people responded to it.

I was angered and upset that we were deliberately attacked by terrorists, but was more angered how it was used to further political agendas and bank accounts more than anything else.

9-11 was an interesting indicator of what some of the people who "run" our country value.

KNYTE said:
Mostly because of the way people responded to it.

I was angered and upset that we were deliberately attacked by terrorists, but was more angered how it was used to further political agendas and bank accounts more than anything else.

9-11 was an interesting indicator of what some of the people who "run" our country value.
Cant argue with that really. Damn you.

Was a good excuse to invade Afghanistan though! :cool:

FlamingGlory said:
Cant argue with that really. Damn you.

Was a good excuse to invade Afghanistan though! :cool:

*shrugs.

I'm still firmly in the "US should isolate themselves before it's too late" camp. Trade with who we need to, and stop funneling money to everyone else just because they ask.

Oh, we also need to curb stomp big oil if anything is ever going to change, but that's a seperate issue.

There is so much wrong with the USA right now mainly based on the people we have running our country. Whenever I talk to people abroad and ask them what they really think of us I never hear 1 good comment. To me that is sad to think we are so hated because of our shit government that "we" elected

I cant post in this thread anymore. For some reason I get 406 errors with my reply 0_o

Speaking of the whole 911 fiasco, I saw a special on Discovery about the FAA and the air controllers landing all the planes in the air after it all happened. Pretty freaking amazing what those guys did. Not one plane was in the air over US airspace. :eek:

And there were several other planes that had certain passengers leave very quickly after they landed...

FlyNavy said:
I remember watching the news coverage. It was pretty surreal to me and remained that way for a couple years. Never really hit me until I started speaking to people that actually live in New York or work(ed) at the Pentagon.

To date one of my biggest regrets is never having seen the Towers. Add to that the last three times I was in the NYC area I didn't consider visiting Ground Zero. I still don't understand why that makes me uncomfortable.
I visited the CA corporate headquarters for a sales presentation pretty much the week after it re-opened after 9/11 (It was maybe a street away and largely undamaged)

It was EXTREMELY gut-wrenching looking down into the pit from their conference room windows, the whole wall is glass with a great view of NYC. The sales guy told us they were in there working and felt/heard the first plane hit then watched in that bizarre slow motion effect the 2nd plane turn around and smash into the towers.

You could tell it was emotionally hard on all of those guys because if you work there, you know people in that building.

KNYTE said:

same here.

people die.
either it's the hindeberg or the titanic or freeking waco.

sometimes nature helps humans to clean house.

Huh, this has been an interesting thread. And a lot of really good points have been made.
I had no idea how different things are once you are actually inside the country. (I am in no way saying Canada is perfect or that I hate the US, because that is not the case). I was talking about this with my dad not too long ago. I am constantly amazed at how the gov shoves this stuff down American's throats. What I mean by that, is since I've lived here (6 months) I've seen numerous reports on whether Portland is "terrorist safe"... or "how should Portland cope if we were attacked" or "What downtown buildings would be safe, if Portland were ever under attack". These are all different news shows that I've seen or seen advertise since getting here.

Not to mention the weekly emergency broadcast that interupts Dr.Phil because they have to notify America what "state of emergency" they are in. Orange, green, purple, red, neutral- I don't understand it and I like it that way. That way I can't let the gov scare me half to death because they have the power too.

And this is what I am seeing, it feels like the gov hangs a ball of fear above the heads of Americans, and there are soooo many people out there who buy it.

9/11 was certainly a tragety and I remember feeling really horrible about it. I then visited NYC 6 months after the attacks and got to see the mess that the city was still in. Later returned to see the memorial once it was built and that's about it. I refuse to allow myself to continue mourning over it. I feel for the families, I really do- but sometimes I feel like America is not letting them mourn and move on. How could they when you've got movies coming out and memorials coming up- It's like every couple of months the wounds are being ripped open again...

Sorry for the rant-

And I don't even want to get started on the war... sheesh

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Huh, this has been an interesting thread. And a lot of really good points have been made.
I had no idea how different things are once you are actually inside the country. (I am in no way saying Canada is perfect or that I hate the US, because that is not the case). I was talking about this with my dad not too long ago. I am constantly amazed at how the gov shoves this stuff down American's throats. What I mean by that, is since I've lived here (6 months) I've seen numerous reports on whether Portland is "terrorist safe"... or "how should Portland cope if we were attacked" or "What downtown buildings would be safe, if Portland were ever under attack". These are all different news shows that I've seen or seen advertise since getting here.

Not to mention the weekly emergency broadcast that interupts Dr.Phil because they have to notify America what "state of emergency" they are in. Orange, green, purple, red, neutral- I don't understand it and I like it that way. That way I can't let the gov scare me half to death because they have the power too.

And this is what I am seeing, it feels like the gov hangs a ball of fear above the heads of Americans, and there are soooo many people out there who buy it.

9/11 was certainly a tragety and I remember feeling really horrible about it. I then visited NYC 6 months after the attacks and got to see the mess that the city was still in. Later returned to see the memorial once it was built and that's about it. I refuse to allow myself to continue mourning over it. I feel for the families, I really do- but sometimes I feel like America is not letting them mourn and move on. How could they when you've got movies coming out and memorials coming up- It's like every couple of months the wounds are being ripped open again...

Sorry for the rant-

And I don't even want to get started on the war... sheesh

a lot of that is hype by your local media...I can guarantee you portland isn't very high on any terrrrrists lists of places to mess with

Hey, Fuxx:

Welcome to the culture of fear. If you enjoy your stay you are doing something wrong. Now get your ass down to walmart and buy something, dammit. You want to be a good american, right?

why_ask_why said:
a lot of that is hype by your local media...I can guarantee you portland isn't very high on any terrrrrists lists of places to mess with
Oh I figured that one out on my own- What would they want with Portland? The hippies? We would willingly give them up.

itburnswhenipee said:
Hey, Fuxx:

Welcome to the culture of fear. If you enjoy your stay you are doing something wrong. Now get your ass down to walmart and buy something, dammit. You want to be a good american, right?
:lol:
I like Target better :p

*Fuxx Burger* said:

I don't think any of us understand the candy color coded alert system. I try not to pay attention to it. I'm more terrified of our own government than what some nameless, faceless terrorists might do to us.