First Jobs

gottoys? said:
Wow that's a heck of a list. I love your creative job titles 'sandwich artist' :fly:

I worked for a company called "Parallax" - what is their market?

What is the longest length you have worked for one company? :)

Parallax is in high-end printing and design. The longest I worked for a company was 3 years (fastsigns) and the shortest was 2 weeks (Sear's telecenter).

16 (summer job), CPI Photofinish - 1 hr photomat in the mall
17 (summer job), CPI Photofinish - ditto, same store
18, Dothan Eagle, Asst sports photographer
20, Local computer & music store, Computer parts shipping/receiving, computer tech, piano mover (no shit)
21, Auburn Alumni Center, Computer tech
22, Local computer store in Auburn, Computer tech
24, Vanderbilt University Nursing School, Lan Manager
26, BellSouth, Internet Security Manager (still here, different job)

Best job- photomat in the mall. Easy work. We were a new store so we weren't busy at all. Made friends with all the hot girls working at the Benneton's next door and the food court.
Worst job- can't say I have had one. I've had shitty bosses at good jobs, but no truly shitty jobs.

SpangeMonkee said:
Parallax is in high-end printing and design. The longest I worked for a company was 3 years (fastsigns) and the shortest was 2 weeks (Sear's telecenter).

Nope not the same market.

The second job I held was at MacDonalds - lastest 3 days. That's the shortest length for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora said:
:lol: :pandora:

I use to chase a forign kid around the playground when I was like 7. "Girls chase boys!" Once we caught up to the boys we'd push them to the ground and pinch them. :fly:

:) That's cute, this however is almost degrading because we were harassing a 35 year old guy from India. We also used to call his extension at the copy center and make him page people in the store for example (as I'm sure you all may have already guessed)...

*In bad Hindi accent*

"Mike Hunt has a call in the copy center. Mike Hunt needs to come to the copier center now please."

I got my first job at 16 at K-mart making $4.25 an hour. I worked there for 4 years and by the time I left when I was 20, I was making $8.65 an hour as the Garden Shop Manager.

My first job was as a lighting/sound tech at school, for the county, and for the Baltimore Stage and Lighting co. They all kind of worked together. It was fun cause I had keys to a good place to smoke up at school (catwalks). I could sleep in the theater booth during the day while I was supposed to be in classes too. We had a comfy couch and a fridge and a microwave.

The work was fun too I guess except the ancient lighting board we had for a few years would sometimes try to electrocute me while I was trying to run lights for a play or band production or something. It paid well for being a teen ($5-10/hour depending on the event), and meant I got to stay out and hang out until after midnight on school nights. When I was 14 that was a big deal to me.

eileenbunny said:
My first job was as a lighting/sound tech at school, for the county, and for the Baltimore Stage and Lighting co. They all kind of worked together. It was fun cause I had keys to a good place to smoke up at school (catwalks). I could sleep in the theater booth during the day while I was supposed to be in classes too. We had a comfy couch and a fridge and a microwave.

The work was fun too I guess except the ancient lighting board we had for a few years would sometimes try to electrocute me while I was trying to run lights for a play or band production or something. It paid well for being a teen ($5-10/hour depending on the event), and meant I got to stay out and hang out until after midnight on school nights. When I was 14 that was a big deal to me.

sounds like my subway job in a way. the subway was located near a buncha bars. I'd hook up the bartenders and they'd hook me up when I got off of work. I would get hammered on a school night when I was 17.

ERage said:
:) That's cute, this however is almost degrading because we were harassing a 35 year old guy from India. We also used to call his extension at the copy center and make him page people in the store for example (as I'm sure you all may have already guessed)...

*In bad Hindi accent*

"Mike Hunt has a call in the copy center. Mike Hunt needs to come to the copier center now please."

We actaully have a sales guy who calls on us named Michael Hunt. I don't think his parents liked him very much

From the time I was 12 - 18 I baby sat. For neighbors and for some of my high school teachers. I never set an hourly rate and did much better than those that did.

Then I went to College and worked in Office services, making copies, binding, making calendars, fixing copiers, etc. I was a hostess at Mick's as well. Quit that when I got sick of my boss never knowing my name (cupcake, sugar, baby, sweetie), the kitchen staff making up fun names for me (jiggles, and sunshine, I actually liked sunshine, one of the wiaters asking to borrow my dresses and nail polish (if all the old people who loved him and asked for his section onlyknew that he was a cross dresser) and the manager telling me that all I had to do was stand there and look pretty. The I joined the IT help group at Agness. Moved back to Tampa and work at a temp agnecy and then as an office manager for a construction company. Then moved back to Atlanta and was a contract administrator for an Environmental construction company. Then Sales at a Steamship line and now Customer service at a Forwarder. Thats my story.

JJ Lady said:
We actaully have a sales guy who calls on us named Michael Hunt. I don't think his parents liked him very much

From the time I was 12 - 18 I baby sat. For neighbors and for some of my high school teachers. I never set an hourly rate and did much better than those that did.

Then I went to College and worked in Office services, making copies, binding, making calendars, fixing copiers, etc. I was a hostess at Mick's as well. Quit that when I got sick of my boss never knowing my name (cupcake, sugar, baby, sweetie), the kitchen staff making up fun names for me (jiggles, and sunshine, I actually liked sunshine, one of the wiaters asking to borrow my dresses and nail polish (if all the old people who loved him and asked for his section onlyknew that he was a cross dresser) and the manager telling me that all I had to do was stand there and look pretty. The I joined the IT help group at Agness. Moved back to Tampa and work at a temp agnecy and then as an office manager for a construction company. Then moved back to Atlanta and was a contract administrator for an Environmental construction company. Then Sales at a Steamship line and now Customer service at a Forwarder. Thats my story.

wow - great story!

You have something in common with both April and Bubbles regarding jobs.

since some of us are naming ages I'll bite.

16 cartpusher at Walmart
16 Jr. Technology Analyst (deskside support. 3hrs a day 12pm to 3:30) Florence City Schools. Held to Graduation
17 Pets dept stocker at Walmart
17 Electronics at Walmart.
18 Hardlines stock at Sam's Club
20 Computer Salesman at Circuit City
20 Tier 1 phone support for Bellsouth.net (helpdesk by Compaq Computer)
21 In home technician at Geeks2go, a now dead local store. Easily the worst job I've had.
22 Lead (only) Technician for Microcenter Gwinnett.
24 Helpdesk at Turner Broadcasting. Possibly a job change within the company soon.

As for the worst job Geeks I'll break it down since I can go on for hours about it.
1. a large majority of our paychecks bounced. it often would take almost two weeks for it to clear.
2. Owner was litterally a crackhead/weedhead with insommina. Several times I saved his ass by putting away his bong before he brought customers back to his office.
3. Owner had habit of promising the impossible. such as me traveling from Alpharetta to Decatur (about an hour drive) within 20 minutes
4. Owner would specifically be told over the phone my modem was struck by lightning. it needs to be replaced. would put virus removal on the ticket. making you unprepared.

and so on. The only thing I got from that place is stress management techniques, ability to think on my feet quickly an a sense to overprepare for just about everything just in case.

um, pre-working age, i wouldnt really call this a job but i helped my uncle and cousins clean and wax convienient store floors very late at night or early morning. i thought it was great cause i got to stay up but my dad didnt let me go all the time. one time, i was playing with lighters, making the flame shoot a couple feet, and went running down one of the eisles. i caught an advertisement hanging from the ceiling on fire. :fly:

my first real, paying job was painting, dry-wall repair, hanging wallpaper during the summers.

JJ Lady said:
I was a hostess at Mick's as well. Quit that when I got sick of my boss never knowing my name (cupcake, sugar, baby, sweetie), the kitchen staff making up fun names for me (jiggles, and sunshine, I actually liked sunshine, one of the wiaters asking to borrow my dresses and nail polish (if all the old people who loved him and asked for his section onlyknew that he was a cross dresser) and the manager telling me that all I had to do was stand there and look pretty.

Oh sister, been there, done that, got the t-shirt :heart:

I had alot of nicknames while working in foodservice, Sunshine was actualy one of them! They also called me shortie, milky, riki, and bubbles. :fly:

I babysat from the time I was like 10. Then I also had a paper route for a few years.
My first "real job" was the summer before my senior year of h.s. It was at this tiny local telemarketing place. WE basically sold magazines to people who would call in after they recieved a postcard that we were trying to reach us. Two of my friends worked there and we all got put on the same shifts. We had a great time, we'd sit around bullshitting with the owners son who was about 10 years older than us, and all his friends who came in. Some nights after work I'd stay around and hang out with him and he'd show me dumb websites like rotten.com. Totally gross when you are 17. One time I got in fight with my boss and we were screaming at each other- can't remember why- and she started crying and called the owner. The owner adored me and came and picked me and the other 2 girls up and took us for ice cream :)

gottoys? said:
Did the guys at the driving range try to hit your cart? :fly:

What movie was that?

I think any movie that has had a golf course has probably had a segment on this. And yes, they would try. They would also mostly fail. Even people that thought they got a hit in probably missed.