First 9/11 themed movie

InnerMuse said:
Edit: :rant: We should all be more mindful of others and our surroundings. If you look at religions from a philosophical perspective as opposed to the "letter of the Bible" as it were, religions might be more bearable. The fanatics take it to an unhealthy level. Besides, isn't there a sect of Mormons that have the whole polygamy thing?

:rolleyes: , you realize that whole statement contradicted itself, right?

And no, there is no recognized "sect" of "Mormonism" that practices polygamy.

You and I are going to get along just fine.

This thread has turned into an awesome religious discussion thread.

No doubt zengirl will be along in no time with her interesting and thought provoking views. right?

Sarcasmo said:
Oh how many things this explains.

I think if I was raised real Mormon, it would've been different. Well, prolly not. I just wouldn't had to have said, "no, I'm not mormon.."

I don't know though.. I just really hated goin' to church. I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. It also pissed me off that I had to tithe 10% of everything I earned. If I raked some leaves for $10, it made no sense that I had to give a buck to somebody I didn't even like.

SpangeMonkee said:
I think if I was raised real Mormon, it would've been different. Well, prolly not. I just wouldn't had to have said, "no, I'm not mormon.."

I don't know though.. I just really hated goin' to church. I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. It also pissed me off that I had to tithe 10% of everything I earned. If I raked some leaves for $10, it made no sense that I had to give a buck to somebody I didn't even like.

It burns just as much when you make $40k, but I do it by choice. I won't get further into the religion (as I try to avoid doing), but there are benefits to paying tithing in both the long and short term (this is just my belief, I hope no one feels threatened or that I'm trying to preach).

KNYTE said:
It burns just as much when you make $40k, but I do it by choice. I won't get further into the religion (as I try to avoid doing), but there are benefits to paying tithing in both the long and short term (this is just my belief, I hope no one feels threatened or that I'm trying to preach).

tithe all day long. that's your choice, but as a child, it was not for me. plus, all the people there were fuckin' faaaaaaaaaaaake.

SpangeMonkee said:
tithe all day long. that's your choice, but as a child, it was not for me. plus, all the people there were fuckin' faaaaaaaaaaaake.

Well, people being fake is something you'll find anywhere you go. The problem with Mormons is that some of them take it to extremes, especially in Utah. The concern for being a community outcast (which is unfortunately a very real concern) because of their "sins" or lack of faith, is so strong here that people go to great lengths to put on a "look how much more religious I am than you are" face, then (as an example) go home and overdose on muscle relaxants (my friend in high school's dad).

My biggest complaint about my religion has always been some of the people I come across in it, even to the point that I didn't go to church for 3 years, and I have to remember that the people aren't what it's about.

Last edited:
I dated a mormon girl once, and even went to church with her. I don't know if all mormon churches are the same, but the one here sucks. All they do is take turns at the microphone saying "I know this is the one true church because..."

It's the reason I can't stand religion. The focus is so disappointingly narrow.

Sarcasmo said:
I dated a mormon girl once, and even went to church with her. I don't know if all mormon churches are the same, but the one here sucks. All they do is take turns at the microphone saying "I know this is the one true church because..."

Needs more explosions?

Galen said:
Needs more explosions?

:drool:, now that's my ideal religion. Mormonism mixed with explosives. :cool:

Sarcasmo said:

You of course would be lucky enough that the one time you go is Testimony meeting (a once a month meeting where the members get up and talk about the church/their feelings), for the most part they are pretty narrow unfortunately.

Last edited:
Galen said:
Needs more explosions?

Not explosions, just something more than empty words. "It's real. Seriously. Seriously. No, seriously." I used to be very religious until I realized that the only thing that separates one religion from another is distance between the churches.

It's always the same shtick. "God likes cappucino, but not coffee. He prefers Ford over Audi, BMW, or Chevrolet. He wears blue jeans on Tuesdays, and plays backgammon with Jesus, Satan, and Winston Churchill on the third Wednesday of the month. He does NOT like sports, and he does NOT wish for us to drill for oil in Alaska. He sends hurricanes not to punish us for political transgressions, but rather because he enjoys the feel of wind in his hair. He has a trendy goatee and green eyes. He has a summer home in the Crab nebula."

Every single thing we attribute to God or Jesus or the Earth Mother or whoever you choose to worship is pure unsubstantiated drivel, and it's so sacrilegious it's offensive. We put words in their mouths, thoughts in their heads, and even decorate their apartments for them. They are what we say they are.

I have no use for religion, and no patience for speculation of that scope. Instead of presumptuous statements such as "this is who God is and this is who God isn't" we should be out there maximizing the usefulness and efficacy of our species.

Religion doesn't set me free or complete me, it holds me back. I don't let other people define my relationship with my son, so why would I let them define my relationship with God? When it comes to him I'm the only one who knows what's best, and when I need him I just pray.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
You of course would be lucky enough that the one time you go is Testimony meeting (a once a month meeting where the members get up and talk about the church/their feelings), for the most part they are pretty narrow unfortunately.

:lol:

Is that what that was? The girl I was with never once said what you just said. I left there and have spent all of my time since assuming that that's just how the church is. That's funny.

Sarcasmo said:
:lol:

Is that what that was? The girl I was with never once said what you just said. I left there and have spent all of my time since assuming that that's just how the church is. That's funny.

this is a great example of how religion is so quickly shunned away. (read: i'm not talking at you, sarcasmo...)
people are so often turned off once by something, they dismiss the whole damn thing and say, "i tried." people are so skeptical, almost waiting for that one thing to go wrong so they can say, well, i KNOW about THAT religion because i've BEEN there and i just HATED it. i've been, i've experienced, it's not for me.

religion is so in depth and so saturated that i don't see how people can just disagree with one when they don't know a lot about it. it's so easy to have a misconception or a preconception about some religion and not even bother to study up on it to see if you're right or wrong with your perception.
four idiots stormed my church back home, pushed over the 500-lb. marble, old-ass altar IN THE MIDDLE OF MASS, and said they were rebelling against catholics because they prayed to statues. COMETHEFUCKON. if you're going to commit a crime in front of dozens and dozens of people (one of which a police officer,) if you're going to go to jail, if you're going to make a statement or whatever, if you're going to break a piece of history, AT LEAST GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT. was it worth all that just to be wrong???
i don't care what you believe or what you don't...who you hate and you you don't...what statements you want to make or not...just please be educated on the subject you're passionate about. it just makes sense to know what you're talking about, right?

So I watched this movie, and it actually wasn't half bad. Very sad and depressing at times, as could be expected I guess, considering the subject matter. Something about knowing that you are going to die in the very near future and calling your family to say goodbye. It wasn't overacted or melodramatic at all, and it pretty much portrayed events in the same way I imagined them.

On a side note, it's a bit alarming how a few men with sharp objects can so easily dominate an entire airplane of people. The ones on 93 had a "bomb" too, but I don't recall that about the other planes. The fear factor is apparently a lot more powerful than I give it credit for. I always imagine myself throwing my head back like Begby and plowing some arab in the nuts (Trainspotting, noob), but who knows? I'm a pretty angry person sometimes, and I love to fight, but I've also never been in that situation. *shrug*

Anyway, if you're curious about the events of that day from the perspective of an air traffic controller, or a farmer, or the pilot of a private aircraft, or a terrified family member watching it unfold on t.v., I thought it was a decent flick.

Sarcasmo said:
...On a side note, it's a bit alarming how a few men with sharp objects can so easily dominate an entire airplane of people...

No one will ever be able to take over a plane with knives again (possibly any conventional weapon for that matter). For 20 years society and the media has taught us "cooperate with the terrorists, keep your head down, and you will not be harmed" so the people on the planes did that thinking they'd walk away from it. What we all learned from 9-11 is that this is not the case. The terrorist don't care about you, your family, or your life. If people (at least Americans) are ever again caught on a plane against men with knives I imagine they will fight back. I personally would grab up a seat belt or lunch tray and whomp somebody's ass.

KNYTE said:
No one will ever be able to take over a plane with knives again (possibly any conventional weapon for that matter). For 20 years society and the media has taught us "cooperate with the terrorists, keep your head down, and you will not be harmed" so the people on the planes did that thinking they'd walk away from it. What we all learned from 9-11 is that this is not the case. The terrorist don't care about you, your family, or your life. If people (at least Americans) are ever again caught on a plane against men with knives I imagine they will fight back. I personally would grab up a seat belt or lunch tray and whomp somebody's ass.

I've been cut before. It goes numb and bleeds a lot but that's about it. If you want to kill me you're going to have to do better than that.