Fireside Chat: Racism, N-word, etc

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,291
Steam
mattressfish
So, let me tell you my thoughts on what happens on the forum here, then we can all discuss it...

We currently have a no racism rule here. For better or worse, that means no N-word or personal attacks. We've let the "funny" racist jokes slide. There are two reasons for the strong reaction to the N-word:

1) I've seen rampant racism on plenty of large forums. Many times and/or for lengthy periods of time, its the only "funny" meme. A lot of us post from work. I don't know about you, but I really don't want my work to see that I'm posting on a website laden with N-word, since its just about the most inflammatory racist word available.

2) The N-word is pretty much the lowest hanging fruit in the racism tree. If you can keep that word out of the forum vernacular, the rest seem to stay away as well.

Overall, I think the rules have worked pretty well. However, the changing of the spelling of the word has to stop. For the same reason that [ADMIN EDIT] had to stop (for those that remember that). Simply replacing the word with something else doesn't change the word.

That said, we have a couple of options as I see it. We can either REALLY clamp down on anything even remotely racism, which I really don't want to do. Not only does that cause me more work, but draconian moderation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Or the other option would be for you guys to just settle down with this stuff. I'm willing to do option one, but would really prefer option two.

Now that I've said my piece, I'd like to know what you guys think about it. I'm always open to suggestions.

We should be able to control ourselves as adults rather than mods be super strict. If we see someone doing it then we remind them of the rules and they reedit their post. If not or they become belligerent about it then ban them for a day.

But the question remains the same: Can white people say "[Admin Edit]"? And the answer's the same: not really. But wait a minute, there's one exception. There's one exception. There's one instance where white people can say [Admin Edit]. And I'ma let it out tonight. I'ma let it out here in Johannesburg. The one time that white people can say [Admin Edit]. White people are like "this is what I paid for! It's a fuckin' great night now!" The one time white people can say [Admin Edit]: here it goes; listen closely. 'Cause I may never say this shit again. The one time white people can say [Admin Edit], OK: if it's Christmas Eve, and it's between 4:30 and 4:49 in the morning. If you white, and you're on your way to Toys 'R' Us to get your kid the last Transformer doll, and right before you walk into Toys 'R' Us, some black person runs up beside you, smacks you in the head with a brick, knocks you to the ground, stomps on your face--"take that, you cracker-ass motherfucker!" Riverdances on your head--"take that, you cracker-ass motherfucker!" Takes your money, pisses on you, and runs away--if you white, at that moment, you can say "Somebody stop that [Admin Edit]!" Matter of fact, if you white and that happens to you, you can say [Admin Edit] for a whole month! But you gotta walk around with the police report in your pocket. In case any black people catch you sayin' [Admin Edit], the police report will act as your freedom papers. "Hey, I heard you saying [Admin Edit]; let me see your fuckin' papers. Gimme the papers; show me the papers!" [pretends to read a sheet] "Christmas Eve! 4:48! You just made it, motherfucker! Pissed on you! ...I hope they catch that [Admin Edit]!"

What if the person that he called a faggot...was acting like a faggot? You don't have to be gay to act like a faggot. You don't even have to be a man to act like a faggot. Anybody can act like a faggot. Let me give you an example: I love Gwen Stefani. I think No Doubt is one of the best groups in the world; I keep a No Doubt CD in my car and I sing that shit to the end. I'm like "don't speak, I know just what you're sayin', oh, please stop explainin'"...I won't even get out my car 'til the shit's over. I'm like "you know you're good, you know you're real good...la-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la-la, [high pitched] Don't! Don't!" I fuckin' love me some Gwen Stefani! Now, if I'm drivin' my car, and I'm at the light, and you in the car behind me, and the light's red, and I'm just sittin' there blasting some Gwen Stefani and I'm like "ain't no hollaback girl! Ain't no hollaback girl! Ain't no hollaback!" And you in the car behind me and the light's red--cool. But then the light turns green. And I don't see it, because I'm in Gwen Stefani heaven. And I'm just goin' "Ain't no hollaback girl! Ain't no hollaback girl! Ain't no hollaback!" Now the light starts fuckin' blinking! It's gettin' ready to turn red again, and I *still* don't see it, and I'm in my car going "This shit is bananas! B-na-na-na-nas! This shit is bananas! B-na-na-na-nas!" Now if you in the car behind me, and that light's gettin' ready to turn red, and I'm going "this shit is bananas! B-na-na-na-nas!" If you in the car behind me, you have the right to go "HEY, FAGGOT! The light's about to change!" Shit, even Elton John would call me a faggot at that moment. It's not the word, it's the context in which the word is bein' said!

yeah, stop being jerks about this. it's a pain in the ass and a total drag to have to ban any of you

There shouldn't be a gray area at all. If it's racist then it's racist. The N-word isn't any less offensive that Sand N-word to a Arab or faggot to a homosexual. Well you get the point. We are all adults and most of us friends so we know what we can and can't say.

There shouldn't be a gray area at all. If it's racist then it's racist. The N-word isn't any less offensive that Sand N-word to a Arab or faggot to a homosexual. Well you get the point. We are all adults and most of us friends so we know what we can and can't say.

The question is though, is it only offensive when it's said by someone you don't know? I mean, if you know the person who said it didn't mean it contextually or otherwise to be demeaning or offensive, is it still offensive that it was said?

herding_cats.jpg

The question is though, is it only offensive when it's said by someone you don't know? I mean, if you know the person who said it didn't mean it contextually or otherwise to be demeaning or offensive, is it still offensive that it was said?

I don't think this was meant as a debate. it's either choice A or B

Are you just banning the N word or other words which other demographics might find highly offensive? I mean singling out only the black derrogative is in itself racist.

I call racism on your use of the word "gray."

Seriously. That's practically white supremacy.

Essentially you're saying stay in the white [code for: pure. acceptable. proper.] area. Anything that could be interpreted as slightly black [code for: well, I think we all know exactly what YOU mean] is wrong.

Personally, I like ALL the colors of the rainbow. And black and white that are not in the rainbow. And, even groups that use black, white, and/or rainbows in their logos.

I'm color neutral.

:D

But the question remains the same: Can white people say "[Admin Edit]"? And the answer's the same: not really. But wait a minute, there's one exception. There's one exception. There's one instance where white people can say [Admin Edit]. And I'ma let it out tonight. I'ma let it out here in Johannesburg. The one time that white people can say [Admin Edit]. White people are like "this is what I paid for! It's a fuckin' great night now!" The one time white people can say [Admin Edit]: here it goes; listen closely. 'Cause I may never say this shit again. The one time white people can say [Admin Edit], OK: if it's Christmas Eve, and it's between 4:30 and 4:49 in the morning. If you white, and you're on your way to Toys 'R' Us to get your kid the last Transformer doll, and right before you walk into Toys 'R' Us, some black person runs up beside you, smacks you in the head with a brick, knocks you to the ground, stomps on your face--"take that, you cracker-ass motherfucker!" Riverdances on your head--"take that, you cracker-ass motherfucker!" Takes your money, pisses on you, and runs away--if you white, at that moment, you can say "Somebody stop that [Admin Edit]!" Matter of fact, if you white and that happens to you, you can say [Admin Edit] for a whole month! But you gotta walk around with the police report in your pocket. In case any black people catch you sayin' [Admin Edit], the police report will act as your freedom papers. "Hey, I heard you saying [Admin Edit]; let me see your fuckin' papers. Gimme the papers; show me the papers!" [pretends to read a sheet] "Christmas Eve! 4:48! You just made it, motherfucker! Pissed on you! ...I hope they catch that [Admin Edit]!"

Man Chris Rock cracks me up.

Are you just banning the N word or other words which other demographics might find highly offensive? I mean singling out only the black derrogative is in itself racist.

I really don't want to turn this into a philosophical discussion. See #2 in my OP. In my mind, blocking that main word (helps?) prevent all the other racist crap.